• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we are trapped with Ash thanks to Pokémon 2's development hell... Man, what could have been if Ash got replaced by Ethan and he used the beta Gold Pokémon. Knowing the writers, his starter would be Honoguma.

I think that may be a poor translation; 気力 = Kiryoku = Willpower; 体力 = tairyoku = Physical Strength.

Edit: for clarification, Japanese kanji does not always use an "and" but it is implied.

風雨 = Fūu; wind and rain
The translation provided by SGD is poor. The Japanese does mention willpower; as seen by my above post.
Not that I’m trying to be at all confrontational, but do you know Japanese? Because I certainly don’t, if so you can just stop here and the conversation may reach a final conclusion.

But while 気力 is translated as Willpower in Google translate, I don’t trust it for anything but a very vague idea of what is being said, and when I use Wiktionary it defines 気力 as meaning: spirit, drive, morale and vigor, while the Japanese Dictionary on my iPad adds vitality to that list, but neither define it as referring to Willpower, instead all I can fine that definitively translates as Willpower according to my sources is 意志力, which is defined as Willpower in Wiktionary and appears in the Japanese Dictionary on my iPad when I define the English word Willpower, itself.

One last point, Azelf is defined as the Will Pokémon in Japanese いしポケモン
Will = いし = 意志
意志 + 力 = 意志力
So there’s another thing pointing to 意志力 meaning Willpower and makes me think that’s what they would’ve gone with if they meant Willpower given their choice to use the Romanji form of 意志 for Azelf’s classification, so please forgive me if I am mistaken.

if they choose not to keep regional variants moving forward, I think something similar will replace it. Form changes that offer new designs, but aren't meant to be some huge deal in terms of battles/competitive.

Z moves happened as a result of gamefreak wanting the cool new shiny mechanic to be used by all pokemon, so I think whatever comes next in that regard will be similar. I don't really have any ideas or predictions as to what that could be though since it's so broad. Since we've touched upon natural evolutions (cross gen), form changes, special types of moves, then maybe next they'll focus on shaking up natures or something?

if they choose not to keep regional variants moving forward, I think something similar will replace it. Form changes that offer new designs, but aren't meant to be some huge deal in terms of battles/competitive.

Z moves happened as a result of gamefreak wanting the cool new shiny mechanic to be used by all pokemon, so I think whatever comes next in that regard will be similar. I don't really have any ideas or predictions as to what that could be though since it's so broad. Since we've touched upon natural evolutions (cross gen), form changes, special types of moves, then maybe next they'll focus on shaking up natures or something?
=< I hope they keep regional variants... and don't try to come up with another Mega Evolution/Z-Move mechanic because we don't need the overload. It'd be a good time to just keep using old ideas instead of overloading us with new ones.

Really no reason not to continue the regional variant concept, though- especially since they are called Regional Variants and not just Alolan Variants. Pretty sure Regional Variant and Alolan Form are two separate terms for a reason- they've gotta be planning to continue the concept, right? D= That's why we'd need two different official terms for the same thing at present- one is gonna be an umbrella term covering the next region's forms too.

Feeling pretty good about the possibility of getting new regional variants in Gen 8.

I don't that's likely at all. Also, the whole "Ash marries with Misty" is fanon. Specially since I have not seen official sources that that was the ending. Also, the adult Misty that appeared in that M1 trailer had kids with purple hair.
I think they also were planning to make her to married Tracy (I think that was really stupid that he had a girl name) and have his kids instead Ash,but I think they scrapped it.

I found out that Misty and Brock didn't appear in XY anime and I found out that is odd.

Last edited:
=< I hope they keep regional variants... and don't try to come up with another Mega Evolution/Z-Move mechanic because we don't need the overload. It'd be a good time to just keep using old ideas instead of overloading us with new ones.

Really no reason not to continue the regional variant concept, though- especially since they are called Regional Variants and not just Alolan Variants. Pretty sure Regional Variant and Alolan Form are two separate terms for a reason- they've gotta be planning to continue the concept, right? D= That's why we'd need two different official terms for the same thing at present- one is gonna be an umbrella term covering the next region's forms too.

Feeling pretty good about the possibility of getting new regional variants in Gen 8.

yeah I agree. I think regional variants are something that can stay exciting every generation since as you mentioned, it could be completely different depending on the generation . It would be upsetting to see the idea abandoned. I have my fingers crossed that in gen 8 instead of adding a bunch of new mechanics, they focus on making the foundation of the games great (region design, new pokemon design, story, etc) and then just give us a bunch of new megas and regional variants.

yeah I agree. I think regional variants are something that can stay exciting every generation since as you mentioned, it could be completely different depending on the generation . It would be upsetting to see the idea abandoned. I have my fingers crossed that in gen 8 instead of adding a bunch of new mechanics, they focus on making the foundation of the games great (region design, new pokemon design, story, etc) and then just give us a bunch of new megas and regional variants.
Yeah, I can picture that. A region like that would be cool. This is something that I have seen in hacks, too. The ones that do well are the ones that don't try to bite more than they can chew.

If they do continue with Regional Variants and give us a lot of them, does anyone else want a special area where we can find Regional Variants from Regions other than the one we’re in?
After all we’re not going back to Hoenn again for a long time (…if ever) and it’d be a shame for it to miss out for so long.

If they do continue with Regional Variants and give us a lot of them, does anyone else want a special area where we can find Regional Variants from Regions other than the one we’re in?
After all we’re not going back to Hoenn again for a long time (…if ever) and it’d be a shame for it to miss out for so long.
Maybe they could do something like the Safari Zone, just without the limits it had.

They never had mentioned in the XY movie. I have a feeling that XY anime has taken place in the movie-verse.

There's a problem: Movie-universe didn't exist at the time.

EDIT: There's also the fact that you can't retcon a whole season so easily.

Last edited:
Not that I’m trying to be at all confrontational, but do you know Japanese? Because I certainly don’t, if so you can just stop here and the conversation may reach a final conclusion.

Uh? Okay? I'm sorry for sounding confrontational. I'm far from fluent in Japanese, but I've been studying it for a little over a year now.

Words have many translations/meanings especially based on context 体力 can also mean stamina. When you take your pokemon to the pokecenter, you recover their 体力. Maybe willpower is the wrong translation for 気力, but 気力体力 certainly does not mean just "physical strength" and that's all I was trying to dispute. If you trust the google translation for 気力 体力? Why do not trust the translation of 気力? Compound Kanji are way more complex. Personally, I'm going to trust the translators on this one. Also, I think 意志力 is a much too literal translation of willpower. Like its Literally Will Power, with a space. Instead of plugging random things into a translator, I'd like to see an actual source of that word being used. However, you bring up fair points about Azelf not being referred to as the Being of Willpower in the Japanese version.

They never had mentioned in the XY movie. I have a feeling that XY anime has taken place in the movie-verse.
I don't know which movie you're referring to (there's three XY movies), but I don't see any reason why it would be mentioned. It's not like Kanto or the characters get brought up at all.
Uh? Okay? I'm sorry for sounding confrontational.
(I think SGD was just clarifying that his question "Do you know Japanese?" was meant genuinely, and not like a sarcastic "Um, do you even know Japanese?")

(I think SGD was just clarifying that his question "Do you know Japanese?" was meant genuinely, and not like a sarcastic "Um, do you even know Japanese?")

Okay; I wasn't sure. Either way, I do feel kind of like I was being kind of confrontational in retrospect, so I could have gone about my explanation or wording better.

Edit: too many kinds; now I sound sarcastic. doh...

I don't know which movie you're referring to (there's three XY movies), but I don't see any reason why it would be mentioned. It's not like Kanto or the characters get brought up at all.

I think she's saying that the X/Y season took place in the "I Choose You!" universe.

Maybe they could do something like the Safari Zone, just without the limits it had.

There's a problem: Movie-universe didn't exist at the time.

EDIT: There's also the fact that you can't retcon a whole season so easily.
I think Hoopa's movie had foreshadowed "I Choose You" and "Power of Us". I also think it was hinting that XY and Mega anime is taking place in a different universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom