• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why call Switch a console that is basically a handheld-console? It would lose anything it was created for...but hey.
If it still plays Switch games and connects to the tv, then it's still doing what Switch is supposed to- it's combining the handheld and home console markets into a single market. Which I will forever love the concept of having one device to play every Nintendo game instead of needing a handheld and a home console.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0PwvmeNQY8

Can he be right? Is it another masuda troll?

Verlisify is up there with Megas for clickbaiting trolls- I'm not even going to bother watching that video because he's pretty much wrong about everything.

Sorry guys but i'm not in this hate trend, I don't prticularly like Versisify, but I don't hate him either. Most of the time I agree with his theory on pokemon, but yeah, he's doing a lot of clickbait.

Edit:the video he just made is interesting and make sens.

Sorry guys but i'm not in this hate trend, I don't prticularly like Versisify, but I don't hate him either. Most of the time I agree with his theory on pokemon, but yeah, he's doing a lot of clickbait.

Edit:the video he just made is interesting and make sens.
I just don't like to give him the views to encourage him- pretty sure he's one of the reasons that Pokeshopper moved to using Youtube as its primary update platform.

That’s not the same thing as a revision that straight up can’t be played on a TV though.

If you bought a dockless Switch, you can still buy a dock separately to play on it on a TV.

Indeed but is just the same question — what people would get from a smaller Switch? Smaller Joycons? Smaller battery life? (rip this one actually).
I understand the console now can be expensive, but—.

In regards to these sale numbers. Have we considered that maybe LGPE were actually really good games and people just went in with a negative opinion?

I played them and honestly I just thought they were really solid Pokemon games. I have my issues with them don't get me wrong. But I've had my issues with every Pokemon game that's come out ever, and that hasn't stopped me from enjoying them.

Also I don't buy that no effort went into LGPE. These games are somehow more balanced then most Pokemon games I've played and that's after they completely changed the capturing system.

LGPE was the most enjoyable pokemon game since BW2 for me. But few shared that opinion.

Indeed but is just the same question — what people would get from a smaller Switch? Smaller Joycons? Smaller battery life? (rip this one actually).
Some people might like the convenience of a smaller system. A smaller Switch could fit a bag or purse more easily than the current one, for example.

Actually I would expect a longer battery life from a smaller console- larger devices tend to suck up more juice than smaller ones. Might not be as powerful, though.

But thinking on it more, I think the smaller devices last longer off-charge because being handheld devices means that they're meant to be played away from a charger. So probably a low-res mode for longer battery life in the case of a portable Switch.

Last edited:
This video is talking about games that sell lootboxes, microtransactions, season passes etc... not literally all games. And LGPE has none of the things the youtuber mentioned soo

They definetely shouldn’t cost anywhere near 100$

Not as bad as paying 79-99 dollars for every dedicated switch game in australia, and thats without goodies LOL

That being said, Xenoblade 2 + its cheap season pass is the best game content matched to dollar the switch has gotten so far imo, we even got a prequel chucked in for free lol
Imagine if Pokemon chucked in something like another region via a season pass, that would be hella amazing.

Some people might like the convenience of a smaller system. A smaller Switch could fit a bag or purse more easily than the current one, for example.

Agreed: the portability here is important.
To be precise: I'm not against the idea of an hypothetical "Switch Mini", but I find it hard to be considered, especially with the array of issues brought by itself.

LGPE was the most enjoyable pokemon game since BW2 for me. But few shared that opinion.

Let's Go has its own set of problems but I agree with the "enjoyable" part (I've liked every single Pokémon title so far, tho).
It's a fun experience and it really feels like a Pokémon game — it just needed to be more ambitious, honestly. Game Freak played it kinda safe but I think a full fleshed out "Let's Go Experience".

Maybe just merge the two series together, i.e. remove wild random battles entirely and keep the well known catch or defeat system, while GO-like catch system could be just optional (after all, they already programmed code for it, so).

EDIT:

Actually I would expect a longer battery life from a smaller console- larger devices tend to suck up more juice than smaller ones. Might not be as powerful, though.

But thinking on it more, I think the smaller devices last longer off-charge because being handheld devices means that they're meant to be played away from a charger. So probably a low-res mode for longer battery life in the case of a portable Switch.

Keep in mind this model would also need a better refrigeration so it doesn't burn itself down while playing more demanding games (I hope they can solve this anyway). Kind offtopic but I'd recommend you to watch this video of someone opening a Switch. It's pretty cool how everything's arranged inside it.

Lower specs for a better battery life could scare a lot of people, but it would probably gain a niche between kids or people who honestly don't care too much about graphics or performance.

Last edited:
Agreed: the portability here is important.
To be precise: I'm not against the idea of an hypothetical "Switch Mini", but I find it hard to be considered, especially with the array of issues brought by itself.

Let's Go has its own set of problems but I agree with the "enjoyable" part (I've liked every single Pokémon title so far, tho).
It's a fun experience and it really feels like a Pokémon game — it just needed to be more ambitious, honestly. Game Freak played it kinda safe but I think a full fleshed out "Let's Go Experience".

Maybe just merge the two series together, i.e. remove wild random battles entirely and keep the well known catch or defeat system, while GO-like catch system could be just optional (after all, they already programmed code for it, so).

I mean every pokemon game share their own issues and problems, but LGPE did a lot of things right that the series should have done long ago. The new catching mechanic was annoying at first, but when i got the hand of it, it was a blessing in disguise. Im glad I didnt have to grudgingly sent out a slow pokemon, take an attack, use spore, use stat reducing moves, wait for them to get in X hp, lob a ball, madly press A, wait to catch one mon. I could just chuck on gold berry and chuck and chain like a madman.

I mean every pokemon game share their own issues and problems, but LGPE did a lot of things right that the series should have done long ago. The new catching mechanic was annoying at first, but when i got the hand of it, it was a blessing in disguise. Im glad I didnt have to grudgingly sent out a slow pokemon, take an attack, use spore, use stat reducing moves, wait for them to get in X hp, lob a ball, madly press A, wait to catch one mon. I could just chuck on gold berry and chuck and chain like a madman.
...why do you madly press A while catching a pokemon. XD

Press Item, press a to select, a to confirm, and since the actions are slow on the 3ds games might as well press a more times while we wait to see if the mon is caught XD
Have to madly press A at the poke center too

XD Aha, alright- giggling at the A-pressing now, but I getcha.

I still can't bring myself to even want to play LGPE between the lack of content for the dollar amount and the GO-mechanics. I like Pokemon GO, honest I do, but I like playing it for a few minutes at a time... for free. Aside from Community Days (where it's still a chore), I am not keen on using those catch mechanics over a long duration. The frustration of missing the pokemon, bouncing a ball off its head, having the pokemon pop out repeatedly, wasting a shitton of balls just to have it run away... or else time the throw and aim it just right is just... uuuuuuuuugh. No. Not for a full-length game. Which granted, LGPE isn't one, but then we go right back to the dollar amount issue.

I can throw pokeballs GO-style for free, and at non-Gen 1 pokemon too... and LGPE didn't really add much new besides that so... yeah. Not worth it for me. I'd rather just throw a ball and wait without the extra frustration.

Press Item, press a to select, a to confirm, and since the actions are slow on the 3ds games might as well press a more times while we wait to see if the mon is caught XD
Have to madly press A at the poke center too

I know how you feel about repeating the A button. Using that same super-effective move over and over... Throwing that same ultra ball over and over... does drag on a bit :LOL:

Last edited:
Speaking of things LGPE added (or re-added), I hope if they do make the following feature available in Gen 8, that they make it... smarter? I was really not impressed by the constant teleporting pokemon when I was watching the trailers. I don't care if they're in the way, you wouldn't sensibly keep returning your pokemon to their ball and summoning them back out just to move them. Just code it so they move out of the way on their own. They have legs and sense, they can move themselves.

Speaking of things LGPE added (or re-added), I hope if they do make the following feature available in Gen 8, that they make it... smarter? I was really not impressed by the constant teleporting pokemon when I was watching the trailers. I don't care if they're in the way, you wouldn't sensibly keep returning your pokemon to their ball and summoning them back out just to move them. Just code it so they move out of the way on their own. They have legs and sense, they can move themselves.

Yeah it was annoying as there was a lot of collision issues with partner pokemon, if there was a tight spot the player could fit through but the pokemon couldn't, the collision didnt seem to work well for the partner pokemon sometimes, they would either clip edges or just get stuck. Was annoying when they got stuck and just teleported to the player.

I agree with enjoying the capture system itself more in LGPE than previous games - LGP is not my favourite game in the series (Crystal still holds that place, very possibly out of nostalgia) but I really did enjoy some of its innovations coming straight from playing US after years of being lapsed and hope some (not all, mind you) of them make a return in Gen 8. In all fairness, though, throwing a hundred balls at the legendaries with the joy-con in the living room wasn't necessarily the optimal replacement for the agreedly tired process that @gingerninja23 described above. Personally, going forwards, I'd like them to take the improvements (e.g. Pokémon in the overworld and, by extension, selective encounters) while binning (e.g. restricted dex/content) or simply improving upon the faults (e.g. execution of more streamlined catching) and integrate them into the main series. But that's just me and I know a lot of people disagree vehemently. And that's alright by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom