• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The History of the TM

Patrick Haines

Lone Scribe for the Lord of Time
Reaction score
Ok, so I made this up for a story I am writing, but I tried to keep it as close to the canon as possible (I made up the Unova/Kalos companies). Does it seem to work and flow with what the games have introduced? This is assuming the games are chronological/occurred in the years they were released AND that TMs do not get replaced when new ones get developed, simply re-numbered, so there are currently 192 (if my math is right) different TMs.

TMs (No HMs)
-First developed in 1990 by Silph Co.
--The idea was developed by mimicking older artificial techniques used by Gym Leaders (Koga-Toxic, Giovanni-Fissure)
--Only 50 total were made, each with only a single use on a CD drive, and they required a TM Machine to use (Alpha Format)
-From 1990-1998, Silph Co. expands on their original success and succeeds in creating more of their original 50 TMs, as well as 37 new ones
--Some of the TMs (ex. Fury Cutter) were created with aid from the Gym Leaders for use as prizes in their gyms
-From 1998-2003, Devon Corp., working in conjunction with Silph Co., creates 24 new TMs, based on the original models
-From 2003-2006, a huge breakthrough is made by the TM Company (the new name for the Silph-Devon Collaboration)
--In addition to 40 new TMs, all new discs become re-usable (though still requiring the use of the TM Machine), making the old discs obsolete (Beta Format)
--The breakthrough of the reusable discs allows Silph and Devon to increase their manufacturing and factories are set up in Castelia City, Unova, (Richter Industries) and Lumiose City, Kalos (Canavere Industries)
-From 2006-2010, 26 new TMs are developed and the old CD format is replaced with a tiny, cube format (Gamma Format)
--Devon Corp develops a machine that is usable for both the Beta and Gamma Format TMs
-From 2010-2013, the TM Company collaborates with the PokéBall Branch of Silph Co. to create new PokéBalls that include miniature TM Machines, allowing for trainers to use their TMs anytime, anywhere
--Twelve new TMs are also developed

Last edited:
Something you should note is that Giovanni made the Fissure TM and Bugsy (most likely) made the TM for Fury Cutter. Something else is that TMs differ in remakes and generations, especially with the multiverse theory and whatnot.

Don't forget Koga's family apparently inventing how to teach Pokémon Toxic.

I both love and hate Koga's family for that. I hate when toxic is used on my pokemon, but when I'm facing a legendary that is nearly in possible to defeat, teaching my entire team toxic is awesome. I can keep using up revives while the legendary cough Necrozma cough gets taken down by being poisoned.

Something you should note is that Giovanni made the Fissure TM and Bugsy (most likely) made the TM for Fury Cutter. Something else is that TMs differ in remakes and generations, especially with the multiverse theory and whatnot.

I will add Giovanni and Bugsy, but I (more-or-less) reconciled al of the games into a single timeline, so no multi-verse in my stories. Instead, all of the different TMs exist simultaneously, they just get re-numbered.

Don't forget Koga's family apparently inventing how to teach Pokémon Toxic.

Added, thank you.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom