• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to be happy if only London will be the region instead of the rest of the UK. The UK is half the size of France, and Scotland is just able to fit within Hokkaido. There are so many possibilities you can have with the UK, and tbh, now is really not the right time to have London as a Region instead of having the rest of the UK. *cough* Brexit *cough* Remainers in London *cough*

Then again, Spain and the EU aren't doing well either.

*sigh* Why does Politics have to be shoehorned into everything these days? Even I'm talking about it.

Last edited:
No not really. Take the Sinnoh starters for example. Empoleon's steel typing made grass and fire do neutral damage to it. Whereas it also made it weak to the secondary typings of both Infernape and Torterra. Imbalance in the typings of final starter forms isn't something new.

Infernape can SE damage Torterra using its fire moves, Torterra can SE Empoleon using ground moves and Empoleon can SE infernape with water moves.

Unless one of the starters is fairy type in this set up, a dragon type will bring the most imbalance in the starters out of any other set we’ve had before.

GF new year artworks are based on this: Chinese zodiac - Wikipedia
And Japan was influenced by ancient Chinese culture so they shared the same zodiac, that's why for 2019, they chose Swinub

So that's what he was saying about the New Year's cards, then.

Well, that's not true, at all. We already had many New Year's cards that definitely had nothing to do with the Chinese zodiac (like the one from Drill Dozer).

Heres a better translation from 4channel
"1. Yusuke Ohmura returns to Game Freak after leaving.

2. It's the first time in Pokemon's history that the movie trailer wasn't released in December.

3. According to the merchandise, it seems that the pre-order for 2019 games would start around March or April.

4. The naming of Pokemon is around 50% finished at this stage.

I think he means Chinese names

5. The game's script has started too, but during SM, they changed the script later, so this could occur this time too.

rework/ repair
6. He heard that the movie will have a new Pokemon and a new form for Mewtwo."

He mentioned the script of LGPE where included a minor hint towards the 2019 title (you need to find it out by yourself) and something about the progress of localization, about 50% of all

So those were the things that were missing...

Just because Ohmura drew a new illustration for TCG doesn't mean he's back. He is a freelance artist now, and may have been hired just for the TCG illustration.

It seems obvious that the new movie will have a new Pokémon or a new form for Mewtwo. About the localization process being started, it's also no surprise.

But a hint in the LGPE script is a really good information, if is true. I wonder what it is.

Infernape can SE damage Torterra using its fire moves, Torterra can SE Empoleon using ground moves and Empoleon can SE infernape with water moves.

Unless one of the starters is fairy type in this set up, a dragon type will bring the most imbalance in the starters out of any other set we’ve had before.
But the leak trio is Grass/Fairy, Fire/Rock and Water/Dragon? So it's the same thing.

There is a grass/fairy starter in that leak.

But the leak trio is Grass/Fairy, Fire/Rock and Water/Dragon? So it's the same thing.

Thanks, didn’t catch that! My mistake then.

But this trio too is still the most imbalanced one compared to all the starters we’ve had so far, with its STAB being quad resisted by the water one, it being doubly weak to the water one and grass being able to deal neutral damage to it.

The last two trips have been specially balanced so I think Generation 8 will follow suit.

Why would they trademark miracle twins but not calamity twins?

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/ninsoup/status/1066405924900868098

Heres a better translation from 4channel

"1. Yusuke Ohmura returns to Game Freak after leaving.

2. It's the first time in Pokemon's history that the movie trailer wasn't released in December.

3. According to the merchandise, it seems that the pre-order for 2019 games would start around March or April.

4. The naming of Pokemon is around 50% finished at this stage.

I think he means Chinese names

5. The game's script has started too, but during SM, they changed the script later, so this could occur this time too.

rework/ repair
6. He heard that the movie will have a new Pokemon and a new form for Mewtwo."

Some of the translations ain't precise. The riddler didn't say the movie would have a new Pokemon and a new form for Mewtwo, these things were just assumptions and posted on Twitter by pokeshopper originally

So that's what he was saying about the New Year's cards, then.

Well, that's not true, at all. We already had many New Year's cards that definitely had nothing to do with the Chinese zodiac (like the one from Drill Dozer).
You can consult this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4wtIPuBrYI&t=148s

"天干地支" is the way ancient Chinese people used to give a name to each Chinese new year and 地支 is the Chinese zodiac. 地支 culture is popular across nearly the whole Asia

Edit:
And I can predict that if they continue using the element of Chinese zodiac (in the year of 2006 and 2016 they didn't because of 10th and 20th anniversary), they will pick among the mouse pokemon next time

Last edited:
It could be very exciting to introduce environment-based special evolutions; a fully natural occurrence to complement the unnautral aspects of Mega evolution: When having, for example Farfetch'd in battle above a given level, in a lake or swamp area, it could have either an automatic or optional temporary very strong forme change or evolution! If it could only be accessed in natural locations, it would not be available within competitive matches or in gym/league matches, so it would not have to be very balanced.

Maybe it would offer necessary help against very high level trainers, or something equivalent to Totem Pokemon that might roam around in large natural areas in this game; that otherwise could not be taken on until the post game!
some mega evolutions or new form changes depending on weather or terrains? interesting idea.

You can consult this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4wtIPuBrYI&t=148s

"天干地支" is the way ancient Chinese people used to give a name to each Chinese new year and 地支 is the Chinese zodiac. 地支 culture is popular across nearly the whole Asia

Edit:
And I can predict that if they continue using the element of Chinese zodiac (in the year of 2006 and 2016 they didn't because of 10th and 20th anniversary), they will pick among the mouse pokemon next time

Dt6XiJmXQAEaSuH.jpg

About the video, I'm not at home so I can't watch it now, but I'll watch it when I get home. Maybe he's referring to recent cards only.

An interesting realization is that the second types of the Alola starters all have the advantage over the the second types of the Kalos starter of the same type (Decidueye's Ghost type is immune to Chestnaught's Fighting type, Delphox's Psychic type is weak to Incineroar's Dark type, and Greninja's Dark type is weak to Primarina's Fairy type). Assuming that this pattern holds, then the Gen 8 starters' final evolutions will have second types that have the advantage over the second type over the Alola starter of the same type (Grass would be Dark or Ghost, Fire would be Fighting, Bug, or Fairy, and Water would be Poison or Steel).

Dt6XiJmXQAEaSuH.jpg

About the video, I'm not at home so I can't watch it now, but I'll watch it when I get home. Maybe he's referring to recent cards only.
Yeah, they didn't show all of the new year cards design in the video and they mentioned 地支 for the year of 2012, the dragon year, so they and the riddler were referring to recent cards and they brought together all of the dragon type pokemon at that time from gen1 to gen5. That artwork is so impressive.

An interesting realization is that the second types of the Alola starters all have the advantage over the the second types of the Kalos starter of the same type (Decidueye's Ghost type is immune to Chestnaught's Fighting type, Delphox's Psychic type is weak to Incineroar's Dark type, and Greninja's Dark type is weak to Primarina's Fairy type). Assuming that this pattern holds, then the Gen 8 starters' final evolutions will have second types that have the advantage over the second type over the Alola starter of the same type (Grass would be Dark or Ghost, Fire would be Fighting, Bug, or Fairy, and Water would be Poison or Steel).

Sounds similar to another's theory mentioned in this video.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHZIFb8gK10

Yeah, they didn't show all of the new year cards design in the video and they mentioned 地支 for the year of 2012, the dragon year, so they and the riddler were referring to recent cards and they brought together all of the dragon type pokemon at that time from gen1 to gen5. That artwork is so impressive.

Oh, about recent cards, that may be true. Really, we had dragon, horse, dog, pig. And I agree, that artwork was a masterpiece.

About the 20th anniversary one, I had said that Pikachu may have represented the mouse...but now I see they are following not only the zodiac, but also the years patterns...That's interesting. The mouse should really be the next one then, like you said.

Last edited:
Now, there's a reason of why it's only New York City for Unova, it's the only thing we known of the New York state apart from Buffalo. London, though larger than New York is less crowded. London is also smaller than Paris, which is Lumorise City in Kalos. So I recon that if it is London, I'm sure that this riddler, in some truth to it, is only revealing a small portion of the true scale of the next possible Region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom