• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: Awards Show Speculation and Discussion 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorothy

My love is stronger than my fear of death
Reaction score
Well, the Golden Globes are already behind us, and awards season is just getting started with the Oscars happening in just over a month. This thread is to speculate and discuss about awards nominations and winners in the 2019 awards season.

I'm rooting for The Favourite and Can You Ever Forgive Me? this season. Still have to see a bunch of contenders, with If Beale Street Could Talk and A Star is Born on the top of my priority list.

I really want Into the Spider-Verse to sweep the animation categories at all the film awards shows, tbh. Most ambitious and groundbreaking animated film we've seen in a long while.

I have zero faith in the Oscars' animation department anymore. After they gave the award to freaking Boss Baby of all things over much more deserving films like A Silent Voice, In This Corner of the World, and The Breadwinner, I stopped caring about the Oscars extremely narrow view of animation as a medium and their blatant favoritism towards anything made here.

Last edited:
I have zero faith in the Oscars' animation department anymore. After they gave the award to freaking Boss Baby of all things over much more deserving films like A Silent Voice, In This Corner of the World, and The Breadwinner, I stopped caring about the Oscars extremely narrow view of animation as a medium and their blatant favoritism towards anything not made here.
This gets on my nerves too, doesn't help that the Oscars already snub animated films from not just other countries, but even here too, that are more deserving of an award than Boss Baby (seriously, I'm surprised it's getting a sequel and has a Netflix series). I'm just surprised more Studio Ghibli movies don't get awards, I know Spirited Away got an Academy Award and rightfully so, but that was back in 2002 (or 3), others got nominations (iirc Howl's Moving Castle, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, The Wind Rises, and I think two others) but otherwise yeah they are mostly overlooked/ignored.

Well I don't watch the Oscars anymore anyway, especially after seeing animated and certain live action movies getting snubbed from deserving awards or even at least nominations. So I've just been really indifferent about the whole thing and anything else associated with it now.

Why would people care about what movies win what awards? Can't you still enjoy the movie even if it didn't win anything?

Why would people care about what movies win what awards? Can't you still enjoy the movie even if it didn't win anything?
Of course you can, but sometimes the Oscars snub great movies and actors without reason. Now admittedly this is because people do want to see their favorites win an award because it's their favorite and no other reason for them (most have thought this, and I was no exception at a time), but there are movies that have a very compelling story, characters, setting, etc. that may not be used all that often that get overlooked; or actors that had an astounding performance and they get snubbed over for someone else, and some think it's a low blow when that happens. Regardless there are many other different reasons that people care, it's gonna end up being subjective anyway. And quite obviously Hollywood and the acting industry cares, so people will care regardless.

I don't really pay much attention to the Oscars (waste of time in my honest opinion), but every year, I look forward to the Razzies, which "honours" the worst that Hollywood has to offer. Normally, I create a thread for it, but since it's rarely visited, I have given it up. Here are my tips to "win" the Razzies.

Worst Picture: Holmes & Watson
Worst Director: Etan Cohen (Holmes & Watson)
Worst Actor: Donald Trump (Death of a Nation and Fahrenheit 11/9 as himself)
Worst Actress: Melissa McCarthy (The Happytime Murders as Detective Connie Edwards)
Worst Supporting Actor: John C. Riley (Holmes & Watson as Dr. John Watson)
Worst Supporting Actress: Melania Trump (Fahrenheit 11/9 as herself)
Worst Screen Combo: Donald Trump & his self-perpetuating pettiness (Death of a Nation and Fahrenheit 11/9)
Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel: Death of a Nation (Quality Flix)
Worst Screenplay: Death of a Nation – Dinesh D'Spiza and Bruce Schooley; based on The Big Lie and Death of a Nation by D'Souza
Razzie Redeemer Award: Tyler Perry- Vice

Those who are interested to know the full list of nominees, go to 39th Golden Raspberry Awards - Wikipedia

And, conversely, sometimes they give Best Picture to Crash.
The one with Sandra Bullock? (I'm gonna assume you didn't mean the '96 one right?)

Regardless both movies were meh imo, though Crash ('04) is an interesting one where it won best picture but was considered the worst choice for it. (I actually wanted Brokeback Mountain to win Best Picture though tbh)

The one with Sandra Bullock? (I'm gonna assume you didn't mean the '96 one right?)

Regardless both movies were meh imo, though Crash ('04) is an interesting one where it won best picture but was considered the worst choice for it. (I actually wanted Brokeback Mountain to win Best Picture though tbh)
Crash (2004), yes. Brokeback Mountain absolutely should have won Best Picture that year, or at minimum Good Night, and Good Luck. Fuck, I think Capote was up that year as well. They literally picked the only wrong answer.

These Oscars are a joke/ Bohemian Rhapsody for Best Editing? Give me a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom