• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I don’t see it getting delayed. The anime showing signs of the league etc shows that they’re preparing gen 7’s end this year.
Yeah. Everything's pointing towards Gen 8 being released this year. If they delay Gen 8 then they will have to rely on Animal Crossing to get Switch sales this year. I don't see that happening.

I think we'll really see the first signs of gen 8 in a reveal trailer only.

Okay people are getting ridiculous with their delays- they already announced that the games are being released late 2019. There's no delay.

Not too sure if anyone saw this, but one of the mystery Pokemon was revealed (I think it was the Plush from Takara).
The Pokemon -drum rolls- MELTAN!
I'm not too sure if there was another, but I am deff banking its Melmetal now (sorry for sounding pessamistic).
Paul already said that the plush was most likely Meltan. The next mystery is the Mewtwo-related figurine next month, and he's sure that that isn't Melmetal.

Speaking of which, I realized that it most likely isn't Mewtwo in a cape either because that wasn't in the first movie.

Okay people are getting ridiculous with their delays- they already announced that the games are being released late 2019. There's no delay.

Paul already said that the plush was most likely Meltan. The next mystery is the Mewtwo-related figurine next month, and he's sure that that isn't Melmetal.

Speaking of which, I realized that it most likely isn't Mewtwo in a cape either because that wasn't in the first movie.
Maybe Meltan and Melmetal will make an appearance in the movie.

Why would they delay the game? Nintendo needs Gen 8 out this year to be the Switch's big seller this year. If they delay it then they will have to rely on Animal Crossing.

To be fair, a big seller could always be up Nintendo's sleeve unannounced. And something being a "big seller" doesn't mean it'd be exciting to us, much like NSMB games sell very well (better than 3D Mario games IIRC) even though a lot of us pass over them because they're so samey.

With that said, I don't see any reason whatsoever to assume that Generation 8 has been delayed.

Not too sure if anyone saw this, but one of the mystery Pokemon was revealed (I think it was the Plush from Takara).
The Pokemon -drum rolls- MELTAN!
I'm not too sure if there was another, but I am deff banking its Melmetal now (sorry for sounding pessamistic).
Well, that's not surprising at all...

Oh, and by the way, to those saying Kalos was shown in the anime, IIRC (at least in the LA dub) they called it Paris. So, it's part of the early installment weirdness that the early anime had, like mentioning real life places (the LA dub is/was really guilty of this) and using real life animals like Misty's aquarium (fixed later in the series) and that dog that appeared in a New Year's (?) poster.

To be fair, a big seller could always be up Nintendo's sleeve unannounced. And something being a "big seller" doesn't mean it'd be exciting to us, much like NSMB games sell very well (better than 3D Mario games IIRC) even though a lot of us pass over them because they're so samey.

With that said, I don't see any reason whatsoever to assume that Generation 8 has been delayed.
Why would they delay the game? Nintendo needs Gen 8 out this year to be the Switch's big seller this year. If they delay it then they will have to rely on Animal Crossing.
Tbh I think the only reason that people are using for Pokemon Gen 8 being delayed is that after Metroid Prime 4 got delayed, Marcus Sellers said it won't be the only Nintendo title to be delayed. Once he said that, for some odd reason or another everyone and their Mom jumped on the band wagon that Gen 8 was gonna be the next game delayed.
Tbh the fact that people are still under the idea that Marcus is a reliable source baffles me. Not to mention he did not say that Pokemon will be delayed. And if what Pixelpar said was true, as is the lists for jobs last year, it can be easy to see they are for the most part nearing completion to the Gen 8 games.
I'm on mobile right now, but when I get home I'll post Marcus's tweet that caused the "Pokemon Gen 8 will be delayed next" nonsense. Cheers!

Hey I wanted to follow up on my previous post 10 or so pages ago:

Turns out I was right: splatoon had new weapons and patch announced after a major Japan tournament, and the same day Splatoon got patched Smash got it's own patch and Pirhanna Plant.

Sadly, there was no direct or anything involving these, so I think the chances of a direct are a bit slimmer now (since announcing these patches/additions for strong first party games might have made sense). If not smash news, a side from Pokemon, what other first party news could we see in a direct? I think the indies are having their own thing, too...

Its possible we might get some new zelda or Mario game that could be announced in a direct with gen 8 news, BUT it is more likely gen 8 Pokemon will be announced on it's own and not in a Nintendo direct.

I still think we will hear some news in Feb. I think it is safe to say we can't use other video game announcements / Nintendo direct leaks as a way of hinting at gen 8 news

In other news, I'm tired of going through nearly 20 pages of this thread to see politics and people grasping at the thinnest straws. Let us try to refrain from discussing politics!

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm still not sure that we are going to hear anything until further in the year. I feel like the hype is still flowing for Let's Go Eevee and Pikachu, so Game Freak has no push to say anything soon. I'm betting late Spring before anything.

Honestly, I'm still not sure that we are going to hear anything until further in the year. I feel like the hype is still flowing for Let's Go Eevee and Pikachu, so Game Freak has no push to say anything soon. I'm betting late Spring before anything.
That's way too late to announce a new gen. The only way I can see the games be announced that late is if they aren't actually Gen 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom