• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would really like some more speceis variented Pokemon. I know the big route they can do with this is with regional variants of old Pokemon, but I would like to see something with a couple of the new Pokemon too.

I was on Pinterest and I found this pin.

I know Pokemon would never do something so small like this, at least not in a main series game. But it would be something really cool.

I'm talking more about seeing Pokemon like Spinda who have different patterns and Shellos who has a different form depending on weather they are found in by the East or West.

Weather and Season changing/forms for speceis variation would be highly appreciated to.

Like I said though, if we continue to get regional variants, which I really really hope we do, I dont think we could be getting many, if any at all, new genetically variented Pokemon in the future.

Last edited:
I'd like that, but Alolan Raichu unfortunately complicates matters.

Alolan raichu has an exclusive Z-Move so the Kanto Raichu can have an exclusive Mega Evolution.

what are you talking about? gorachu looks meh at best.
pichu is one of the cutest pokemon.

That’s a fanart though, and Pichu looks better in artwork than those older sprites. Gorochu would be more presentable if it actually had some official scrapped artwork beyond a back Sprite which was first mistaken for a walrus.

Okay, first off, Pichu is perfect

I don't care about mythical status since it does more harm than good. Melmetal is ridiculously hard to obtain, while Meltan is just a small hurdle for non-Go players.

Out of the Red/Green prototypes, I like the Kotora line, Crocky, Deer and proto Scyther. I think that the yeti, sumo frogs and water dragons would appeal to me if I saw their front sprites. Out of the Spaceworld ones (italicized are my favorites), I like the unused starters, proto Noctowl, Jaranra, Shibirefugu, Ikari, Para, proto Ariados, Animon, proto Giarafarig, Rinrin line, proto Octillery, proto Hitmontop, Bombushika, Madame, Norowara line, Plucks, Wolfman line and Nameeru (compared to Lickilicky).

Actually, most of those are the ones that I would bring back, too.

I feel like having it be a Mythical is appropriate, at least within the context of the decision to add only one new Pokémon (line) as LGPE's exclusive. Having "the new special Pokémon" be the equivalent of, like, Politoed or Primeape or something would feel odd to me. But then, I seem to recall you suggesting that a larger amount of new Pokémon should have been added in LGPE - and if that option were on the table, then I do think a beta salvage job would be more fitting. (Although, such a thing would almost certainly revolve more around designs like Crocky and Gorochu rather than Wolfman and Rinrin, yeah? Since the latter are more connected to Gold & Silver than Red & Green.)

Because it has a literal nut for a head (even has the groove lines inside it) and a wire for a tail and is based on way too many modern elements. I really do love Meltan, but calling it ancient just feels like a joke.

I guess I just don't have as much of a problem with that. To me, the idea that Pokémon with modern elements only come into being contemporaneously with human-side development of comparable technology or concepts just feels kinda cliché and predictable. Personally, I find it more interesting to think about Pokémon like Magnemite or Gothitelle (being patterned after a relatively modern fashion style, to give a non-technological example) existing in the distant past anyway. I like the idea that Pokémon move at their own pace, perhaps a bit quicker than humans. I think it adds to their mystery - but that's just me. (I also like to try to interpret features like Meltan's head in biological terms - so for me, it's not really "It has a literal nut as a head" so much as it is, "I wonder why the Meltan species would develop a metal skull in a hexagonal shape?")

Last edited:
Some ideas I had for names, (on the assumption that England is the region)

Bound and Free
(Because the Switch can be docked in place or played outside freely!)
Future and Past
(These are two big ones that havent been used yet, and fit England)
Myth and Legend
(These are two big ones that havent been used yet, and fit England)
Magic and Might
(Gives them an old school medieval theme)
Summer and Winter
(Again, 2 big unused ones)
Infinity and Eternity
(A lot of people guess this for DP remakes, but no one would be able to guess heart/soul or alpha/omega for GS and RS, so I dont think those will be as predictable)
Rose and Thorn
(I think Englands national flower is the rose)
Exalted and Royal
(If Kalos is postgame, these could tie into it by giving both names an "X" and "Y")
Horizon and Zenith
(If Kalos is postgame, these could tie into it by giving both names a "Z")
Ace and Spade
(Give it a card theme)
Knight and Jester
(Fits England)
Sword and Shield
(fits England)
Fortune and Glory
(gives it an adventure theme)

That has already been discussed here before (not about Paul's video, but about Weedle's pic).

Some people think it's a hint, others (like me) do not. My opinion is that, as has already been said, Masuda hint things, but in a natural way and that can be easily detected, not as complex or obscure.

That has already been discussed here before (not about Paul's video, but about Weedle's pic).

Some people think it's a hint, others (like me) do not. My opinion is that, as has already been said, Masuda hint things, but in a natural way and that can be easily detected, not as complex or obscure.

Cheers, I wasnt sure what this was referring to, the post felt obscure. Didnt know the weedle pic fiasco was still going on lol

Ok so not that I do or do not believe that the Weedle tweet is a hint, but not matter how I look at it, something is weird about it...

Frankly, why is the lower half of the picture blurred out? I am pretty sure that is something someone would have to intentionally go out of their way to do... and if someone were to blur stuff out, why only do half and not all of it?

So, at the very least, we know some work/detail/care was put into the image and the tweet itself... I guess the question is why.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons that don't involve any hints or rumors but hey, this is speculation thread. If all they wanted to show people was Weedle, then why not blurr out all the numbers/crop the photo? Why is it important to tweet out about a Pokemon like Weedle at all? He also claims it was his first time catching Weedle for a long time, but he has over 200 Weedle candy...

I'm not convinced it is a hint, but I do think it is all a bit odd.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190219-032419_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20190219-032419_Twitter.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Speaking of modern and ancient Pokemon... I do like the idea of the humans being inspired by the Pokemon instead of Pokemon being strictly affected by said humans.

Maybe someone saw Gothitelle and thought “I could totally turn that into a new fashion style!” or maybe someone was working on the modern look of the Pokeball and was inspired by Voltrob. Vanillish could have inspired someone to make the first ever ice cream cone because they wanted to invent some new dessert/snack to sell.

There are a lot of fun ideas to be had with this concept. I think even Meltan can work as an ancient Pokemon if it receives a proper backstory. I’m not sure what exactly is the lore surrounding it. I’m not particularly interested in it so I didn’t pay a lot of attention.

Last edited:
Maybe someone saw Gothitelle and thought “I could totally turn that into a new fashion style!” or maybe someone was working on the modern look of the Pokeball and was inspired by Voltrob. Vanillish ccould have inspired someone to make the first ever ice cream cone because they wanted to invent some new dessert/snack to sell.
In the case of Voltorb, the implication is that it was created after the Poké Balls and that they were not natural, judging by a certain dex entry:

Silver Dex Entry said:
It was discovered when Poké Balls were introduced. It is said that there is some connection.

I think Foongus and Amoonguss were the actual inspiration for the Poké Balls.

Anyone else think that February is flying by while January legitimately felt like it had 62 days this year? I mean we only have 9 days left of the month.

If the months keep accelerating like this, before we know it, gen 8 will be released lol. That can only be a good thing for our news starved fandom (myself included).

Future and Past feels like it would work well with Japan. Past could be people still believing in the old traditions. While Future could be the rise of technology which results in people forgetting about traditions and embracing the era of technology.

Future and Past feels like it would work well with Japan. Past could be people still believing in the old traditions. While Future could be the rise of technology which results in people forgetting about traditions and embracing the era of technology.

I feel like if they were going to do a future/past pair, they’d be better off doing a game with time travel.

Maybe this time, instead of having moved from a different region, you’d have fallen through an Ultra Wormhole either into or from the future/past. It’d be a good way to introduce things like proto-genesect, or the original dragon. Though, I suppose that’s better left for gen 10 and its Unova remakes.

The PMD explorers games explored time travel well, I’m hoping for something like that for Past

Anyone else think that February is flying by while January legitimately felt like it had 62 days this year? I mean we only have 9 days left of the month.

I think getting that Nintendo Direct this month helped a lot, because now we know a Pokemon one is not far off anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom