• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Situation Room 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
tl;dr
The Let’s GO games aren’t for everyone. Some people will enjoy them, some won’t. Both sides are valid, because a lot of this is opinion based.

AE is welcome to not play anymore Pokémon games because of the LG games, and others are welcome to keep enjoying Pokémon games for as long as they want to.

An argument of opinions doesn’t really go anywhere.

If you're gonna say something you can't say with absolute certainty yet, like all future games being like Let's Go, people are gonna respond to that.
I can say it with absolute certainty though. You just can't see it, because you don't WANT to see it.

IIRC, you also defended USUM... Which admittedly, are also games that I nearly didn't buy... and I'm on the fence about whether or not I wish I didn't.

I can say it with absolute certainty though.
As I said, it's only been two weeks since Let's Go came out. What is making you say with certainty already that all future games will be like it? Do you have insider information from Game Freak itself? Because that's the only feasible way.

There is a difference between RNG, and charging money for exploitation boxes.

Loot boxes are illegal in belgium because they violate the gambling laws of that country.

Here's the thing though, it's not just governments acting on their own: Gamers urge government to act on "gambling" loot boxes in video games

There's not really much of a difference at all. The loot boxes use RNG to determine what they will give out.

And while I'll agree most loot boxes are that way, the ones for Overwatch are kinda... not? Even if you don't get what you want from them, the ingame currency you'll build up from duplicates will allow you to buy it pretty quickly; you build up that ingame currency surprisingly quickly, as I've learned. Heroes of the Storm uses a similar system, save their lootboxes actually do affect gameplay and, I would concede, are part of the lootbox problem.

So, no, I'm not holding Activision as innocent, not even under their Blizzard brand. I'm just saying that, in this particular instance, I don't see the problem as existing.

That's because Sid Alpha is a consumer advocate. His logic makes sense when you factor in that he's in the industry to protect the consumer.

Consumer advocates are not always correct. Sometimes, they are seriously misinformed about what they are advocating against. For example, most of the consumer advocates who preach against HFCS are, to put it kindly, Darwin-disproving idiots who are perpetuating urban myths and flat-out lies; it's not that HFCS is necessarily healthy for you, just that it's not unhealthy for the reasons most of them are saying (it's a combination of two different sugars, and unhealthy for the same reasons why any sugar is unhealthy).

You really need to take consumer advocates with a Jupiter-sized grain of salt. Much the same way you need to take corporate spin with a similarly-sized grain of salt.

EITHER WAY, that's not relevant.

How is evidence Steam is a publishing platform not relevant to Steam being a publishing platform? That doesn't make sense.

I didn't know that. Good thing I don't play the game anymore.

I don't even understand why it exists anymore.

WoW's in-game economy isn't balanced around buying gold though. I mean, what you can use gold for is very limited, and has been limited for years. You can use it to buy basic items, level professions, get heirlooms (Which admittedly can break the levelling curve... Bad Blizzard)... but the most valuable items are either RNG drops or bought with non-gold currencies.

Depends on what you mean by "valuable." The items I've seen considered the most valuable all sell for gold, and fetch hefty prices in the Auction House. Typically, transmog stuff, pets, and mounts. If you're a good white kitten farmer, you can make bank on some servers at an early level. Even more so if you have access to Booty Bay.

THQ closed down as of 2013.

Then how did they buy Coffee Stain and Bugbear Entertainment?

I've seen Destiny 2 and CoD... I admit I played about an hour of Destiny 2 when it was in open beta. It was okay, but nothing to write home about. The stuff I've heard since makes me glad I didn't play, as the developers have been copping quite a lot of flack for bad decisions.

I played Destiny 2 a bit early on for the computer release. It made me sad that I missed the original, and even more sad the sequel just didn't grab me.

I never owned a N64 for anything before the game cube... But the Nintendo handheld titles up until this point have always... even X and Y... been exactly what I need from a non-PC platform.

That should continue. Nintendo has announced plans to keep their handheld console around for quite some time to come.

Microsoft Game Studios hasn't appeared on my radar in years... I'm not even sure if I have any games published by them. Not sure and I can't be bothered going through my Steam library to find out.

Microsoft does most of their development through studios they own and publishing via various means. They are very hard to pin down because of it, so I'm not even entirely certain what studios they have currently active.

I think you missed the point where I said that it's not about being published.

I had said that I TEND TO focus on indie games, because none of the games from the big name publishers really interest me anymore (And I won't touch EA)

Ah! My bad.

Same here... Being published by anyone doesn't mean I'm avoiding it... Except for stuff published by EA... but for all other publishers - including Ubisoft, Activision, Bethesda - it's irrelevant if it is published or not. It's about if the game is littered with shoddy design, or uses exploitation.

Sometimes, shoddy design is the point of the game (Goat Simulator, for example). I tend to treat it based on the intention behind it. After all, shoddy design has occasionally led to great things.

Though, I will give Nintendo credit... as far as I know (And I could be wrong... Please don't disappoint me, Nintendo)... They haven't fallen into the loot box craze yet. And to Let's Go's credit, there are AFAIK, no loot boxes in the game. Pokemon Go also has some minor microtransactions (Microtransactions are fine if they are direct sales) but AFAIK, no loot boxes.

The closest thing I've seen Nintendo get to loot boxes is their amiibos, in particular for how amiibos work in Breath of the Wild, but that's still a one-time payment (per amiibo) for effectively-infinite loot boxes.

Wait, nope! I'm wrong! They got closer than that, but it's a parody.

As I said, I'm no longer enjoying the franchise, so I want out... I'm done with Pokemon. Why do people have a hard time accepting that?

Maybe it's that they don't want to lose a connection to you? Humans are inherently social creatures, and inherently a herd species. Losing a social connection to a member of the herd can be difficult to accept, even if it is part of life.

The Sims (Sims 4 sucked IMO... Sims 3 was 100% better... even though, as I said, it's full of bloated DLC, and microtransactions)

I am forced to agree. It gets close to somewhat approaching the same solar system as decent at around $400 in, but that's verging on the sunk cost fallacy.

And although I did mention Ubisoft and Bethesda, as I said, I am willing to buy from them again if their games are acceptable to me. Far Cry 5 was a horrible mess... Good gameplay, but the story is just an utter disappointment and even frustrating at times.

That's why I didn't buy it. I took one look at the previews and went, "Yep. The story in this one is gonna suck!" Thank EA, Ubisoft, Square-Enix, and Activision for training me to spot that from a mile away.

And Bethesda... it's mostly a problem with the number of glitches in their games... It's almost like playing a beta game.

I swear, the modding community has to be the only reason Bethesda stays in business.

Now... do I have any Microsoft Game Studio games...? *goes to look*

Do you own any of the Fable games? Those would count.

tl;dr
The Let’s GO games aren’t for everyone. Some people will enjoy them, some won’t. Both sides are valid, because a lot of this is opinion based.

AE is welcome to not play anymore Pokémon games because of the LG games, and others are welcome to keep enjoying Pokémon games for as long as they want to.

An argument of opinions doesn’t really go anywhere.

Hey, I'm keeping Aussie around and engaged. I just hope that I can inspire a sheer stubbornness streak and cause Aussie to stick around just to prove me wrong ;)

tumblr_p0kst7QUXp1uh3x51o2_540.gif

...sort of.

My 2 cents on this. If he wants to leave let him leave, we get nowhere if we don’t let him do what he wants to do. (Also I didn’t read all the posts but the point stands.)
As for let’s go. The game is actually pretty decent, and honestly I preferred go’s catching style over pure rng, as it adds more than just hoping for the best. Also let’s go added the only time we see a certain gen 2 character post HGSS, and used green’s gen 1 design for the first time in the games. It does have charm, but as ME said, it’s not for everyone, I thought I would hate it myself until the full game came out, and I’m only basing my turnaround of opinions on youtube videos, should I rent the game from my local video rental shop that somehow still exists, I may go back to hating it, who knows. It’s just opinions, none are right

Last edited:
We seem to be having trouble getting people to sign up for games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom