• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DvCCztaWoAEfpgZ.jpg:small

Got this theory from #ShiningStar5022 on Twitter and decided to add more to it so that everyone can understand of what Game Freak is hinting at. You might remember back in 2015 before Pokemon Sun and Moon was revealed that Game Freak hinted to us a bouquet of flowers with the globe showing South-East Asia and Australia. This was where all the Pokemon + and - rumours started speculating by those looking at what's on the globe. It wasn't until during 2016 that it was revealed that the Gen 7 region, Alola is based around Hawaii, and that wasn't even shown on the globe. Well... was, but only on the opposite side of the globe. In 2018, not too long ago, Game Freak is teasing us with the same hints, only this time the bouquet was replaced with a Mew-themed Christmas tree, and the globe is showing us North and South America. Many are speculating yet again that it is SE Asia, the Caribbean, China, South America. But once again they are repeating the same trap as what we had seen three years prior. The hint here is that it's not what you see in the globe, but what you can't see, namely what is on the opposite side of what we can see in sunlight, Europe and Africa. Another hint is with the objects that Game Freak have placed with the globe apart from the Pokemon plushies. These are simply based on the theme of the next region. Like with the hint for Gen 7, it showed tropical flowers that hinted to a hot, sunny and tropical region (Alola: Hawaii). Gen 8's hint shows a Christmas tree, a pine tree that's hinting to a cold, wet and snowy region. Yes Spain has pine trees, but it's climate is not cold. This makes me think that this next region could be based in the UK for the obvious reasons of there being so many rumours and hints to back it up.

Before Gen 5 was announced, the creator of Pokemon visited London for a special event. Whilst there he was taking photos of the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Westminster, Houses of Parlament with Big Ben, the Thames and the London Eye. This could possibly be at the same time when they were beginning research and studies for Gen 6, and if so then this UK region could fit in well to the Kalos story. for one, the two generations are the first to a new console, Gen 6 with 3DS and Gen 8 with Switch. Two, Kalos has special friendship to a tropical region of Hoenn (Gen 3 remake of OR & AS), so if Gen 8 is the UK, being normally a cold region would have special friendship to another cold region with a possible Gen 4 remake in Sinnoh (Hokkaido is another country apart from Scotland that is famed for making Whisky). Three, the Pokemon Sun and Moon episode with a TV star detective had London at the end of the episode, and Rotom hinted it being a far away region. There is also the clapper boards that were used in each shot during the episode, which might also hint to how many episodes the Sun and Moon anime will have. And if true, then this could be more than just a cameo to another worldwide-based location, and instead by a foreshadow for what's to come. The London fog could also be used as a veil to silhouette the next region. Four, there is a hiring of people in the UK to The Pokemon Company International base in London.

All these are just speculations left for you to decide, even if all this is proven false, it was still fun to speculate of what 2019 will hold. The region might be Greenland with Iceland, Norway or Denmark for all I know, but with all the rumours surrounding the UK, you cannot stop but wonder that there could be more to this than just what it is.

Last edited:
Oh yes, totally looking forward to more humanoid pokemon without animal heads-

Both take reference from Yokai I believe like Electabuzz and Magmar, since the series is a Japanese only series, I am fine with more pokemon like this. Id rather more Yokai Pokemon than animistic variants.

Both take reference from Yokai I believe like Electabuzz and Magmar, since the series is a Japanese only series, I am fine with more pokemon like this. Id rather more Yokai Pokemon than animistic variants.
Wait, Mr. Mime is based on a yokai? I know that Jynx might be based on a yokai, but I have never heard anything about Mr. Mime.

EDIT: Also, what yokai represents Magmar?

DvCCztaWoAEfpgZ.jpg:small

Got this theory from #ShiningStar5022 on Twitter and decided to add more to it so that everyone can understand of what Game Freak is hinting at. You might remember back in 2015 before Pokemon Sun and Moon was revealed that Game Freak hinted to us a bouquet of flowers with the globe showing South-East Asia and Australia. This was where all the Pokemon + and - rumours started speculating by those looking at what's on the globe. It wasn't until during 2016 that it was revealed that the Gen 7 region, Alola is based around Hawaii, and that wasn't even shown on the globe. Well... was, but only on the opposite side of the globe. In 2018, not too long ago, Game Freak is teasing us with the same hints, only this time the bouquet was replaced with a Mew-themed Christmas tree, and the globe is showing us North and South America. Many are speculating yet again that it is SE Asia, the Caribbean, China, South America. But once again they are repeating the same trap as what we had seen three years prior. The hint here is that it's not what you see in the globe, but what you can't see, namely what is on the opposite side of what we can see in sunlight, Europe and Africa. Another hint is with the objects that Game Freak have placed with the globe apart from the Pokemon plushies. These are simply based on the theme of the next region. Like with the hint for Gen 7, it showed tropical flowers that hinted to a hot, sunny and tropical region (Alola: Hawaii). Gen 8's hint shows a Christmas tree, a pine tree that's hinting to a cold, wet and snowy region. Yes Spain has pine trees, but it's climate is not cold. This makes me think that this next region could be based in the UK for the obvious reasons of there being so many rumours and hints to back it up.

Before Gen 5 was announced, the creator of Pokemon visited London for a special event. Whilst there he was taking photos of the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Westminster, Houses of Parlament with Big Ben, the Thames and the London Eye. This could possibly be at the same time when they were beginning research and studies for Gen 6, and if so then this UK region could fit in well to the Kalos story. for one, the two generations are the first to a new console, Gen 6 with 3DS and Gen 8 with Switch. Two, Kalos has special friendship to a tropical region of Hoenn (Gen 3 remake of OR & AS), so if Gen 8 is the UK, being normally a cold region would have special friendship to another cold region with a possible Gen 4 remake in Sinnoh (Hokkaido is another country apart from Scotland that is famed for making Whisky). Three, the Pokemon Sun and Moon episode with a TV star detective had London at the end of the episode, and Rotom hinted it being a far away region. There is also the clapper boards that were used in each shot during the episode, which might also hint to how many episodes the Sun and Moon anime will have. And if true, then this could be more than just a cameo to another worldwide-based location, and instead by a foreshadow for what's to come. The London fog could also be used as a veil to silhouette the next region. Four, there is a hiring of people in the UK to The Pokemon Company International base in London.

All these are just speculations left for you to decide, even if all this is proven false, it was still fun to speculate of what 2019 will hold. The region might be Greenland with Iceland, Norway or Denmark for all I know, but with all the rumours surrounding the UK, you cannot stop but wonder that there could be more to this than just what it is.

The first image wasn't from 2015. The number 29 on the board above the flower bouquet represents the Game Freak's twenty-ninth anniversary. That photo is surely from this year.

And I don' know where the original author took that picture from, but in the known Facebook photo the globe wasn't positioned that way. It may have been edited, or just removed from some media other than Facebook.

Sunflowers don't refer only to "tropical" places, but also to joy, longevity. Could it have been a reference to Alola? Maybe yes, maybe not. But again, the photo is from this year. In the image below, everything quoted refers to Christmas, not specifically to a region.

About the anime, it could be just making a reference to the live action. Can we have a cold or UK-inspired region? Of course, but I don't believe those pictures are indicating anything.

About Masuda (?) taking pictures, could mean something. But I'd like to know where people got that information from. :p

Last edited:
The first image wasn't from 2015. The number 29 on the board above the flower bouquet represents the Game Freak's twenty-ninth birthday. That photo is surely from this year.

And I don' know where the original author took that picture from, but in the known Facebook photo the globe wasn't positioned that way. It may have been edited, or just removed from some media other than Facebook.

Sunflowers don't refer only to tropical places, but also to joy, longevity. Could it have been a reference to Alola? Maybe yes, maybe not. But again, the photo is from this year. In the image below, everything quoted refers to Christmas, not specifically to a region.

About the anime, it could be just making a reference to the live action. Can we have a cold or UK-inspired region? Of course, but I don't believe those pictures are indicating anything.

About Masuda (?) taking pictures, could mean something. But I'd like to know where people got that information from. :p

Thank you or telling me all this, that's what I needed to know. If the globe is spinning, then there is no telling of where the next region will be. It might reference to the live action film, though what if it could also mean a UK based region as well. I'm not going to jump into the Kalos story because they may or may not bring that up again. Just like the many things not mentioned in the anime. I said this was just speculations, and it was fun to guess.

I theorise in the past that Game Freak is going to go to each location that represent the continent in the world.
Gen 1- 4: Japan
Gen 5: New York City (US/North America)
Gen 6: France (EU/Europe)
Gen 7: Hawaii (US/Oceania)
Gen 8 and future Generations: Australasia, Asia, Africa, Middle East, Antarctica, South America.

Or it could be based on how popular the game is. But then, as stated by the creators, they said that they chose France for Gen 6 because of it being the first 3D Pokemon game and it's beauty, and Hawaii for Gen 7 for it's culture in relation to the sun and moon. If the UK is chosen, it would probably be based on the Industrial Revolution. Spain because they love the culture of the country, but then you must ask yourselves. What makes a Pokemon game represent the Switch? if it's to represent old vs new way to play, then that would obviously fit the Industrial Revolution vibe. But then that's speculation. I'm just giving you something to wrap your heads around.

I really don't think the globe is hinting to anything except the fact that GameFreak owns a globe...

Also where do people keep getting the idea that sunflowers are tropical? We grow them up here and I live up in New England- we're on the border of Canada. It's cold here and far from tropical. In fact, all of the flowers in that bouquet are ones that grow in cold climates.

I really don't think the globe is hinting to anything except the fact that GameFreak owns a globe...

Also where do people keep getting the idea that sunflowers are tropical? We grow them up here and I live up in New England- we're on the border of Canada. It's cold here and far from tropical. In fact, all of the flowers in that bouquet are ones that grow in cold climates.

I agree. And that's why I put "tropical" in quotes, and questioned the same thing a few pages ago about calling sunflowers of "hawaiian flowers".

But he could still argue about its relation to the sun, and the fact that it originates in tropical and subtropical places in Central and North America.

But in fact, Sunflower isn't synonymous of tropical zones, it fits well with temperate or equatorial climate too.

I agree. And that's why I put "tropical" in quotes, and questioned the same thing a few pages ago about calling sunflowers of "hawaiian flowers".

But he could still argue about its relation to the sun, and the fact that it originates in tropical and subtropical places in Central and North America.

But in fact, Sunflower isn't synonymous of tropical zones, it fits well with temperate or equatorial climate too.
It's really a hardy plant that can be grown anywhere- they even grow sunflowers in Canada, so... yeah, not a very tropical flower by any means. If it was something like a hibiscus, that would be a different story.

I don't think people should be trying to pick apart any of the posts with the globes in them, anyway. They're usually just holiday or anniversary pictures from the GameFreak office, right? The only posts that were ever actual hints were the ones with the pikachu plush in Hawaii. When we get more pictures like those, then we'll have something to talk about in terms of anyone from GameFreak dropping hints on social media.

It's really a hardy plant that can be grown anywhere- they even grow sunflowers in Canada, so... yeah, not a very tropical flower by any means. If it was something like a hibiscus, that would be a different story.

I don't think people should be trying to pick apart any of the posts with the globes in them, anyway. They're usually just holiday or anniversary pictures from the GameFreak office, right? The only posts that were ever actual hints were the ones with the pikachu plush in Hawaii. When we get more pictures like those, then we'll have something to talk about in terms of anyone from GameFreak dropping hints on social media.

I agree it isn't a "Hawaiian" or "very tropical", or a tropical flower by any means. But it can still be used to refer to warmer places by its meaning (flower of the sun, warm) and its origin. And even in Canada, it need a climate that we could consider as "warm" for cultivation (temperate, in the case of Canada). Although it is a sturdy flower, it still needs hot soil to be sprouted, and unlike other flowers, it doesn't grow well away from the sunlight.

And well, I agree, those pictures don't mean anything about the next games, are just common Christmas and anniversary photos.

Last edited:
Now that a few people in here have debunked that Gamefreak picture theory, do we have any real idea of possibilities for where Gen 8 is situated in or we still in the dark again ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom