• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know; they eliminated held items, but they still bothered to include mega evolutions through different means, but not the Z moves for Pikachu or Eevee. I think that's pretty significant. Either way, I think it means they definitely do not regret mega evolution like some people have tried to claim. I won't be disapointed if we don't get new megas, but I won't be surprised if we do. They still owe us Mega Flygon.

If you look at the coding and datamine for LGPE, they actually have held all the standard items, held items, abilities and everything else programmed in. They even have Meltan and Melmetal's abilities programmed in. But for some reason the game elected to not use these.

Perhaps this was a designer choice for simplifying the games or the transition from Pokemon GO to LGPE transfers somehow got in the way, although thats kinda lazy either way lol

Last edited:
1. They didn't make it a secret that they were visiting those caves. And yet we never knew about their trips to New York, northern France or Hawaii.

2. Megas being in LGPE is no different than the inclusion of Alolan variants. They were making the most of Kanto Pokemon.

3. Holding onto Eternal Floette for six years is a bit much. There will be actually new Pokemon to promote.
They didn't make it a secret, but it sounded like they weren't looking to get noticed either- if someone hadn't caught them and blown the whistle, we probably wouldn't have known they were there. On the flip-side, I don't think that it's particularly surprising that no one happened to spot them doing field research in crowded Manhattan or majority-Asian Hawaii.

If you look at the coding and datamine for LGPE, they actually have held items, items, abilities and everything else programmed in. They even have Meltan and Melmetal's abilities programmed in. But for some reason the game elected to not use these.
Yeah, I imagine that it's coded in because it's built off of the same code as all of the other games. Fun fact: they've apparently been copy-pasting the Key Item list since Gen 4, everything is still in there.

They didn't make it a secret, but it sounded like they weren't looking to get noticed either- if someone hadn't caught them and blown the whistle, we probably wouldn't have known they were there. On the flip-side, I don't think that it's particularly surprising that no one happened to spot them doing field research in crowded Manhattan or majority-Asian Hawaii.

Yeah, I imagine that it's coded in because it's built off of the same code as all of the other games. Fun fact: they've apparently been copy-pasting the Key Item list since Gen 4, everything is still in there.

Yeah I noticed that, especially in ORAS where they had XY assets present. They just copy and merge into the next game. I can understand why, but theres a lot of useless junk.

In regards to any new mechanic for gen 8; I don't think it would be anything that would be on the same level as Mega Evolution or Z moves. I have thought for a long time, but simply can't imagine any kind of mechanic on the same level of marketability. Like, if they did something with Abilities it would have to be something semi technical like a skill tree and not an in-battle thing or else it might be too similar to Mega Evolution.

I've given this a bit of thought, and I think they might do something like improve upon the concept of the Eviolite. The Eviolite, of course gives a slight stat boost to unevolved Pokemon, but it's rarely that great of an item, and then you lose out on using a better item. I think they should remove the Eviolite and replace it with some sort of mechanic that can train up Base stats:

Super Training: increases EVs
Hyper Training: increases IVs
Secret Training: increases Bases Stats?

With this and the likes of the Ability Capsule, Z moves and Mega evolution, there is definitely a trend to try and make any Pokemon "viable". LGPE are the first introduction to the concept of unevolved pokemon having higher than normal Base stats (that I can think of). I think that expanding on this would be...amazing frankly. There are so many pokemon where I love one of the early stages more than the final stage. It would be nice to keep a Pokemon the way I want it, but not lose out on Base Stats.

I'm not entirely sure how I would implement it. Maybe it just increases the base stats to that of the evolved form? Maybe there is more trade off like slightly better speed on some Pokemon. I would be okay with losing out on other things like moves that only the evolved form can learn, typing changes, or abilities; etc.

As an added bonus, with the Eviolite gone, there would be no more bulky Chansey, Porygon2, Dusclops, and people would no longer be able to say that it's the reason we can't have cross gen evolutions anymore, so... (wishful thinking, I know). Such a concept would make for a really great trailer, but it would not be able to carry the entire marketing campaign like Megas, Regional Variants, and Zmoves did, so they could bring back one or more of these.

Sorry for the long post. :p

Whatever Gen 8's new mechanic is... I hope it's not another kind of form change. =/ Unless they're going to give some attention to Mega Evolutions and/or Regional Variants too. I mean, if they wanna introduce another new form concept while still giving the last two attention, sure thing. But if they just brush megas and regional variants under the rug again- nnnoooo. We already have mechanics for that, we don't need to keep introducing one and dropping them every new generation- no no no no no GameFreak no. You're gonna overload the series with form concepts that way.

I wish that Gen 8 doesn't add another big game mechanic. But rather focuses on improving the current ones we do have. Give the Pokemon who need it, Mega-Evolutons or Regional Variants or a powerful Z-Move or new evolutions for old Pokemon such as Corsola.
I actually agree with this. Concentrate on what you made, but don't add another gimmick to the series. Instead add or refine the current ones and make them fun and pleasing for all the fans. Sure Z-Moves have one for each type, but they can make a few more for specific Pokemon. Or maybe give Mega's to Pokemon that were not viable before (points with a might rage at Farfetch'D), or give other Pokemon from other regions a regional variant.

Which we are on this topic, if there is one thing I personally do hope they return or add in, its the of the introduction of a new Baby Pokemon, and new proper evolution's of past generation Pokemon in a similar vein to what Gen's 2 and 4 did. IDK about you guys, but Gen 4 in particular added in one of my favorite past evolution's, that being Gliscor, a once frail yet interesting Pokemon, now made better with a proper evolution, as well as in later gens getting a unique hidden ability. Personally, aside from the Eevee line, I hope other Pokemon get new, proper evolution's that help them become more viable for fans to use, or add in Baby Pokemon that help set up a unique lore for them. I personally would like to see them give a Baby Pokemon form for Miltank and Touros (Like Tyrogue for the Hitmon's), and evolution's for Chatot, Darmanitan (up for debate though as I have friend who disagree b/c of it's Zen Mode and its good stats), and Palpitoad (a split evolution like Poliwhirl to help give it a final form with some better stats, and would love to see it as a Poison type).

In all, what Pokemon would you guys like to see get a Baby Pokemon or a proper new Evolution to its set? Anyways, happy Wednesday everyone, and Cheers!

-Make beta Tangrowth a mega.
-Release baby Meowth because it was too damn cute.
-Make Madam canon, or at least give Farfetch'd an evolution. I know it is a joke character, but c'mon.
-Like you said, a Pokémon that connects Tauros and Miltank.
-Retcon the fact that Luvdisc and Alomomola are not related.
-Give Basculin an evolution.
-Canonize baby Kangaskhan.
-Give Lapras a pre-evolution.
-Give Qwilfish a new evolution. I mean, seriously, why did they remove its beta evolution?
-Make beta Girafarig a regional forme. I seriously liked how creepy it was.

That's all I can think right now.

There is one major change I'd love to see: Make the default in-game trainer battles Double Battles, while keeping wild battles singles.

This would freshen up the series quite a lot, all without adding 'gimmicks', and utilize the updated graphics even more. It would also encourage them to add more moves and depth designed for doubles, and make using those moves more satisfying in-game. Their official tournaments are doubles, too, so making doubles default would help to align them to the game's experience.

For many, this would be unpopular, but it would allow actual progress to the stale battle system should they chose to add on to it.

February 6 is here and...

I think we’re deff getting a new mechanic. Pretty much like Paul said, we get new mechanics each gen because it’s new and shiny and perfect when you need that excitement to last throughout a gen (especially on launch). Bringing back an older one wouldn’t quite reach the same level of hype to the wider audience. That being said, I still don’t want regional variants and megas to be forgotten as I like both and they are healthy for the franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom