• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the graphics of Let's Go, the not overly chibified art of Gen VII (but in higher quality.)
Let's go is not a visually appealing game imo. Every other AAA switch game looks much better. Compare DQ11 and Mario Odessy to let's go and you'll see what I mean. I think gen 8 will look nothing like let's go, especially if they are targeting long time fans like ishihara said.

Let's go is not a visually appealing game imo. Every other AAA switch game looks much better. Compare DQ11 and Mario Odessy to let's go and you'll see what I mean. I think gen 8 will look nothing like let's go, especially if they are targeting long time fans like ishihara said.

Im still doubting Gen 8 will look good visually. Gamefreak have historically always struggled with realism in their games when compared to the average JRPG especially in terms of world design, they are very very far behind. But you never know of course.

Frost and Flame could work, maybe?

Just had a really cool idea for this. The legendaries could be the first dual same type. Aka Fire/Fire and Ice/Ice
They would be the embodiment of the hottest flames, and the coldest frosts.

The mechanics would work with them basically getting a double STAB. So rather than a 50% boost for Fire/Ice moves they get a 100% boost (one for each individual fire or ice type)
However the drawback is each type would then have 4x weaknesses. So the Fire/Fire legend would be 4x weak to Water/Rock/Ground etc and the Ice/Ice legend would be 4x weak against Rock, steel, fire etc.

Im still doubting Gen 8 will look good visually. Gamefreak have historically always struggled with realism in their games when compared to the average JRPG especially in terms of world design, they are very very far behind. But you never know of course.
I still have hope that it will look good because of ishihara saying that it will have better graphics than any previous pokemon game (A title the arcade game gaole currently holds).
Quote:"“As a result, that makes it an extremely important platform. Right now we’re using 7 to 8 inch screens, but on a high-definition TV you can express a whole different world with graphics and sound."

While this should be the case anyways, ishihara has never said this before for any other pokemon game

I don't know, dual type of the same type would just not make sense to me. I always felt that dual types were to express that a pokemon fit multiple types, not an extreme version of the same one.

It would only be 2 legends, well you could have a 3rd to make a trio, a Rock/Rock, super effective against both, or more likely Electric/Electric (neutral to both).
Imagine Electric/Electric with Levitate ;) :p

I don't know, dual type of the same type would just not make sense to me. I always felt that dual types were to express a pokemon fit multiple types, not an extreme version of the same one.
It would also look pretty stupid, to be honest. XD Not to mention royally unbalance type matchups.

Just had a really cool idea for this. The legendaries could be the first dual same type. Aka Fire/Fire and Ice/Ice
They would be the embodiment of the hottest flames, and the coldest frosts.

The mechanics would work with them basically getting a double STAB. So rather than a 50% boost for Fire/Ice moves they get a 100% boost (one for each individual fire or ice type)
However the drawback is each type would then have 4x weaknesses. So the Fire/Fire legend would be 4x weak to Water/Rock/Ground etc and the Ice/Ice legend would be 4x weak against Rock, steel, fire etc.
There's a problem, and it is how the games are programmed. If you look at the internal data of Pokémon games, you would see that all Pokémon have two types. For example, Glalie is already Ice/Ice, Nosepass is already Rock/Rock, etc. Putting the same type twice only results in the Pokémon being only one type. Sorry.

I still have hope that it will look good because of ishihara saying that it will have better graphics than any previous pokemon game (A title the arcade game gaole currently holds).
Quote:"“As a result, that makes it an extremely important platform. Right now we’re using 7 to 8 inch screens, but on a high-definition TV you can express a whole different world with graphics and sound."

While this should be the case anyways, ishihara has never said this before for any other pokemon game

Well Town is the most visually realistic game Gamefreak has ever done, so if we have something that looks like that or better, than Gen 8 will be a masterpiece.

There's a problem, and it is how the games are programmed. If you look at the internal data of Pokémon games, you would see that all Pokémon have two types. For example, Glalie is already Ice/Ice, Nosepass is already Rock/Rock, etc. Putting the same type twice only results in the Pokémon being only one type. Sorry.

I'm sure it's not beyond the skill of GameFreak to code it differently. Remember the ??? type

Oh true, that's why Forest's Curse doesn't work on Grass types and ditto for Trick-or-Treat on Ghosts.

I'm sure it's not beyond the skill of GameFreak to code it differently. Remember the ??? type
??? type didn't work any differently, it just had no weaknesses or resistances and dealt neutral damage.

Why not? They've already done super moves and super stat boosts, why not super types? And it'd be limited to the box legends.
Trying to tell the code to ignore its basic function of not factoring the same type twice for just two pokemon would probably be more of a pain in the ass than it sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom