• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by the timeline available on Bulbapedia, Porygon would be a maximum of 10 years old by the time of Gen I.

Porygon was definitely said to have been created at the Pokémon Lab in Cinnabar. There's a brief report about it at the Silph Company. Besides, even though it's not said outright to be a recent development, I highly doubt they've been able to make a full-fledged, complex digital lifeform for more than a few years. That is a major technological feat, especially considering that researchers' understandings of Pokémon at that time were quite limited. SM's specification that it happened 20 years ago bears that out - assuming a gap of 5 years between Johto+Sinnoh and Unova Part 1 gives us a span of 12 years between the Kanto and Alola stories, which would put Porygon's creation at only 8 years prior to RGBY. Although I don't think retcons really matter all that much here. Obviously some dude writing new Pokédex entries in 2016 for SM has no bearing whatsoever on what the founders of Game Freak were thinking of as thematic ideas for RG back in the 1990s. Same goes for Hoenn being retroactively made contemporaneous with the Kanto storyline. There's actually nothing in Ruby or Sapphire to suggest that's the case as opposed to RS being a direct sequel to GSC, so Devon having fossil regeneration technology isn't technically a problem.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say that technology is the "theme" of Kanto, I do think that impressive scientific advancements and theories are a deliberately recurring motif, with Mewtwo, Porygon, and the fossils being part of that, as well as the Pokédex.

Last edited:
Ok so I took this file from someone else who posted it here, but the poster that's red on the left looks like the shape of Dialga to me?

The one on the right is a mystery. Cant tell of it's a four legged legendary or if its wings. It's likely a new Pokemon??? (It looks like Ho-Oh, the thing on the far left is the tower its flying away from, as is the one on the right?? Maybe yveltal?? It looks different outlined then when it isnt; outlined version looks like maybe arceus with a weird tail(?)

There was also the Universe thing in LGPE. I have a strong feeling gen 8 will have sinnoh reference since a remake of gen 4 is likely coming I think(?)

I know I'm stretching a bit, but anyways:

Switch Mini will likely not effect gen 8 quality. I remember many 3ds games that struggled to work on 2ds, including some Pokemon games where double battles were largely slower than on 3ds, but yeah I wouldnt worry too much for that

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    233.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
True, and at the end of the day, all I'm hoping for is Gen 8 has the Pro Controller support so I can use it to play on the TV (IDK why, I just love using the Pro Controller for most RPG games when I play on TV). But I do kinda want a Switch Mini to be possible/real if only because I think the concept may be interesting.

Also speaking of Gen 8, in Let's Go, we know the only method to obtain Melmetal was to get 400 Meltan candies. Do you guys think they will keep that restriction for Meltan/Melmetal, or will they introduce a new evolution method for Meltan and Melmetal in Gen 8?
Honestly, I think they will keep that restriction to force people to buy Let's Go if Gen 8 doesn't have GO connectivity. And if Gen 8 does have GO connectivity... probably still keep it. Especially if the way to obtain Meltan stays the same. You need GO either way.
They'll almost certainly change it, I can't imagine they'd keep the candy system outside of a Go-based game.
Can't even evolve Meltan in Let's Go, though, so whether Gen 8 has the candy system or not shouldn't matter too much in that regard.

I'm not saying N was being foolish, I'm just saying he didn't rebel against Ghetsis as early as Lillie and Gladion did against Lusamine. (and neither had that support when they first ran away) That's a fact.

Those Pokemon are all in predator/prey relationships. Zangoose and Seviper are depicted as struggling equals, not predator/prey.

If reusing a theme means it doesn't count as the main theme, then the forces of nature can't be the theme, either, because it's also frequently used in Pokemon designs. (in fact, it's the name for the trio of Tornadus, Thunderous, and Landerous)

Yes, absolutely.

• Darkrai and Cresselia have moonlight and the new moon as major parts of their design. Darkrai's signature
  • Ampharos's PokeDex category is the Light Pokemon, and a plot point in Johto involves healing it so it can power a lighthouse
  • Xerneas' dex entries talk about its horns shining, and Yvetal's talk about its wings glowing
  • Flash, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Light of Ruin, Moonblast and Dazzling Gleam are moves based around light (and some of these moves were based on the day/night mechanic when they were introduced in Gen 2)
  • Umbreon and Espeon are associated with the sun and moon, and their designs reference eclipses
  • Solrock and Lunatone are based on the sun and moon
  • Lumiose City has its name derived from terms relating to light in most languages, and Prism Tower is heavily based around light
  • Harsh sunlight's been a mechanic since Gen 3
  • Ho-Oh's feathers shine with the colors of the rainbow
Lilie and Gladion are just running away from home because they have family issues, N is inside a criminal organisation who secretly wants to control the world. It's not exactly the same. I think N maybe needed more time to understand cause his situation was not so easy as Lilie and Gladion's and he was manipulated by his father, you know. In the end Lilie and Gladion happily reunite with their mother like nothing ever happened, N disappears alone without a family. Do you really think Lilie was more rebellious than N?

You confuse day/night and sun/moon with light. Those are not about light itself. Darkrai and Cresselia are based on the the moon. They have nothing to do with light. The fact that some pokemon have shining features or shining moves is obvious, electric is even a type you know that doesn't mean that light was a theme in their generation. Sun weather is not strictly related to light but to heat. The only real reference to light in all your points is the Lumiose one because it refers to a real fact, Paris was the heart of a movement that has light in is name. But it was not a reference to light actually. Those people were searching for the "light of reason" against the obscurantism of past centuries.

Just to mention:

• The games are called sun and moon. The codename of gen 7 is Pokemon Niji, Pokemon rainbow. Rainbow is a game of lights.
  • The main legends are made of light and evolve when exposed to light, they also have light forms.
  • One of the legend is a prism, it is the creator of light, the one who gave and stole light from the worlds.
  • Z-crystals, gen 7 main mechanic, are made from its light. Sparkling stone is the raw material used to create z-rings. When z-moves are used light goes from the trainer to the pokemon who immediately start to shine with a bright light..
  • Tha main plot of usum is to preserve the light in Alola.
  • There's a squad who tries to restore the light in its world. They are pale cause not exposed to light for a long time.
  • Alola light was stolen in the past, before usum, and people had to unite against darkness to bring back light.
  • Rockruff evolutions happen when it is exposed to a certain light.
  • Aether foundation --- Ether, also spelled aether, also called luminiferous ether, in physics, a theoretical universal substance believed during the 19th century to act as the medium for transmission of electromagnetic waves (e.g., light and X-rays). This is why their uniforms are so bright.
  • The measure of distance in US is light years (not something really needed in a pokemon game but they decided to use it anyway).
These are all incredibly relevant things in the plots of gen 7. It you want to ignore that light is a theme in gen 7 do it but saying that light was a theme in gen 2 because ho-oh feathers shine and an electric type pokemon is used to power a lighthouse is a bit of a stretch. We are clearly not understanding what "theme" means for each other.

Last edited:
Ok so I took this file from someone else who posted it here, but the poster that's red on the left looks like the shape of Dialga to me?

The one on the right is a mystery. Cant tell of it's a four legged legendary or if its wings. It's likely a new Pokemon??? (It looks like Ho-Oh, the thing on the far left is the tower its flying away from, as is the one on the right?? Maybe yveltal?? It looks different outlined then when it isnt; outlined version looks like maybe arceus with a weird tail(?)

There was also the Universe thing in LGPE. I have a strong feeling gen 8 will have sinnoh reference since a remake of gen 4 is likely coming I think(?)

I know I'm stretching a bit, but anyways:

Switch Mini will likely not effect gen 8 quality. I remember many 3ds games that struggled to work on 2ds, including some Pokemon games where double battles were largely slower than on 3ds, but yeah I wouldnt worry too much for that
Seems to suggest that Gen 4 remakes will happen after the Gen 8 games. It isn't out of the realm of possibility for Game Freak to tease Pokemon games when there is still one more game to be released before it, like with the Strange Souvenir that you can obtain from Pokemon X and Y. To further the idea of Gen 4 remakes, under the Dialga-looking thing appears to be above a lake of some kind, possibly alluding to the lakes in which Mesprit, Azelf and Uxie live in.

Last edited:
There was also the Universe thing in LGPE.
What's that?

I know I'm stretching a bit,
I would have to agree. If those posters refer to upcoming games, surely they're paired versions.

XY and ORAS never used the 3D effect in the overworld, while SM and USUM didn't use it at all. And double battles were a mess even on the New 3DS as far as the Alola games were concerned.

They did say that the games are designed to be more portable than LGPE are, whatever that means.

I thought that someone 'official' from Nintendo had said that there were NO plans for a switch mini? Or maybe I'm remembering incorrectly... I honestly don't see the point for them to make one - the price point wouldn't be that much different anyways. The Switch is already portable, so why make a mini version??

The point of the Switch itself is to operate as Nintendo's answer to the Tablet market while blending their console/handheld base into one. They kinda have all bases covered so far, less I'm missing something.

I could only see a "mini" operating like a well sized Notebook with a return to the stylus, more functional apps, and possible customization cases. Pretty much a Nintendo gaming "smartphone", but I question if such is really needed functionally, aside from being more portable.

The point of the Switch itself is to operate as Nintendo's answer to the Tablet market while blending their console/handheld base into one. They kinda have all bases covered so far, less I'm missing something.

I could only see a "mini" operating like a well sized Notebook with a return to the stylus, more functional apps, and possible customization cases. Pretty much a Nintendo gaming "smartphone", but I question if such is really needed functionally, aside from being more portable.

Well, to be honest, I'm more likely to buy the 'mini' than to ever play any of the mobile games they release for the phone. I just can't get into the mobile gaming thing.

I thought that someone 'official' from Nintendo had said that there were NO plans for a switch mini? Or maybe I'm remembering incorrectly... I honestly don't see the point for them to make one - the price point wouldn't be that much different anyways. The Switch is already portable, so why make a mini version??
Cheaper version for people who can't afford it. Longer battery life. Smaller size for enhanced portability- can't carry a tablet in your pocket, after all.

But nah, they just said that they weren't planning a successor to the Switch yet. A new model in the same family wouldn't be a successor. It'd be like the DSi to the DS.

The mobile market is huge in Asia (at least in countries like Japan, China, Taiwan etc.) and based on comments I've seen online, the 3DS is allegedly still very popular among Japanese children. A Switch Mini will presumably be smaller with a longer battery life, likely due to having a smaller screen to support. Battery life is important for a portable device and I imagine a smaller-sized Switch will be easier to carry around, especially for a child.

The lower price will also make it more accessible. Children have to ask their parents for the Switch because they don't have their own money. Siblings may fight over the console, so a lower price might encourage parents to buy multiple Switch Minis. There are people that are only interested in the Switch because of Pokemon so the Switch Mini is good enough for them. The Switch is amazing, but I do believe there are benefits and a market for the Switch Mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom