• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What do you NOT like about LGPE?

They've completely spoilt my head canon. In Gen 1, first time after I laid Marowak to rest and beat Team Rocket I encountered a wild cubone for the first time, now my 6 year old brain at the time assumed this was deliberate in the game and that this was the Cubone who had just been involved in the story so I caught it and added it to my team, and together that little cubone and me took on the Kanto league, he became a Marowak we took on the Elite Four and eventually became champions.

In the Gen 3 remakes, ok I realised it wasn't actually a set encounter but I went out of my way to find a cubone after the events at Lavender town and did the same thing.

Now however, Game Freak have put an end to all that and decided that actually part of the story is your rival taking Cubone evolving it into Marowak and becoming Champion!!!

Oh and why make Primeape version exclusive to Pikachu!!! Since when has that been a thing???

You could assume that the mother had two children, you took one and your rival took the other Cubone. :p

That has raised another question in my mind about the Cubone-wearing-it’s-mother's Skull (as if that lore didn’t have enough plot holes)
What happens when a Cubone/Marowak has two children? Do the children split the skull or fight over it?

I guess it’s just an entertaining story/folk tale to go with Cubone after the ancient people saw its attachment to its mother.

I've been playing two-player with my brother, and it kinda sucks being the support trainer. I know that it was designed as the parent's character, but I'm pretty sure parents playing the game with their kids would want a little more than "you can give a second attack and a second Poke Ball". (And how weird is it that the first co op in decades doesn't include anything designed for siblings/friends playing together, even though that was the goal of alternate versions?)

Oh and why make Primeape version exclusive to Pikachu!!! Since when has that been a thing???

I've read that it is because a Primeape was caught by Ash in the anime and he had Pikachu so there's that.

I was hoping there would be at least one new attractive male character. But seriously....

-The only challenge you get to your Champion title is Trace. Over and over again. And it's the same battle every time. If that's the case, what was the point of even making the whole "defend your title" a thing? And with the removal of the Sevii Islands, the post-game is pretty bland. Although I do like the idea of "Master Trainers."
-No holding items. Normally it doesn't bother me, but think of all the times you'll have to remember to press "B" when training Pokemon to take on the Master Trainers. :(
-Nintendo makes you subscribe in order to interact with people online, including to trade Pokemon. Feels like a slap in the face to people who don't have a lot of money or friends in the outside world.

Welp, after not being sold on LG:p/E upon release, a couple of live streams and friends getting the games have changed my mind, and I finally caved. Now it's time for what's becoming my annual tradition of showing up on these forums for couple of months and then disappearing until the next major release.

Seeing how I had to overcome my initial skepticism and actually take the game for multiple test-drives before actually purchasing, it's probably not that surprising that I don't have a lot to gripe about, but of course there has to be something.

Not really a fan of the AV/candy system. I can understand the reasoning behind it (if you're like really bad at the game and just need to be that much stronger than your opponents), but +200 in each stat on top of all the EXP gained from getting that much candy in the first place is a little over the top. Also, I feel like this is the kind of boost that's not really going to be utilized by the people who the boost is intended for (i.e., new players, those who are still learning the game) and easily and readily abused by those who don't need it (such as players like myself who go out of their way to exploit every advantage and aren't afraid of a little grinding)

The following aren't really dislikes per se, but these bother me as a somewhat competitive player:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the reasoning behind certain move omissions. I get and even mostly agree with largely keeping the standard gen 1 movepool while adding badly-needed high-power moves to types like bug, flying, and even dragon to some extent, but then we get to things like:
-U-turn but no volt switch?
-The addition of nasty plot, calm mind, bulk up, shell smash, and quiver dance, but not dragon dance or hone claws?
-Stealth rock, but no spikes, toxic spikes, sticky web, or any hazard removal whatsoever?
-The addition of Alolan forms, but the omission of their signature moves. Alowak without shadow bone bothers me on a personal level because it's my favorite Alolan form and they took away the best reason to use it.

I can start to understand the logic behind removing abilities, because you wouldn't want new players to be confused by immunities granted by things like levitate or resistances granted by something like thick fat, but I don't get why held items were left out but natures were left in. That one also bothers me. Which brings me to the TL;DR:

Sometimes I got the impression that so many of the simplified game mechanics (especially partner Eevee's moveset) were designed to help newer/younger players start to understand the ins and outs of the game, but at the same time, if this is the case, why only include some of the features? I get that the goal was to make a largely simplified and even easier version of the game, but at the same time, the removal of features that have become such an important part of Pokemon's core seems counter-intuitive to me, especially when looking down the line when, presumably, these are players who Game Freak wants to start playing main series games.

Isn't that just as possible with the PC in the Pokemon Center, though? Choosing to switch to a Pokemon to level it up is a matter of playstyle.

I largely agree, and I would entirely agree if it weren't for the fact that you can abuse this mechanic to bring 5 separate teams to the Elite Four if you so desired. (Thankfully, you can no longer heal Pokemon by putting them in the PC box, effectively making it a bench with unlimited substitutions.)

Everything is fine, except for the one thing I didn't think would pretty much tank my whole interest in the game -

The fact that they've replaced battling for experience with catching for experience. I absolutely hate it and find it removes all fun from grinding. It doesn't feel satisfying to throw a ball with this weird and inprecise capture system. My Pokemon should be getting experience through growing and battling, not through me having to chain catch a billion Pidgey or whatever.
aXjnhel.jpg

(Yes, those are all of the Happy Meal toys, thank you for asking ;))

aXjnhel.jpg

(Yes, those are all of the Happy Meal toys, thank you for asking ;))
Already tried it. I'm not far enough in the game for Chansey grinding to be feasible, as they don't appear often, and it just ends up taking way too long.

But my point was less about the tedium of grinding and more just how I'd rather just battle to gain experience, because it feels more satisfying.

Already tried it. I'm not far enough in the game for Chansey grinding to be feasible, as they don't appear often, and it just ends up taking way too long.

But my point was less about the tedium of grinding and more just how I'd rather just battle to gain experience, because it feels more satisfying.

To be fair, this is only really feasible post-Champion in Cerulean Cave, where Chansey have a 10% spawn rate. And for what it's worth, the picture was meant to point out the absurdity of using catching wild Pokemon (specifically catch combos) as a method of EXP grinding. While the 36X multiplier was the highest I got on the night (my team was level 68-74 at the time, and each member gained a minimum of 3 levels from that one catch), most Chansey encounters ended with 5-8k EXP using just 2 Ultra balls, which leveled up my team about every 2-3 catches. After catching just 30 Chansey, my team was 15 or so levels higher than when I started, meaning that I was able to comfortably beat most of the post-game content (bar master trainers) after just a couple hours of grinding, which IMO is just silly.

I'm absolutely loving the game so far but the lack of wonder trade and GTS and the fact that they're now asking us to PAY for this lack of features is pissing me off.

All I want is a goddamn low level Oddish, I shouldn't have to come to an online community to set up a trade to get one. This is backwards. It's like getting used to smart phones for years then someone is all 'lol guess what guys were going back to landlines for no reason at all - oh and we're charging you for the privilege!'

What are you doing, Gamefreak.

Since I finished the game... here is my lists of the things I don't like in Let's Go.

The names of the Starter Pokemon's moves. They are so baddy bad that you realized I just said the name of one of the moves.
I like how Trace took the Cubone in and I like how he had some development. But he is a friendly rival, stepping in the shoes of our old jerk rival... who is in the same game. I like him... and at the same time I hate him.
The capture mechanic on the flying pokemon, it can get annoying.
How easy it is to over level, even when you are not trying. How, unless you stock up on rare candies like I did at the end, your new capture is going to have a bad time catching up and resulting in a long grind.
Thankfully, I made it to the Elite 4 and champion at around an average level.
Lack of an effective post game.

1. I held this view from almost day 1, but I feel it’s worth repeating - I think Gamefreak took the “aimed at younger kids” thing a little too far. Between the music and the names of Eevee’s tutor moves, it felt like they were really trying to push the cute motif a little too far.

2. The Gym entry requirements are pretty unnessecary IMO, and definitely felt like handholding to me.

3. While I appreciated that the games had a more or less new story and felt less like a “remake”, a lot of classic moments were edited out to allow the new story to unfold, like the Rocket Grunt dropping the lift key.

4. While I understand why they took out Cycling Road given that you can ride your Pokémon, I still feel like it was a classic part of old-school Pokémon, and liked how the Gen I-IV games used the Bicycle as a key to progress through the game in that way.

5. Definitely one of the easiest Pokémon RPGs I’ve ever played, even without using Eevee all that much. Makes sense sort of, given point #1, but still...

I’ll post more as I think of them.

Meowth being version exclusive was a stranger choice to me than Primeape.
Mewoth as a version exclusive starts to make sense in the context that they wanted to balance the number of version-exclusive Alolan forms (Mewoth/Growlithe + Koffing/Grimer)

That is probably going to change after this year's movie.
I can't wait for all the outrage from people who bought the Pokeball Plus only to find out that they could have got Mew just by waiting...

Despite not having the game, I think I have somewhat of a solid opinion of it via Nintendo NY playthroughs and YouTube and Twitch playthroughs

• More Kanto
  • The catching mechanic with the Joy-Cons is extremely gimmicky. Sometimes I throw it properly but it just goes nowhere - I've seen it happen on playthroughs, too
  • The new Wild Pokémon "battle" is just terrible. Grinding is obsolete unless you want to use a lot of Poké Balls. All party members gain experience after a Wild Pokémon "battle", which is just a Gen 6/7 Exp. Share that you can't turn off. The aforementioned terrible capturing mechanic. There's so much I don't like
  • From the experience of friends and my playthrough (which was from Viridian to Brock), the game seems really easy and holds your hand a lot. Gym Battles aren't as tough as it was in FRLG, and because all 'mons gain experience now, it's easy to be over-leveled if you catched a lot of 'mons beforehand.
  • Pikachu and Eevee cannot evolve. There are moves that only they can learn to make that up, but I still prefer having them evolve.
  • 151 Pokémon, plus Alolan forms. Can't they add some Johto Pokémon, at least into post-game like the Sevii Islands (also, where are the islands?)

That's a good amount of complaints that I have, although since I didn't have a full playthrough some may be wrong. Nevertheless, glad I didn't get this game

I've been playing it for a couple of weeks now and although I generally like the game, I can firmly say that I...

... hate the Pokémon Box. Holy fucking toast. I mean, I kind of figured I would - I've never once wanted free access to the PC at any time. I thought the storage system was perfectly fine the way it was. Of course, if it were just the free access, I could probably cope with that. But giving me just ONE box to hold a THOUSAND Pokémon!? I've been reluctant to really catch anything more than what I need or change my team up because whenever I open the Box, it feels like such an immediate affront to my sense of organization. My OCD flares up like mad. I need separate boxes that I can categorize and populate and sort to my liking. :(

I was also pretty disappointed upon entering Viridian Forest and receiving significant frame drops in the overworld. I could forgive this kind of thing when it was XY on the 3DS, but this is a tile-for-tile remake of Yellow on the Switch that looks like it could have been on the 3DS...

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom