• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM099: Eievui, Where Are You Going? To Go Anywhere to Meet Up!

I wish everyone could have watched this episode unfettered by expectations RE Eevee's capture, because it was a banger. Great music and animation? Check. Domestic antics chez Suiren, including her mum making Kyogre jokes and the introduction of her dad? Check. Ashimari proving, yet again, that she is the most relatable Alolan starter? Check. Tupper wanting to catch Eevee so he could be as much a stud as Ilima, then fighting with Wrap over it? Check. Another Serena-esque dramatic haircut?! Check!!

As for the controversy, I am least bothered. Disclosure of interest: it's no secret that I was dead set against Satoshi capturing Eevee. BUT. Can you imagine how obnoxious a pair Satoshi and an Eevee with a very similar personality but 100x the energy would be? It would have been worse than Lizardon/Goukazaru/Geckouga for being a limelight-hog in the last year of the series and we'd all have gotten sick of the cutesy shtick long before the end.

For those of you concerned that Eevee will not get enough exposure - hasn't it had enough bloody exposure in the last 20 years?! In all seriousness, this could be the enabler for Suiren to get to do much more with her Pokemon. (After all (see capture/evolution/bitching thread) there is some upcoming Oshamari merch.) It's about damn time that one of the girls in SM got another Pokemon and/or fought a half-decent Pokemon match. God forbid Satoshi is not front and centre 24/7.

I wish everyone could have watched this episode unfettered by expectations RE Eevee's capture, because it was a banger. Great music and animation? Check. Domestic antics chez Suiren, including her mum making Kyogre jokes and the introduction of her dad? Check. Ashimari proving, yet again, that she is the most relatable Alolan starter? Check. Tupper wanting to catch Eevee so he could be as much a stud as Ilima, then fighting with Wrap over it? Check. Another Serena-esque dramatic haircut?! Check!!

As for the controversy, I am least bothered. Disclosure of interest: it's no secret that I was dead set against Satoshi capturing Eevee. BUT. Can you imagine how obnoxious a pair Satoshi and an Eevee with a very similar personality but 100x the energy would be? It would have been worse than Lizardon/Goukazaru/Geckouga for being a limelight-hog in the last year of the series and we'd all have gotten sick of the cutesy shtick long before the end.

For those of you concerned that Eevee will not get enough exposure - hasn't it had enough bloody exposure in the last 20 years?! In all seriousness, this could be the enabler for Suiren to get to do much more with her Pokemon. (After all (see capture/evolution/bitching thread) there is some upcoming Oshamari merch.) It's about damn time that one of the girls in SM got another Pokemon and/or fought a half-decent Pokemon match. God forbid Satoshi is not front and centre 24/7.

Lana is neither the protagonist nor the main girl, so that alone means she's not going to get to do anything with Eevee.

1. She is one of the main protagonists, whether you like the idea of having 6 protags or not.
2. THERE IS NO MAIN GIRL IN THE SM ANIME. People just like the idea of Lillie being "main girl" because they can't separate the anime from the games, or, in some cases, reality from their waifu fantasies.

1. She is one of the main protagonists, whether you like the idea of having 6 protags or not.
2. THERE IS NO MAIN GIRL IN THE SM ANIME. People just like the idea of Lillie being "main girl" because they can't separate the anime from the games, or, in some cases, reality from their waifu fantasies.

There is a main girl because every anime series has one. XY had both Serena and Bonnie, but people still called Serena the main one because she was. Same with Lillie.

The fact that Lillie is the most prominent one in the merchandise and marketing makes her the main one.

:rolleyes: Fine you win, I don't care enough.
You're all still wrong though...

There is a main girl because every anime series has one. XY had both Serena and Bonnie, but people still called Serena the main one because she was. Same with Lillie.

The fact that Lillie is the most prominent one in the merchandise and marketing makes her the main one.
SM has broken many traditions, so don't take that for granted.
:rolleyes: Fine you win, I don't care enough.
You're all still wrong though...
Hey, I agree with you. Lillie was only prominent because she had a big arc dedicated to her, with buildup that started right from the first episode. But now that it's over, other girls like Lana can get to shine too.

I wish everyone could have watched this episode unfettered by expectations RE Eevee's capture [...]

I mean it's not like all the advertising done for the season made it seem like Ash will be the one to catch it. It's not like the poster for this season (which has Eevee being closer to Ash than it is to Lana), the ending (where it is seen interacting with Pikachu during the sunset scene and it and Pikachu having mirrored positions during the "Rotom picture" scene), the fact that the Partner Eevee can only be obtained by the games' main character (with Ash always being the counterpart the male player characters) or the preview for this episode (whose last scene was Eevee interacting with Pikachu) - it's not like all this things were designed to place the idea the Ash will catch this Eevee into the audience's mind. And , most certainly, it's not like people have been asking for Ash to have an Eevee ever since the little rascal grew in popularity and 2 of his companions (as well as some of his rivals) already obtained, raised and evolved one each.

In short, it's not like the entire advertising campaign was misleading (at least to a degree).

Now, does this capture suddenly make this episode objectively bad/good/THE WORST ONE EV3R!!!!! ? I don't know, I ain't an anime critic. But does it feel at least a little underwhelming? Kindda, yes? I mean, for compresence's sake, it's like going to the Diablo panel at BlizzCon, having the developers hype the fans for some outstanding special announcement, only for them to reveal a subpar mobile game and saying that they have no plans for a Diablo 4. One would call it an out of season April's Fool joke, but most would just settle for the term "misleading". Some could watch this episode and have no problem with them pulling a 180. Others, for reasons I've mentioned above, might feel disappointed, lied to or even angry.

I guess what I'm trying to say is just because you could ignore all of this controversy and appreciate that Lana finally got to be relevant (however, with Sun & Moon, who knows how long it will be 'till she does anything interesting again), it doesn't mean that other don't have a reason to hate the notion of "Lana caught Eevee" or that they are blinded by nostalgia (or whatever you tried to insinuate with your Charizard/Infernape/Greninja comment). Just because you can tolerate what they did, doesn't mean that the others' opinions aren't justified.

... and I just noticed the novel I just wrote. Sorry in advanced for making such an essay.

I don't think you really needed to throw shade on well structured characters/plots in different aspects of the past series to justify something relatively irrelevant.
Clearly my phrasing leaves something to be desired as at least 2 people did not take this comment as intended... I am not trying to throw shade on their plots (personally I think Goukazaru is the gold-standard Pokemon-driven story arc), simply point out that there have been plentiful complaints in the past about a single of Satoshi's Pokemon taking the important tail-end spotlight, leaving his other Pokemon high & dry. Taking the example of Goukazaru, people still point fingers that it is the reason that Dodaitose got shafted.

At least in Eevee's case this, which I personally feared, cannot happen. You may think that is relatively irrelevant to the rationale behind giving Suiren the marketing fox, but I think it is of critical significance to satisfactorily completing the developmental arcs of Mokuroh, Nyaheat and Lugarugan come League time. Both Haruka and Serena's Eevee's managed to make memorable contributions; I don't think that not belonging to Satoshi will negatively impact this Eevee any more than it did them.

In short, it's not like the entire advertising campaign was misleading (at least to a degree).
Just because you can tolerate what they did, doesn't mean that the others' opinions aren't justified.
Hey, I'm not disagreeing with that. I too thought Satoshi would catch it until last week's preview. I'm also not saying that people who wanted Satoshi to catch it are wrong to feel upset, I have also been disappointed by Pokeani in my life, I get it.

I'm simply saying that:
- outside of this "controversy" it was a good episode
- it might be too early to declare the end outcome an international disaster - we don't know what's in store for the new year after all

I really didn't like that shaggy hairstyle from day one so I'm very relieved to see it get tamed. No, I don't care how much controversy this may generate, Nagisa is way more adorable now and I'm not going back on this.

Although I get why people wanted Ash to get this Eevee (let's be honest, he needed a new Pokémon more than Lana since he's the definite Alola League participant), I'm overall satisfied with the result. The whole Eevee debacle actually reminds me of that time with Togepi years and years ago now that I look back on the last six weeks, where Ash looked like he may have a new catch in his near future only for the Pokémon to basically say "no thanks i want that girl plz". In retrospect, this matter ought to have been sealed from the moment Nagisa and Popplio became good friends. If it was going to be with Ash, wouldn't it have made more sense to have Pikachu be the one interacting with it today?

Besides, I personally love it that Lana got to catch Nagisa in the same general manner as Popplio; rushing to the rescue when they were being harrassed by Team Skull. That's an adorable touch.

We must face the facts, people. The writers are trolls who either pull a bait-and-switch filler or give the hyped Pokémon to minor or even temporary characters. Ash will never win a league, will remain 10 until the heat death of the universe, and will never catch an Eevee. I wouldn't be surprised if ratings plummet because of this.

And even if Ash did catch Nagisa, it still would've been doomed to be left at Oak's lab forever or released back into the wild, completely forgotten by Ash and the writers even if Generation VIII introduces another Eeveelution (but Nagisa is based on the Partner Eevee, so it's never going to evolve). From a certain point of view, being caught by someone who will be written out and forgotten in a year's time is a better fate, because at least Lana would take Nagisa with her for their offscreen adventures.

What's next, Kiawe takes on Team Magma? Lillie vs Plasma? Sophocles vs Aqua? Ash vs Galactic?

Probably if the anime's writers have already forgotten they were already defeated, and opt to reintroduce them for the current audience. It wouldn't be through Team Rainbow Rocket, however.

So Mallow gets to curbstomp Team Rocket in her episodes

Lana curbstomps Team Skull

What's next, Kiawe takes on Team Magma? Lillie vs Plasma? Sophocles vs Aqua? Ash vs Galactic?

Everyone curbstomps Team Skull. Ash has done it twice. Kiawe has done it. Lana has done it. Team Rocket has done it. Gladion has done it. Ilima has done it.

Team Skull is the cast's punching bag.

We must face the facts, people. The writers are trolls who either pull a bait-and-switch filler or give the hyped Pokémon to minor or even temporary characters. Ash will never win a league, will remain 10 until the heat death of the universe, and will never catch an Eevee. I wouldn't be surprised if ratings plummet because of this.

Given that they provided context clues as to Lana capturing Eevee in both the opening AND the Eevee shorts, I’d say that this one is moreso on us for hyping something up while not considering every piece of information we got. Whether Lana getting Eevee was a good decision in itself or not is subjective, but you can’t honestly say that the writers tricked us when they tried to tell us what was going to happen.

Well dang, they went there after all :confused:
I'll mail them a Water-Stone. Though maybe this will help give Lana her groove back.

Though Team Skull was in top form. They may be total butt monkeys, but this time they were hilarious! :ROFLMAO:

Though here's what I'm curious about for later: 1) I guess TPCI wont have to bother with the Eevee shorts after all since the beginning of the episode covered the highlights, and 2) what will they call "Nagisa"? "Sunny" perhaps?o_O

Last edited:
Clearly my phrasing leaves something to be desired as at least 2 people did not take this comment as intended... I am not trying to throw shade on their plots (personally I think Goukazaru is the gold-standard Pokemon-driven story arc), simply point out that there have been plentiful complaints in the past about a single of Satoshi's Pokemon taking the important tail-end spotlight, leaving his other Pokemon high & dry. Taking the example of Goukazaru, people still point fingers that it is the reason that Dodaitose got shafted.

At least in Eevee's case this, which I personally feared, cannot happen. You may think that is relatively irrelevant to the rationale behind giving Suiren the marketing fox, but I think it is of critical significance to satisfactorily completing the developmental arcs of Mokuroh, Nyaheat and Lugarugan come League time. Both Haruka and Serena's Eevee's managed to make memorable contributions; I don't think that not belonging to Satoshi will negatively impact this Eevee any more than it did them.
Given the way that Sun and Moon has shaped up when it comes to the development of Ash's pokemon, I can't really agree with this concern. While in he past there had been clear cases of one pokemon overshadowing the others of the team, Sun and Moon has fairly divided the development of Ash's pokemon. Through the course of the series we saw Lycanroc develop even before Ash caught it and continue to develop even after being caught and evolving. Likewise with Torracat who has had its own subplot even before being caught which led to its development. Really the only one who didn't receive proper development out of Ash's pokemon is Rowlett and the writers really make no secret out of the fact that it basically exists mostly as a gag pokemon so it's never going to recieve serious development like the others. Had they given Ash Eevee, I don't think it would have been any different even as an advertisement pokemon as with Sun and Moon, there is no main member of the team.

In the past May and Serena's Eevees got to have memorable contributions but that can also be attributed to the fact that their trainers had their own event that would act as a vehicle to allow more chances to shine via the Contests and Showcases. Lana on the other hand has no such thing nor does her character shtick give much to create memorable moments especially having to fight for screentime with Sun and Moon's bloated cast compared to previous sagas.

I'm not sure what is so surprising about Suiren's getting it. I've been saying it since beginning that one of the girls will get it, because LGPE ads treated it as the female equivalent of Pikachu, and it would be weird to give both Pikachu and Eievui to Satoshi. Not to mention that Suiren can join the league now, with Kaki and Satoshi.

Given that they provided context clues as to Lana capturing Eevee in both the opening AND the Eevee shorts, I’d say that this one is moreso on us for hyping something up while not considering every piece of information we got. Whether Lana getting Eevee was a good decision in itself or not is subjective, but you can’t honestly say that the writers tricked us when they tried to tell us what was going to happen.
People were just upset that Poipole got released and they wanted something to fill that void.

People were just upset that Poipole got released and they wanted something to fill that void.

Honestly, I’m pretty disappointed that Poipole was released as well (especially since the preview for that episode kind of indicated that it would stay with the gang), but the reaction I saw on YouTube to this capture was — frankly — just ridiculous.

Honestly, I’m pretty disappointed that Poipole was released as well (especially since the preview for that episode kind of indicated that it would stay with the gang), but the reaction I saw on YouTube to this capture was — frankly — just ridiculous.
Yeah. People (including myself) wanted the girls to get second captures, and when it finally happens, they get pissed off and think that Ash (who already has 4 Pokemon) should catch Eevee instead.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom