• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I think we're looking at this Plusle/Minun thing the wrong way. Obviously this means we are getting a remake of Pokemon Ranger.

But on a serious note, I'm more concerned about what's up with the half-earth image. Does anyone know why it's in the picture?

gf has that globe in their building, it appears in all of their new years tweets iirc

Hey guys, I think we're looking at this Plusle/Minun thing the wrong way. Obviously this means we are getting a remake of Pokemon Ranger.

But on a serious note, I'm more concerned about what's up with the half-earth image. Does anyone know why it's in the picture?

1- Please, don't play with my feelings.

2- An American region? Please, do South/Central, not North America again.

No, X and Y are the entire graph. The negative numbers are sections of the X and Y axis, not a separate axis.

But those were always in reference to a third version connected to the games. Even if we take +- to be references to a coordinate plane, why would we have +- used for a game that wasn't tied to Kalos?

Only blue and red depending on what someone owns-there's also the black joycons that can be bought with a Switch, and they tend to be advertised about as much as the red/blue ones. (And we've had +- buttons since the Wii)

It's viewed as a main series by Game Freak. Since they're the ones naming the next games, I think their opinion on what counts as the first console game is the deciding factor here.

I don't think it's impossible that we could have a +-, but I don't think there's any reason to think it's any likelier than anything else.

Xy are the axis the +- are still part of the graph which is the entire thing. Graph doesnt = axis. The new region could have a tie to kalos. We dont know anything yet. Ruby and sapphire emerald are good examples vs red blue green if thats better. I had the impression the red and blue consoles were the main or first. Like 3ds appeared to mainly be red and blue. Yes lets go is main series but separate from the mainline rpg we are use to which is yet to be released on switch. I thought i was clear... But eh guess not. Of course nothing is more likelier yet. We dont know anything yet.

On a side note i still think the photo is a hint and i personally dont thonk plusle and minun are randomly there.
As for the globe i do think that it may be a hint to a game based on the americas in general. South america would be awesome with its amazon.

the +- are still part of the graph which is the entire thing.
What is the +-, if not part of the axis?
Graph doesnt = axis.
Yes, it does? It's literally just where points are in relation to the axis. Positive and negative numbers are just used to signal where a point is in relation to the two axis. (If the polarity of numbers was specifically relevant to a graph, wouldn't there be a term for it, like axis?)
I had the impression the red and blue consoles were the main or first. Like 3ds appeared to mainly be red and blue.
They're commonly used, but not always the case. The games on the Game Boy Color and DS never used red and blue.
es lets go is main series but separate from the mainline rpg we are use to which is yet to be released on switch. I thought i was clear... But eh guess not.
Yes, it's different. That doesn't mean it doesn't count as a main series game. Game Freak make the games, they get to decide these things. And as I said before, even if we as fans counted it as something different, that wouldn't mean that Game Freak would start considering the next game the "first" game on the Switch and change their approach to it.

Could be a hint as to the next region?

I can see the Americas.

What is the +-, if not part of the axis?

Yes, it does? It's literally just where points are in relation to the axis. Positive and negative numbers are just used to signal where a point is in relation to the two axis. (If the polarity of numbers was specifically relevant to a graph, wouldn't there be a term for it, like axis?)

They're commonly used, but not always the case. The games on the Game Boy Color and DS never used red and blue.

Yes, it's different. That doesn't mean it doesn't count as a main series game. Game Freak make the games, they get to decide these things. And as I said before, even if we as fans counted it as something different, that wouldn't mean that Game Freak would start considering the next game the "first" game on the Switch and change their approach to it.
The numbers are +-. They are needed for a graph. Otherwise its just points on an axis. Nothing to actually graph beyond axis line.
Im not talking about the games on the consoles.
Again im not saying they arent main series. And again im not redefining what gf said about lets go. This 2019 as gf said themselves would be the first mainline rpg game that we are use to.
However, im not further desecting this nor repeating. If not clear then reread my posts slower.
We can agree to disagree on what we think the 2019 games may be called. Its not like anything has been actually stated and it doesnt matter. Its opinion.

I know this will be the least accredited position, but what if Plusle and Minun are simply a way GF uses to refer to Nintendo Switch itself as a console? Cause all of their games are on the switch now so it's not that impossible for them to insert something that refers to the console they are using...

*crosses fingers*
C'mon Canada!

I was also thinking about the possibility of being inspired by Canada or Switzerland days ago, after read this:

What country do most Japanese like the most?

The author is daughter of a Japanese, grew up in Japan and now lives in NY (it's on her public profile), and I find really interesting that, even though she may have no relation with Pokémon, when asked which countries/places Japaneses like the most, she has responded precisely with the ones which we have regions inspired on: France, NY and Hawaii. Not only that, but she also pointed out how the Japaneses see these places, she says they see France as a utopian place, and Hawaii as a "vacation place", and well, that is exactly like Kalos and Alola were portrayed.

And well, Canada is among one of the most visited countries by Japaneses recently, if I'm not mistaken.

I continue with my previous bet about tho UK or China

I still believe on that stupid Plus and Minus rumor so I'm not resting until proven true.

probably never then.

If you are talking about that rumor that came out around xy~oras, it has already been proven to be fake. It said that Pokkén's teaser would be a main game, and then we saw that it was just a spin-off.

Last edited:
I was also thinking about the possibility of being inspired by Canada or Switzerland days ago, after read this:

What country Japaneses like the most?

The author is daughter of a Japanese, grew up in Japan and now lives in NY (it's on her public profile), and I find really interesting that, even though she may have no relation with Pokémon, when asked which countries/places Japaneses like the most, she has responded precisely with the ones which we have regions inspired on: France, NY and Hawaii. Not only that, but she also pointed out how the Japaneses see these places, she says they see France as a utopian place, and Hawaii as a "vacation place", and well, that is exactly like Kalos and Alola were portrayed.

And well, Canada is among one of the most visited countries by Japaneses recently, if I'm not mistaken.

I continue with my previous bet about tho UK or China

If you are talking about that rumor that came out around xy~oras, it has already been proven to be fake. It said that Pokkén's teaser would be a main game, and then we saw that it was just a spin-off.

I think canada would be pretty cool as well. Do you happen to know how they view canada?

I think canada would be pretty cool as well. Do you happen to know how they view canada?

Idk, but I don't think they have a such stereotyped view of Canada as much as they do about Hawaii and France, but from what I researched, I found this: "In a video interview, Japanese college students give their impressions of Canada. Most associated Canada with the usual suspects - maple syrup, the aurora, abundant nature, Niagara Falls and the cold." :p So, it doesn't has a "specific theme", like Kalos was an utopian place or like Alola was a "vacation place", although it is still a stereotyped view from a foreigner.

I think that Sinnoh has some influences from Canada. So, I think that if they want a cold place again, they could pick it.

Last edited:
The numbers are +-. They are needed for a graph. Otherwise its just points on an axis. Nothing to actually graph beyond axis line.
Then, by the same logic, Pokemon games named 3 and 6 are just as possible, because you need numbers to show where the points are.
Im not talking about the games on the consoles.
Then are you referring to games that start generations? Because that has even more exceptions to the blue/red pattern, since we can add Black and White and Sun and Moon.
This 2019 as gf said themselves would be the first mainline rpg game that we are use to.
They never said anything about it being the first, they just said it was made with the intent of appealing to older fans.
If not clear then reread my posts slower.
That's very patronizing.

Then, by the same logic, Pokemon games named 3 and 6 are just as possible, because you need numbers to show where the points are.

Then are you referring to games that start generations? Because that has even more exceptions to the blue/red pattern, since we can add Black and White and Sun and Moon.

They never said anything about it being the first, they just said it was made with the intent of appealing to older fans.

That's very patronizing.

not really, because the graph can be completely positive while showing all 4 spaces but normally show +- but i am sure there are probably people out there who think that gf may one day use a couple of numbers in game titles. however these graphs can show letters instead of numbers. +- with xy are common in algebra.
------for the second time, NO.
true they themselves didnt specifically say "first" however the following information clearly does state that 2019 games will be the first of its kind on the switch (you know the mainline rpg games we are use to) we already know Let's Go isn't the same, and we know it is a main series game separate from the mainline rpg games and not a spin off.

"The new title coming out in the second half of 2019 will be a completely different game [to Pokemon Let's Go]," said Ishihara-san in an interview with Japanese magazine Famitsu.

"It is not an entry game, but a game that we want longtime fans of the Pokemon series to look forward to.

"The game will give a good understanding of what an evolved Pokemon game looks like after it has continued to succeed the traditions of Game Freak.

"We want to make Pokemon fans say 'this is what I've been waiting for' by delivering a brand-new product packed with gameplay elements and plenty of new Pokemon to encounter."

“GameFreak has begun developing a core RPG Pokémon title on Nintendo Switch,” notes Ishihara. “It may not release for more than a year, but we’ll hope you look forward to it all the same.”

“With the Switch, we see it as a chance to create Pokémon that goes deeper and with a higher level of expression,” Ishihara explains later in an interview with Bloomberg.

not really, because the graph can be completely positive while showing all 4 spaces but normally show +-
If it's not showing all four quadrants, it's not all positive. That's just how quadrants work.
however these graphs can show letters instead of numbers
Letters that are meant as placeholders for numbers.
+- with xy are common in algebra.
The concept of positive and negative numbers is common as early as arithmetic, that's how math works.
------for the second time, NO.
Then what are you referring to? You specifically said-
I had the impression the red and blue consoles were the main or first. Like 3ds appeared to mainly be red and blue.
And then when I ask for clarification on what counts as a "main or first" game, you just say "that's not what I'm talking about, read my posts slower".

true they themselves didnt specifically say "first" however the following information clearly does state that 2019 games will be the first of its kind on the switch (you know the mainline rpg games we are use to) we already know Let's Go isn't the same, and we know it is a main series game separate from the mainline rpg games and not a spin off.
Every new main series game is the "first of its kind". ORAS is the first to include soaring, USUM is the first to include wormhole traveling, BW2 is the first to include the key system, etc. If we count a game as first just because it's different, then there's no reason to count which games are first at all.

Idk, but I don't think they have a such stereotyped view of Canada as much as they do about Hawaii and France, but from what I researched, I found this: "In a video interview, Japanese college students give their impressions of Canada. Most associated Canada with the usual suspects - maple syrup, the aurora, abundant nature, Niagara Falls and the cold." :p So, it doesn't has a "specific theme", like Kalos was an utopian place or like Alola was a "vacation place", although it is still a stereotyped view from a foreigner.

I think that Sinnoh has some influences from Canada. So, I think that if they want a cold place again, they could pick it.
Add hockey, the mounted police, bears and being way too nice and remove the Niagara Falls and you have how people view Canada in my country. I forgot that Canada had so many stereotypes, but at least most of them are not negative.

If it's not showing all four quadrants, it's not all positive. That's just how quadrants work.

Letters that are meant as placeholders for numbers.

The concept of positive and negative numbers is common as early as arithmetic, that's how math works.

Then what are you referring to? You specifically said-

And then when I ask for clarification on what counts as a "main or first" game, you just say "that's not what I'm talking about, read my posts slower".

Every new main series game is the "first of its kind". ORAS is the first to include soaring, USUM is the first to include wormhole traveling, BW2 is the first to include the key system, etc. If we count a game as first just because it's different, then there's no reason to count which games are first at all.

yes it CAN have all four quadrants and all four are positive. the number scale would be larger though but usually it has + and -
Edit: example 0 could instead be 10 or 100. Numbers in either direction can be positive.
yes letters in algebra are placeholders for numbers. however they can stand for other things beyond numbers when it comes to graphs when graphing.
You stated: Only blue and red depending on what someone owns-there's also the black joycons that can be bought with a Switch, and they tend to be advertised about as much as the red/blue ones. (And we've had +- buttons since the Wii)

I had the impression the red and blue consoles were the main or first. Like 3ds appeared to mainly be red and blue. ---> Im not talking about the games on the consoles. That is what I had said.
When I say im not talking about the games on the consoles, I mean I am not talking about the games on the consoles. I am talking about the consoles.

As stated before, and this will be my last comment to you because I dont understand how this is difficult to follow, and as such I don't know how to explain otherwise:
the 2019 are different than the Let's Go (which is also a main series so you won't again claim I am saying they aren't main series) and they are the first mainline rpg game we are use to on the Switch. The Info quotes I provided also gave details about this game. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl for example are the first of their kind to be on the DS. Because, they were the first mainline rpg game we are use to on the DS. Same with x/y to the 3ds. Let's Go are separate from the mainline rpg games even though Let's go are a main series now. They are their own series and it does appear if sales are good they may do a lets go Johto.

"
Sure – and does it suggest you have one eye on another Let’s Go style game set in Johto?

Junichi Masuda: So you know maybe – if everyone enjoys playing these games [laughs] – but you know more than that, I know that a lot of people and fans have spent a lot of time hatching eggs, they’ve hatched… a lot of eggs, but we want them to kind of discover new ways to enjoy Pokémon games, you know I’d be really sad to think that for them, Pokémon is hatching eggs, so with this one we’re trying to show them a different side of the game."

Edit: and no im not trying to be mean. Tone is absent from typing.

Last edited:
yes it CAN have all four quadrants and all four are positive. the number scale would be larger though but usually it has + and -
Edit: example 0 could instead be 10 or 100. Numbers in either direction can be positive.
The number scale is irrelevant to quadrants. Quadrants are, by definition, different because of their relation to the axis. Quadrant (plane geometry) - Wikipedia If you drew a graph that started at positive numbers, you'd only be drawing in one quadrant.
yes letters in algebra are placeholders for numbers. however they can stand for other things beyond numbers when it comes to graphs when graphing.
What else is there besides numbers? Even when it's in reference to units, it's still a number relating to the unit.
I had the impression the red and blue consoles were the main or first. Like 3ds appeared to mainly be red and blue. ---> Im not talking about the games on the consoles. That is what I had said.
When I say im not talking about the games on the consoles, I mean I am not talking about the games on the consoles. I am talking about the consoles.
Thank you for clarifying. However, I don't see why you think that blue and red are the main colors for consoles. When the 3DS was released, its first colors were blue and black, and red wasn't released until a few months later. A plain red version of the DS didn't come out until two years after its release. The GBA only had red as a special edition. And none of the home consoles were primarily red and blue.
the 2019 are different than the Let's Go (which is also a main series so you won't again claim I am saying they aren't main series) and they are the first mainline rpg game we are use to on the Switch. The Info quotes I provided also gave details about this game. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl for example are the first of their kind to be on the DS. Because, they were the first mainline rpg game we are use to on the DS. Same with x/y to the 3ds. Let's Go are separate from the mainline rpg games even though Let's go are a main series now. They are their own series and it does appear if sales are good they may do a lets go Johto.
They're not "a new main series", they're part of the core series. Masuda explicitly said this.
"These games aren’t spin-offs. These are core Pokemon titles."

I kind of find it funny that Plus and Minus are being brought up again as of late, especially when the original rumor was really specific with the console it would be on that was basically describing the Switch. Of course the rest of the rumor has been proven fake, but it kind of makes me wonder just how many rumors are made because people jump the gun in their "leaks" by revealing beta info that isn't final, or how many rumors are formed by an accidental mixup of real info. Of course rumors are just rumors, but it's kind of interesting to think about the "temporary" truth or the truth that is caught in a theoretical web of other truths until you get a lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom