• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure the Alola MCs are confirmed to be 11.

I don't believe so, there is an age limit for the trial captains mentioned, think its 11-19, but don't recall anyone specifically saying you are 11, they do mention you are old enough now to start the island challenge, but it doesn't say starting the island challenge and being a trial captain start at the same age. Could be wrong however, not certain.

The ages of the MC's are never stated in game. And yeah it's a fair point that having the Mum breaks the immersion for those who for whatever reason don't live with a Mum, children of same sex couples also come to mind in addition to the examples you highlighted. But just because you can't have perfect immersion for everyone is not a reason to break with immersion entirely. I do struggle to understand why so many people today have to deal in absolutes. It's either perfect, or shouldn't be done at all etc.

The fact that the MC’s age isn’t referenced doesn’t matter much, as the MC is clear pre-teen. All of teenagers or more players are definitely above in terms of age.

I do agree that the situation isn’t black and white, even if I don’t personally think that it’s immersion-breaking having a sibling, and that a semblance should be maintained. But the point is, having a sibling isn’t more immersion-breaking then having only a mother and no father around. There’s no way to know which one might be more immersion breaking, so either works fine.

If someone propose to have both parents and no siblings to theorically have the less chances of people being immersion-broken, that’s fine (and one of my proposal was this configuration), but if the choice isn’t between the traditional MC’s family in Pokémon or adding a sibling, the choices are on the sam level in regards of immersion.

Actually yes. During the summers I literally see the phenomenon similar to Masuda’s SM pic almost every day.

Plus, the weights and heights are almost totally random on Pokemon go,

I hope if there are any siblings involved they pick a path totally different from the MC (contests or clicking pictures or something). Due to mostly bitter interactions with my own sibling I don’t want to manifest sibling rivalry in my games...
I was thinking more along the lines of the friendly rivals who you occasionally have a battle with but they are in no way competition for Champion- I think Barry, Bianca and Shauna/Trevor/Tierno would be the right examples?

The ages of the MC's are never stated in game. And yeah it's a fair point that having the Mum breaks the immersion for those who for whatever reason don't live with a Mum, children of same sex couples also come to mind in addition to the examples you highlighted. But just because you can't have perfect immersion for everyone is not a reason to break with immersion entirely. I do struggle to understand why so many people today have to deal in absolutes. It's either perfect, or shouldn't be done at all etc.
I struggle to understand why only having a mother present is the only option for maintaining immersion when only having a father present would also be just as valid.

Personally, being friends with Hau totally breaks the immersion for me. I would punch that kid.

I don't believe so, there is an age limit for the trial captains mentioned, think its 11-19, but don't recall anyone specifically saying you are 11, they do mention you are old enough now to start the island challenge, but it doesn't say starting the island challenge and being a trial captain start at the same age. Could be wrong however, not certain.

Bulbapedia lists Elio as 11.

At least the 11 year old thing is better than the assumption that every Pokemon protagonist is 10, which by the way, none of them were stated to be 10, in fact the Gen 5 and Gen 6 protagonists are at least teenagers due to their overall look and height.

I think it was mentioned somewhere that you have to be atleast 11 to face the island challenge.

Trial captains have to be 11-19 they retire at 20.
The player is now old enough to start their island challenge, but it doesn't say specifically what that age is as far as I'm aware, although the obvious guess is again 11, but it doesn't say outright I think.

At least the 11 year old thing is better than the assumption that every Pokemon protagonist is 10, which by the way, none of them were stated to be 10, in fact the Gen 5 and Gen 6 protagonists are at least teenagers due to their overall look and height.
Yeah. The theory that every Pokemon protagonist is 10 is a myth brought on by the anime.

There ages are stated in other media, but never actually in game. Think the Gen 5 cohort were 15 or something, but again not actually mentioned in game.

This debate seems really pedantic to me, but the games do specify that the Alola protagonists are 11. When you first arrive at Aether Paradise, Wicke looks at you and Hau and says, "You two are both trial-goers; I suppose you must be around 11?" and your options are "Yes, I am" and "How'd you know?". I remember that because I did find it kind of unusually immersion-breaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom