• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Future Villains: Organization or Individual?

Future Villains?

• Team Villains!

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • The One, The Only, Big Boss

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Other

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters
Wouldn't a religion of evil be controversial?
Also, that. I'm still wondering myself how some of the games that used that trope escaped controversy, like Final Fantasy Tactics were it's pretty obvious who were they talking about, including making their Jesus-analogue Satan incarnate.

EDIT: A little off-topic, but did The Binding of Isaac have any controversy? Because the only one I saw was because the 3DS port got cancelled. This was before an actual 3DS port with all the content got released.

Also, that. I'm still wondering myself how some of the games that used that trope escaped controversy, like Final Fantasy Tactics were it's pretty obvious who were they talking about, including making their Jesus-analogue Satan incarnate.

EDIT: A little off-topic, but did The Binding of Isaac have any controversy? Because the only one I saw was because the 3DS port got cancelled. This was before an actual 3DS port with all the content got released.

Well, the religion of evil trope is pretty common to DnD, so I can see it a possibility that's why so many get a pass.

Well, the religion of evil trope is pretty common to DnD, so I can see it a possibility that's why so many get a pass.
I keep forgetting D&D is still a thing. Specially since each time I see it in pop culture, it's just to show how old and geeky that character is.

Also, DnD doesn't target Christianity or other mainstream religions AFAIK, like most examples of the religion of evil trope. Like I said, FFT crossed so many lines that I feel that's the reason FFT Advanced and its sequel were lighthearted (for the most part).

I keep forgetting D&D is still a thing. Specially since each time I see it in pop culture, it's just to show how old and geeky that character is.

Also, DnD doesn't target Christianity or other mainstream religions AFAIK, like most examples of the religion of evil trope. Like I said, FFT crossed so many lines that I feel that's the reason FFT Advanced and its sequel were lighthearted (for the most part).

Er... well... it doesn't target mainstream religions in most settings...

Anyway, yeah, it's a topic best avoided for the games. I'm comfortable with religion in fanfics, but those are not official works.

Then that would fall into the "religion of evil" that is plaguing 90% of JRPGs. Seriously, I disconnect my brain every time that plot comes.

EDIT: I blame Final Fantasy Tactics for this one cliché. I know older games did that, too, but FFT is still the most popular example.
but could work nicely together with a evil proffesor that has a other goal... defiting a ancient ghost king and his followers and taking a secret evil pokemon science group lead by the regions profesor and bringing back Hunter J and introducing more hunters would work nice and be ment for a longer plot.

Just like RGBY did with the champion, I think it would be cool if they let the rival be the team leader for once. I thought of a Team Skull like scenario.

He starts out at the same place as the player, with the same conditions and similar beliefs. He begins his journey with a team of pokemon under the player’s level with bad battling skills. But as the story goes, he starts changing his ways to the worst, feeling the traditional way of training pokemon and the badge quest are obsolete or stupid (maybe because of constantly losing, maybe because of a bad experience with the champion). He starts getting more cruel and mean with both the player and his pokemon, and it gives results: his team is stronger and more diverse. He still loses when facing the player, and that upsets him even more.

Soon enough, trainers start agreeing with his points and join him as gang members, which grows along the course of the game. Some of them distort the rival’s words to excuse stealing pokemon from trainers they find weak, and the player gets left behind by the rival late in the game.

He comes back by the end with a vengeance, determined to finally defeat the player. His team is high leveled and powerful, but he ends up losing anyway (because plot). There, he is lectured about what he has become by the champion or the professor and finally realises what he’s been doing. He disbands his gang and starts working as the professor’s assistant to relearn his previous care and love for his pokemon.

but could work nicely together with a evil proffesor that has a other goal... defiting a ancient ghost king and his followers and taking a secret evil pokemon science group lead by the regions profesor and bringing back Hunter J and introducing more hunters would work nice and be ment for a longer plot.
Why would an anime villain appear in the games? Sure, she is popular and actually tried to disable the Trainers, but is better to keep anime and games apart.
He starts out at the same place as the player, with the same conditions and similar beliefs. He begins his journey with a team of pokemon under the player’s level with bad battling skills. But as the story goes, he starts changing his ways to the worst, feeling the traditional way of training pokemon and the badge quest are obsolete or stupid (maybe because of constantly losing, maybe because of a bad experience with the champion). He starts getting more cruel and mean with both the player and his pokemon, and it gives results: his team is stronger and more diverse. He still loses when facing the player, and that upsets him even more.
Hopefully it will end up better than when they tried it in Pokémon Dark Rising. Then again, Dark Rising is not a competent hack so I feel like it could work with a nice writer.

Last edited:
the "hunters" as motive could be interesting...
Why would an anime villain appear in the games? Sure, she is popular and actually tried to disable the Trainers, but is better to keep anime and games apart.

Other possibility is a gym leader becoming evil.
Maybe the proffesor of the region could be a gym leader at the same time with his lab? We could once start in the middle of the region?
Imagine that you can battle him at any point in the game but only can win if you collect 7 badges before... with a adjust level system and re-battle mode only after collecting a gym badge.

I imagined a region where all gyms would be pokemon schools at the same time and instead a villian team there would be more rivalry between trainers and ways of traning, types and methods of fighting and using pokemon.
more Rivalry then villianious team...

Other possibility is a gym leader becoming evil.
Maybe the proffesor of the region could be a gym leader at the same time with his lab? We could once start in the middle of the region?
Imagine that you can battle him at any point in the game but only can win if you collect 7 badges before... with a adjust level system and re-battle mode only after collecting a gym badge.

The leader of Team Rocket, Giovanni, was also a Gym Leader. And Malva of the Kalos Elite Four was part of Team Flare.

The leader of Team Rocket, Giovanni, was also a Gym Leader. And Malva of the Kalos Elite Four was part of Team Flare.
We also had a rival that was in an evil team (sort of) with Gladion. I think the only position that has not been an evil leader has been the professor like someone suggested earlier, and it would be pretty hard to do.

First of all, the would have to cover every single sign he's going to be the villain in the pre-reveal, which is hard because the villain is generally revealed at that time.

Second, they would have to prevent that the game gets leaked earlier, and knowing GF's track record, it will be pretty hard to prevent it. There's even a chance the villain gets leaked via a demo.

Third, once the game is out, they have to be careful with the clues they leave the player. Too much or too obvious, and people won't be surprised. Too little or none at all, and people will feel it is an Ass Pull.

Doesn't help that the last time they tried to conceal the villain of their games, they made the mistake of giving artwork to the grunts, which gave away the surprise.

I just had this idea that I thought was pretty cool. What if it the Pokemon professor turns out to be evil?

I think that would be something really interesting to see. The one who assists you along your journey turns out to be evil the whole time. I don't think I could ever see it happening, but dang that would be cool. Really good point :)

Even if I don't think I see that happening, I could see them doing something where the professor is being swerved into fighting for the bad guys, not knowing they are bad.

Even if I don't think I see that happening, I could see them doing something where the professor is being swerved into fighting for the bad guys, not knowing they are bad.

Yea that would be a good compromise!

The idea I had involves a professor that's constantly encouraging you to catch more pokemon, only for you to realize that he's keeping them to do not so good things (converting them into candy or something lol); forcing you to consider, should you really "catch them all" or should you only catch pokemon that you like and want to use. Probably too dark and also contrary to that Pokemon Go philosophy that got brought over to the LGPE games.

Yea that would be a good compromise!

The idea I had involves a professor that's constantly encouraging you to catch more pokemon, only for you to realize that he's keeping them to do not so good things (converting them into candy or something lol); forcing you to consider, should you really "catch them all" or should you only catch pokemon that you like and want to use. Probably too dark and also contrary to that Pokemon Go philosophy that got brought over to the LGPE games.
I'll summarize what I said about this: It can work, it is interesting, but sadly, GF can't keep a secret so I'm afraid someone will spoil it before the time is right. There's also the fact that they always reveal the villain in the middle of the pre-release season, so unless there's some kind of "fake boss" anywhere, I don't think they will keep it secret. Dataminers are also a problem.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom