• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How Do Water-type Pokémon Battle Out of Water?

Patrick Haines

Lone Scribe for the Lord of Time
Reaction score
Obviously, some of them have legs (Squirtle, Mudkip, ect) and I can see how Tentacool moves around on their tentacles or Lapras on flippers, but what about the more fish-type ones? Carvanha, Goldeen, and many (many) more. If all they could do is flop around, they would be about as useful as Magikarp in battle. Thoughts?

thats why in anime they show water battlefields with them.
They can use Surf or try to bounce...
In Rain those with Raindance can move faster, water sport a way to glide on a water floor...
Seriously they can jump but their movement is depend on amout of water and has infuence on their speed.
In games it's not visible like it should.

You know, good question I am guessing there are a lot of ponds in the Pokemon world to sort of explain it, but I am still not 100% sure how you could come up with something for that

I swear this was in the anime or a book somewhere (though I can't recall at all), but I thought there was a portrayal somewhere of Water-types being in a floating bubble of water?

Of course, with Pokemon's sci fi elements, we can easily make up something else to suit it-maybe the Poke Balls (on top of their pocket dimension capabilities) can affect gravity a bit, and they simulate an aquatic environment for water-dwelling Pokemon. (though this would make weight-based moves a little weird, and it wouldn't explain wild battles that weren't in water)

Or maybe Water-types just make a big pool for themselves? (big enough to use Dive in, maybe?) They are able to spout an awful lot of water...

I swear this was in the anime or a book somewhere (though I can't recall at all), but I thought there was a portrayal somewhere of Water-types being in a floating bubble of water?

Of course, with Pokemon's sci fi elements, we can easily make up something else to suit it-maybe the Poke Balls (on top of their pocket dimension capabilities) can affect gravity a bit, and they simulate an aquatic environment for water-dwelling Pokemon. (though this would make weight-based moves a little weird, and it wouldn't explain wild battles that weren't in water)

Or maybe Water-types just make a big pool for themselves? (big enough to use Dive in, maybe?) They are able to spout an awful lot of water...

Now that you mention it, I seem to remembering the Water Bubble thing too. And they do spout a ton of what, but if we try to rationalize every aspect, we will go crazy. Or invent a new science...that is a job I want.

Well the anime does show them usually fighting in lakes/ponds/rivers/oceans and in the case of movie 9 use water bubbles, though that was more for entertainment in putting on a show, but the anime isn't usually consistent with the games anyway. They float in the games, I would maybe say some kind of levitation is at play but seeing as Magikarp still flops around that might not be it. I've never really thought about it too much though, it could likely be what somebody else mentioned and they just make a pool for themselves when in battle.

I have had this question on my mind on and off for years. Like. How's my fish battling in the desert? How is it happening? HOW DOES IT DO IT. Especially when models like for finneon just have them... floating in the air. It's actually kind of creepy when I think about it.

They use their power of imagination.

On a more serious note, I always just imagined that some Pokémon can use their power to make themselves levitate when needed, to explain why they look like that in the games. we're talking about a fictional world with super powered monsters after all, so it isn't that strange really.

I don’t really think about it either to be honest. I’ve always just assumed that most water types have an ability to levitate somehow.

As far as I'm concerned, as someone who plays only the games, they pretty much just float out of the ground and breathe air just fine, I suppose. :x
That's how I see it. Like, they can swim through the air and breathe, but they can't straight up fly. At least I see this for the anime.

That's how I see it. Like, they can swim through the air and breathe, but they can't straight up fly. At least I see this for the anime.

I agree that is what it looks like. I just suppose it confuses me that they float but are still hit by Ground-type moves. They are essentially and inherently no Levitate without the ability. I am not saying they should all have that ability, its just very confusing to see a Goldeen just floating in the air.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom