• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should have stated that the thread speculated, but its not improbable if said leaker didn't want to reveal the box titles for whatever reason.
So we should assume that they're giving out a codename, despite putting Pokemon in front of the title when it's not in front of any codenames, and that they're reluctant to reveal the box titles (which they claim will be released within the month), despite revealing a major plot point and the name of a new feature?

So we should assume that they're giving out a codename, despite putting Pokemon in front of the title when it's not in front of any codenames, and that they're reluctant to reveal the box titles (which they claim will be released within the month), despite revealing a major plot point and the name of a new feature?

Wasn’t Pokemon Sun/Moon listed as ‘Pokemon Niji’ in some Nintendo files before release?

Not that I believe in this leak, it was just something I read.

There are just too many mythical 'mons out there.

They contribute nothing.
Wish we would go back to one Mew mythical and no more than five legendaries in a generation- unless they give more point to the mythicals, but in no way do we need more than five legendaries. Just the box mascots and the trio, don't need anything else.

Wish we would go back to one Mew mythical and no more than five legendaries in a generation- unless they give more point to the mythicals, but in no way do we need more than five legendaries. Just the box mascots and the trio, don't need anything else.

It'll be actually really neat! If they include ample of Megas, Regional Variants and cross-evolutions (moar split evolutions!!)

I'll excuse it if there are some really new ideas. Type:Null's reveal was really shocking and surprising to me, for instance.

I think you might be thinking of the logo reveal-it did confirm the codenames, but it was actually "Niji_A and Niji_B", not "Pokemon Niji". View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nintend:bulbaWave:comments/47pnj3/pok%C3%A9mon_sunmoon_title_assets_file_names_confirm/

A (fan)site mentioned it as 'Pokemon Niji'. I digged around a little and found that the original surfacing of the codename too doesn’t mention 'Pokemon', just 'Niji'.
I guess I was mistaken and the word Pokémon was added by the author as their own addition.

"Wonder" doesn’t really sound like the typical codename choice: 'Autumn' (for BW/2? Not sure, I remember it from somewhere), something related to Whales for XY, 'Rainbow', 'Stars' (?? Do we know USUM's codename?), 'Beluga'... and now simply 'Wonder' after those deeper names?

So if there is one thing I think everyone would agree with that we are most curious about in Gen 8, I think that has to be the music they will use. Since Gen 6 I think they used some synth style music in the OST (at least in Gen's 6 and 7) and while they are OK, I didn't really find most of them memorable aside from a select few. However recently I heard that Game Freak upped the quality of music and used some real orchestrated music for the themes in Let's Go.
Going by that, and it may sound greedy, but I really want a fully orchestrated OST for Pokemon Gen 8. Strings, winds, the works, a wonderful orchestra. Judging by the last few games Nintendo released, they seem to be heavily promoting the music of the titles, and while I know Nintendo EAD are separate from Game Freak and the Pokemon Co., I can't help but want Pokemon to make one ultimate master piece opening to their games, something that will entrance myself and others, and ready us all for an adventure. One example and basically a (unrealistic) wish is for an opening OR even theme in the vein of this (which equally has me listen to it on loop since I first heard it):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL_uJJyWJ_E

(and yes, this is also a way for me to gush about my other favorite video game series of all time, Kingdom Hearts, and its menu theme for Kingdom Hearts 3)

TL;DR: I REALLY REALLY want an captivating, orchestrated, OST similar to Kingdom Hearts, or at least leaves me with all forms of emotions, even when I am about to start my journey. Anyways, Cheers everyone!

KH3 ost was really good, i don't think any pokemon game will ever that level of emotional music, especially the other promise/vector to heavens arrange.

"Wonder" is a very generic codename if true. Even the far more specific "Beluga" ended up meaning nothing.
Beluga has to do with communication, which was an important theme of the game (Communication with Pikachu and Eevee).

Even the other code names, although they sound different, work well with what they represent. B2/W2’s was Swan and US/UM was Autumn Leaves or something like that. Both represented the “end” of something. B2/W2 was the Swan Song of the DS, the last Pokémon game before the 3DS. And US/UM is the Autumn before the Switch’s Winter.

Wonder is too generic of a codename, especially if you compare it to Rainbow (SM) and Beluga (LGPE).
Beluga has to do with communication, which was an important theme of the game (Communication with Pikachu and Eevee).

Even the other code names, although they sound different, work well with what they represent. B2/W2’s was Swan and US/UM was Autumn Leaves or something like that. Both represented the “end” of something. B2/W2 was the Swan Song of the DS, the last Pokémon game before the 3DS. And US/UM is the Autumn before the Switch’s Winter.

what about one of the 7 wonders of the world? (thinking of roman Colosseum here for the rumor)

That's very loose considering that the belugas communicate among themselves (although they do try mimic their captors, which is kind of sad to think about). Pikachu and Eevee are akin to pets.

Both represented the “end” of something. B2/W2 was the Swan Song of the DS, the last Pokémon game before the 3DS. And US/UM is the Autumn before the Switch’s Winter.
Which is very generic. They could have been replaced by completely different games for the same systems without the codenames changing.

true, unless they used Circus as a reference to Circus Maximus or a Amphitheatre rather than more modern Circus with animals and performers as we know circus today.
a fun tid bit to add since the rumor included Runes
"The origins of the runic script are shrouded in a decent amount of mystery. The earliest inscription that is without a doubt runic is the one reading harja (possibly meaning “comb”, or “warrior”) on the Vimose comb from Denmark, dated to c. 160 CE, which uses runes so confidently and maturely that scholars feel it must result from at least a hundred years’ experience in writing in runes. How exactly this tradition was pulled out of the hat, however, is subject to much debate and speculation. Inspiration from both the Greek and Romanalphabets, as well as a northern Italic or even Danish origin, has been suggested. The Greek route is perhaps the most likely in light of the resemblances in script, and a variation of a Greek alphabet – Greek was unstandardised between c. 700-400 CE – may have reached Germanic speakers by way of a ‘middle-man’ group perhaps made up of eastern Europeans. Norse mythology itself offers us a fun alternative, too, in depicting the god Odin gaining the knowledge of the runes after sacrificing himself to himself and hanging on the “windy tree” for nine nights with no food or drink (Hávamál, 139-140).
Either way, by 500 CE use of the runic script had fanned out across the Germanic world – from Norway, Sweden, Denmark and England to outposts in Germany, Russia, Poland and Hungary – and recorded a variety of Germanic languages. The main runic scripts that eventually came into being were:
  • Elder Futhark (at least c. 160-700 CE)
  • Younger Futhark (c. 700-c. 1200 CE)
  • Anglo-Saxon Futhorc (also Anglo-Frisian Futhorc, c. 5th century-c. 1000 CE)
  • Medieval Futhork (fully formed c. 13th century CE).
Right from the earliest runic remains we have found, variation is present, which ties in with the fact that the runic alphabet is obviously not a one-on-one with a language, but was used in various contexts to write a multitude of Germanic languages spoken across a large geographic area. Shapes of runes may vary, as may order, usage, medium and layout, resulting from, for example, regional, social or chronological differences. There is thus no such thing as a standardised runic alphabet. Variation had skyrocketed by 700 CE, around which time a divergence can be seen from the previously fairly uniform Elder Futhark to the reduced-character Younger Futhark in Scandinavia which would later crystallise into Medieval Futhork, and the more elaborate Anglo-Saxon Futhorc across Britain and Frisia."
Runes

So it's currently the 4th over here... guess that gives until sometime tomorrow for any logos or trademarks to pop up if there's going to be an announcement on the 6th? I don't think we're expecting a game announcement on the 6th, though, are we? Waiting for whatever Mewtwo's secret is first.

@PocketMonster Why would they base the codename (which it isn't even suggested to be) off of the new Festival Plaza? No codename has been based around just one feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom