• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Generation V Remake Discussion

Will there be remakes in Gen IX?

• Yes, there will be a remake of Black/White.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Yes, there will be a sequel of Black 2/White 2.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, there will be a "Let's Go!" remake of Emerald.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Yes, there will be remakes of older spinoff titles.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

RC821

Reaction score
I know this sounded way too early and silly at the moment but after the remakes of Generation IV have revealed, people may discuss about the Gen V remakes.

Last edited:
We don't have a reveal for Gen 4 remakes? What remakes appear in Gen 8 are going to influence what expectations people have for Gen 9.

Pokemon Grey anyone? hope only the starters get some love in it.
Would be cool really.

I think it’s a bit too early for such a thread when we haven’t even seen what will be the Generations 4 Remakes, if we're getting them.

In light of recent events, there are conflicting opinions on the style of the next Remakes, whether they’ll be Let’s Go style Sinnoh ones, traditional remakes or even Let's Go Johto.

I think we need to wait till atleast the next remakes' release for such a discussion so the speculation can even be slightly grounded in reality.

It may be early but that didn't stop people talking about Gen IV remakes before Gen III remakes were even announced. :p

I'd like remakes of Gen V but I'm not sure how it'll happen. Will they remake both B/W & B2/W2 or will they just remake B/W and shove some of the sequels extra content in the post-game sections? Because I'd be more than happy with B/W remakes, but with the Unova map from B2/W2, and have the sequel storyline compressed into a (preferably extensive) post-game episode featuring Kyurem and its forms.

Plus in the megaverse, we know Colress is active and conducting research, so it'd be a good way to shine more light upon him and what he's doing. How did being in the megaverse change his research and his goals? It's stuff like this I wanna know. :p

1. After USUM's reaction from the fandom, I think third versions are dead.
2. Why only the starters? Give love to the other Pokémon, too!

after Black and White, Black and White 2... Black and White 3?
Or Black Night and White Day?

Grey was only a idea related to our ice/dragon legendary which would need it's own more
icy original "form" change with better ability.

DID SOMEONE SAY GEN 5.

That said, as far as the remake goes, Colress will probably be related to the new evolution or power-up mechanic and I hope/expect to finally see the original form of Reshiram and Zekrom. Problem there would become that either Ghetsis/N needs to get a hold of both dragons despite the protagonist already being chosen by one (Unless he does it by force) or we need a Zinnia-like character again.

Include BW2 content or no sale. The original BW was painfully lacking, BW2 is what made that generation. The remake will feel so much worse without BW2's expansions. I don't care how they do it, if they tack them onto the end/post game, if they revamp the entire thing. Just don't make the game another boring plod through a painfully linear region with only the 156 Unova Pokemon. You couldn't pay me to go through that nonsense again.

Include BW2 content or no sale. The original BW was painfully lacking, BW2 is what made that generation. The remake will feel so much worse without BW2's expansions. I don't care how they do it, if they tack them onto the end/post game, if they revamp the entire thing. Just don't make the game another boring plod through a painfully linear region with only the 156 Unova Pokemon. You couldn't pay me to go through that nonsense again.
I think the Pokédex part can be implemented, but I don't know how they could do the rest. One way they could do it would be to put the B2W2 side as an expansion with its own save slot, so that the Memory Link events can be activated with only one device.

Come to think of it, I would like Memory Link to come back in some way, shape or form. Just implement it in a way that doesn't require multiple consoles or connection to the Internet in case they take down the servers like the always do.

I think the Pokédex part can be implemented, but I don't know how they could do the rest. One way they could do it would be to put the B2W2 side as an expansion with its own save slot, so that the Memory Link events can be activated with only one device.

Come to think of it, I would like Memory Link to come back in some way, shape or form. Just implement it in a way that doesn't require multiple consoles or connection to the Internet in case they take down the servers like the always do.

The storyline might be a bit tricky, but the areas can always be included. The best way might just be with a post game story arc. BW2's actual story isn't all that deep anyway, so it could easily be tacked on.

I personally want Game Freak to stop remakes after Gen IV (that is, if we're getting those remakes) and actually use that time and effort to focus on original content instead.

This is mostly because I'm exhausted of people constantly wanting remakes of x region for nostalgia regions. Sinnoh is semi-difficult to justify just because it's still playable on modern DSes, but it's possible we may get those remakes just so the region can be rebooted with new life because it is rather dated. For Unova though, it's much, much harder to justify remaking that considering that I'm not sure how you can improve upon something like B2W2 except with Gen 8-ish mechanics and graphics, if anything.

And then there's the bigger problem for those folk who felt like Kalos got left in the dust and would either want a remake or some sort of sequel to that as well. Really, I just want original content even if we're going back to old regions. Put a new spin on it, make it so the visit to the old region occurs years later with some fresh faces and some new evil teams or something, I don't know. What I do know is that the yearn for constant remakes is starting to get old, imo.

This is mostly because I'm exhausted of people constantly wanting remakes of x region for nostalgia regions. Sinnoh is semi-difficult to justify just because it's still playable on modern DSes, but it's possible we may get those remakes just so the region can be rebooted with new life because it is rather dated. For Unova though, it's much, much harder to justify remaking that considering that I'm not sure how you can improve upon something like B2W2 except with Gen 8-ish mechanics and graphics, if anything.

That's because it's more recent, there hasn't been as many improvements from 5th -> 7th as there's been from 4th -> 7th. You could've said the same thing about 4th gen around 5th or 6th gen. Give it time, when we reach 8th or 9th gen and they make more improvements to the series we may have a better idea of how to improve the experience.

And then there's the bigger problem for those folk who felt like Kalos got left in the dust and would either want a remake or some sort of sequel to that as well.

This is a legitimate problem. We have new generations, updated versions, remakes, and now Let's Go games, while they're only releasing 2 or 3 games per generation. The field is getting a bit crowded. I think what they need to do is spread out the new generation games to 4-5 year schedules and then they'll have room for more games in between. They'll probably want to spend more time anyway since they're transitioning to consoles and console games tend to take longer to develop, they may as well take advantage of that to fit more content in between. Although I was thinking more like this:

New Gen
DLC of New Gen (taking the place of third versions)
Remake
DLC of Remake
New Gen

Really, I just want original content even if we're going back to old regions. Put a new spin on it, make it so the visit to the old region occurs years later with some fresh faces and some new evil teams or something, I don't know. What I do know is that the yearn for constant remakes is starting to get old, imo.

Totally agreed. I'm sick of the remakes being copy/paste jobs with minimal changes, I want to see them overhaul the design and add extra features to make them feel more modern. I mean, look at Kanto, it's gotten 5 entries but remains relatively unchanged throughout, the same region design and maps down to a tile by tile comparison, the same Pokemon that have been shoved down our throats for 20 years, the same barren storyline, no real new features. There is so much room for modernization that it's not even funny yet they're content with just making everything 99% the same. Adding in new areas, redesigning older ones, adding in new Pokemon that weren't there in the originals, changing up or adding to the storyline, adding in new features, those kinds of things could really make the experience feel fresh.

That's because it's more recent, there hasn't been as many improvements from 5th -> 7th as there's been from 4th -> 7th. You could've said the same thing about 4th gen around 5th or 6th gen. Give it time, when we reach 8th or 9th gen and they make more improvements to the series we may have a better idea of how to improve the experience.

Good point here. Although, kind of thinking out loud here... I still don't think Unova should be remade as far as how traditional remakes have been done, because I feel that would just make the region not as fun, imo. While I'm sure there are people that would have no problem with vanilla Unova basically copypasted into the Switch, that seems pretty low-effort for Game Freak and I firmly believe they can do much better.

This is a legitimate problem. We have new generations, updated versions, remakes, and now Let's Go games, while they're only releasing 2 or 3 games per generation. The field is getting a bit crowded. I think what they need to do is spread out the new generation games to 4-5 year schedules and then they'll have room for more games in between. They'll probably want to spend more time anyway since they're transitioning to consoles and console games tend to take longer to develop, they may as well take advantage of that to fit more content in between. Although I was thinking more like this:

New Gen
DLC of New Gen (taking the place of third versions)
Remake
DLC of Remake
New Gen

This might be a different discussion entirely, but I'm not really entirely sure I agree with DLCs in Pokemon. Game Freak managed to get away with it (third versions, that is) so far mostly because third versions have been improved (regardless of how significant that improvement was), but I don't think they can get away with releasing three games taking place in the same region for ~ $60 each. That's going to be pushing it for quite a lot of people, I think.

Of course, this is assuming that starting Gen 8 onwards they still do paired version releases instead of one game altogether. It would be interesting to see the latter approach.

Totally agreed. I'm sick of the remakes being copy/paste jobs with minimal changes, I want to see them overhaul the design and add extra features to make them feel more modern. I mean, look at Kanto, it's gotten 5 entries but remains relatively unchanged throughout, the same region design and maps down to a tile by tile comparison, the same Pokemon that have been shoved down our throats for 20 years, the same barren storyline, no real new features. There is so much room for modernization that it's not even funny yet they're content with just making everything 99% the same. Adding in new areas, redesigning older ones, adding in new Pokemon that weren't there in the originals, changing up or adding to the storyline, adding in new features, those kinds of things could really make the experience feel fresh.

Yep. What's happening to Kanto is what's going to happen to every other region that's going to remade: the storyline is going to stay roughly the same, Pokemon are going to be the same, characters are going to be the same, and mostly everything is going to be the same except updated graphics and mechanics alongside maybe a post-game addition here and there. That's primarily why I'm exhausted of remakes because they offer nothing really new; they exist to satisfy nostalgia and once that nostalgia is satiated, then what?

At least with completely new games, there's so much to explore and so much to do. Personally, even if I'm not a fan of a particular region as a whole, I will still find it fun to explore the kind of hidden gems it has. That's the whole appeal for Pokemon to me; it's exploration and I feel that once you go back to a region you're already familiar with, with the exact same layout and everything, you (generally speaking) don't have that kind of wonderous curiosity and excitement.

Last edited:
I don't want Gen 5 to be remade, those are the games that I think are closest to perfection in the entire series. I'd like to see Unova in 3D, but not as a remake. If they go the route of a "remake", I'd rather just have an entirely new storyline with new characters.

I just want a Gen 5 remake so they can finally make the original dragon a real Kyurem form, I just hope they don't copy Necrozma in which the original dragon is some lame temporary form and I'm sick of temporary forms as a whole. My idea is that Kyurem's original dragon form will have a different move pool than the current forms had, changing the Ice-type moves into Fire and Electric-type moves, having a move becoming another move already exist with Kyurem's current forms, Glaciate becomes Ice Burn or Freeze Shock while Scary Face becomes Fusion Flare or Fusion Bolt. With Ice-type moves gone from the move pool, it will make sense to have Kyurem finally lose the Ice-type to accommodate for the fact that the moves associated with the typing are now replaced by Fire and Electric-type moves. I see the Original Dragon as a being that doesn't have any association with coldness whatsoever. As for how it could be implemented into the plot, they could combine parts of the plot from the prequel and the sequel to have one giant climax.

I picture this in my mind: You have just defeated N and his dragon at N's Castle, then Ghetsis gets super angry, but before he could be taken away, the Shadow Triad takes him to the Giant Chasm, there, you discover about the third Pokemon that came from the split of the Original Dragon, Kyurem. You manage to corner Ghetsis at the end of the cave, only for him to forcefully summon Kyurem to his side. In his anger, he orders Kyurem to use Glaciate, only for the said move to be stopped by N's dragon. Ghetsis revealed that he tricked N to come in with his dragon so Kyurem can fuse with it, after defeating the fused Kyurem in battle, Ghetsis finally battles you, in which he loses and finally gets arrested for good. Fast forward to after the defeat of the Pokemon League, you meet N, who wants you to have his dragon but not before you battle him, as he believes that the Original Dragon won't be used for evil if it is on your side, with that, he tells you that Kyurem has returned to the Giant Chasm. After catching Kyurem, you get the DNA Splicers. It isn't complete yet because it can only fuse Kyurem with one of the dragons instead of both of them, that is when Colress decided to invite you to come to to his lab in order upgrade the DNA Splicers, he battles you first to prove your worth as someone who will help Kyurem reach its fullest potential, the upgrade allows Kyurem to fuse with the remaining dragon without having to be separated from the one it's currently fused with. Then you learn that the Original Dragon has used a stronger form to combat much tougher foes in the past and that one can only be achieved when Kyurem is in its Original Dragon form and has bonded with a hero for that power to be used, but the Original Dragon has only used that stronger form for when the foe proved to be too strong to be defeated. The form works like Mega Evolution, but it must be charged by previous battles first, online battles are exempted from this rule.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom