• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned before, not having voice allows players to imagine the personality of the characters. This creates a more classic and creative roleplay experience. I don't mind either way, as long as there is option to turn the voices on or off and to select the original Japanese voices. I always like to hear the voice actors that were chosen by the creators themselves.

Hey guys,i know this is off topic.Do gamefreak always recruit new employees every year or is there a gap on it?

With the voice acting topic.It would be awesome if they add it,In that way the cutscene will be more important and no fingers will hurt because of smashing the A button.However like the others mentioned it would hard for the game to call our names,though Nicknames could work

I'd like voice acting. If you're always there, there's not much reason to call you by name anyway. I agree that FFX did it well enough that it wasn't too jarring.

I feel like voice acting would make it feel more like a modern console game. I can't help but feel a bit pulled out of the experience when I'm watching cutscenes where the characters mouths are moving but there's no noise. Even if they start with just giggles or something

I'm mixed in regards to the idea of voice acting in Pokemon.

When it comes to anime, I would imagine the differences in voices as far as sub/dub goes would make or break the experience for the viewer. I can imagine it being a similar way in the games. I don't know if Game Freak would provide an option to change to Japanese voices if people are tired of hearing the English ones.

I'm indifferent to voice acting. I don't think whether it's in or not would have a huge impact on the game, though it may just look better to have for overall presentation. If gamefreak wants it in, I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work

Hey guys,i know this is off topic.Do gamefreak always recruit new employees every year or is there a gap on it?

With the voice acting topic.It would be awesome if they add it,In that way the cutscene will be more important and no fingers will hurt because of smashing the A button.However like the others mentioned it would hard for the game to call our names,though Nicknames could work
Yeah, according to James, they're pretty much always hiring.

There’s always the possiblity that I may end up hating the dubbed voices (not to mention the accents...)

It would be awesome if they add it,In that way the cutscene will be more important and no fingers will hurt because of smashing the A button.
I don’t see how will it solve the issue. The people pressing A just want the dialogue to end asap. Making it voice acted will just make the process slower (and hurt even more fingers).

I think adding voice acting would be cool. I dont see it happening, but it sounds cool. I would like to see the option in it like BOTW had where u could switch the language you were hearing for the voice acting.

I think it would enhance the cutscenes a lot, and add more depth to the experience.

I don’t see how will it solve the issue. The people pressing A just want the dialogue to end asap. Making it voice acted will just make the process slower (and hurt even more fingers).
After the complaints from Sun and Moon, and how most cutscenes in Nintendo Games have been skippable. I can imagine they would have a button that you can click to simply skip the cutscene.

Imagine a big cut scene that finally has the player character emoting and the voice of the villain just cuts out when they curse your name? Not going to go over very well and also very jarring considering the bad guy is yelling in the text but suddenly stops or says something completely different than is written.
I don't think that's very likely to be an issue-I had a look through past villains, and they really don't address the player by name very often.
  • Giovanni has two lines that mention the player by name, "we meet again" and "remember that all Pokemon are for Team Rocket".
  • Archie and Maxie use it a lot in RS, but just as a quick addressing them. (Player, look out for Team Magma/Aqua! Player, get out of here!) They actually do use it significantly in ORAS, but only once, because the significance is that they stopped using their nickname for the player.
  • Cyrus says it once in all of his appearances. (Now, <player>. You've constantly interfered with my plans, but you will be forgiven. ) I think switching it out for "you" works just fine here.
  • Ghetsis says it three times. ( <Player>, you were chosen by our king. <Player>! I never would have thought the legendary Pokémon would choose a Trainer like you! <Player>, so what if it chose you! That doesn't mean you're a threat. ) IMO, two of those could easily be taken out. And Ghetsis often refers to the player as Holder of the Dark/Light Stone, too, which has way less variables.
  • Lysandre says it three times-once just saying hello, once in a missable line (if the player chose the blue button), and once in his final threat. (which is significant, but he addresses the friends as Sycamore's pupils, which also includes the player, so...)
  • Lusamine does address the player frequently-six times in SuMo, and an added three more in USUM.
It makes sense that they'd do this-as much as people enjoy customizable options for characters, a significant line is usually something that writers want to be a shared experience, or something that you can quote with another fan. A big line where you have to put <Player> in to share it with someone is harder to share.

Of course, this is just examining the practicality of things. I dunno how I'd feel about voice acting myself (I'm kinda concerned about it covering up big music?), but I think it could be a good addition, provided players were given an option. (which usually happens, games have a volume setting that specifies between SFX and BGM-but this is Game Freak, who made the Key System for difficulty settings...)

I think no voice acting is the best.

Otherwise, we'll have one half of the fandom complaining why the protagonist sounds the way they do, and the half of the other half is annoyed about the cutscenes taking longer now.

Otherwise, we'll have one half of the fandom complaining why the protagonist sounds the way they do, and the half of the other half is annoyed about the cutscenes taking longer now.
Considering how long they make you sit through a speech bubble, I don't think there would be a notable difference.

Also, I frankly don't want to see what the Pokemon equivalent of "HATE NEWSPAPERS" would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom