• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, that's absolutely possible too.

But even within that, we've kinda got to define "benefit"

The fans who dislike the current direction of the series would be predisposed to thinking that what would "benefit" the series is an immediate course-correction away from the design choices of the 3DS games and Let's Go, but I don't think Game Freak have much of a reason to see it that way considering how well the games have been performing for the last several years. Not that success is a license to ignore criticism, of course, and I don't suspect Game Freak would feel that way because they've taken criticism under advisement before (DP sold fantastically, but because Mt. Coronet was hell, every region since has been impossible to get lost in), but how prevailing is "our" opinion really? What I'm really getting at is that "someone with a new vision," such as there may be one, may very well not be the wishlist genie that people who, say, didn't like XY or SM hope it to be, but that I don't find that to be particularly cynical because I don't think we have a clear enough view of GF's sales research data to say whether or not the observations that have been animating their decisions are unfounded or "out of touch." At any rate, to Masuda, "someone with a fresh new set of ideas to benefit the franchise" could be like, someone with unique ideas for how to do things in a way they haven't really done before (like just as a loose example, trying a more story-driven approach to the games like what we saw in SM, and trying out a new kind of progression system with the trials, and playing with a risky concept like the UBs) as opposed to someone who happens to believe in the Bulbagarden and /vp/ principle of "It should go back to how it was in Gen 4."
Honestly, as long as they move away from the mobile mindset of cutting content and making games intentionally short because "people don't have time to play" then that in itself is already enough benefit. We don't really need anything radical, just someone who wants to make a game that isn't meant to be rushed through and tossed aside at warp speed. The extra content that would come of that might not be to everyone's tastes, but better to try than to not try at all.

This popped up. Not sure what it's supposed to be.
That honestly looks pretty rad, but it also doesn't look anything like a Pokemon game, and the stylization of the creature is a weird contrast to the realism of the human next to it. (And the human's perspective is weird-it looks like they're supposed to be looking at the creature, but they'd actually be looking past it with this angle) I think the creature's taken from something else, and the human's just inserted to pretend it's a trainer.

I don't think that Kanto will be in these games, especially considering that we just revisited the region last year in LGPE.

Aha, but this is exactly what they WANT you to think. In truth they already have so many nostalgic adventures with kanto awaiting us in gen 8, so we can once again experience the nostalgia of the same 151 boring plain as fuck bland pokemon

(This is a joke post.)

I don't think that they would use the Red and Green titles for a game that isn't set in Kanto. It's fake. Here's the leak itself, if you want to know what it says:

It’s been awhile since we’ve had a proper rumor post, but with Generation VIII’s release drawing ever closer it seems like a good time to examine one and see how everyone feels about it. A poster going by PokémonFan on 4chan has posted information about what are supposedly the next titles in the Pokémon franchise. As always, treat rumors as false until we get official confirmation.

They claim that the next games will be called Pokémon KINGDOM: Red and Pokémon KINGDOM: Greenand the names aren’t the only throwback to the first Pokémon games. Throughout the thread they have used original beta artwork to illustrate the merging of original ideas with a vast, semi-open world to explore. A virtual world whose size will awe fans.

This is a big new change. You still have a team of 6 Pokémon to battle, but you have direct access to every Pokémon that you own in the new “box system”. Pokémon are very useful in this game, you can do many things with them. This is a key part of exploring. Regarding the comments about Kanto, it is part of the map, but its so much bigger. It takes a while to explore the whole mountain tunnel, it feels like a real mountain

View attachment 116042

The poster also claims that the rate of experience and how your Pokémon level has also been adjusted–where you are in the adventure and how long you’ve played will factor into how fast they grow. It may seem slower than before, but apparently makes sense for the new game.

They also hinted that Eevee may be getting a Dragon-type evolution as well.

I actually like the idea of a new evolution system that doesn't involve levels. There are of course lots of Pokemon that have early evolution stages that people prefer, especially with starters.

When you think about it, you don't really spend a lot of time with the first evolution of your starter anyway. I don't know about a lot of people, but I always felt that Lvl. 16/18 was really easy/quick to reach. And that's fine. But I normally evolve my starter Pokemon around the 1st/2nd gym. So it's actually kinda sad when you think about all the people that prefer first evolutions e.g. Squirtle and Rowlet but only spend like 5 hours with them and then end up spending most of their gameplay with other stages like Dartrix and Incineroar.

I don't believe this rumour, but I do think it's interesting. A special system where your Pokemon evolves depending on their activity and battles, and not by a defined level, would really bring a surprise to your face when you see your Pokemon evolve, either in the overworld or in battle.

Unfortunately, I don't really know how that would work though. But I guess anything's possible.

all the people that prefer first evolutions e.g. Squirtle and Rowlet but only spend like 5 hours with them and then end up spending most of their gameplay with other stages like Dartrix and Incineroar.

If they liked the stages enough they’d use an everstone anyway.
A late evolution wouldn’t solve matters.

But then they would miss important move's that they would learn with the next evolution. And they would retain weaker stats. Obviously if a different evolution system existed, they would have all this set in stone and help the weaker stats e.g. add more trainers at lower levels to balance it out.

I also don't really like the idea that they would spend such a huge amount of time/days/weeks/months with lots of Pokemon designers perfecting a specific evolution stage of a Pokemon, preparing a lot of time to carefully select what is the most appropriate type, move-sets, and abilities, and then you just only use them for like 2 hours of your gameplay...

I love Charizard, but that doesn't mean I want to spend only "five minutes" (not literal) with Charmander. I would love it if all stages were just a bit more evenly distributed at least.

Last edited:
For some dumb reason you believe everything's that ""bad"" on Pokémon it's because of Masuda, even if he doesn't direct games anymore.
Is not like he's Pokémon visible face and PR speaker (sometimes awfully, tho). If other person were the one to speak I bet 100 dollars you would be done with him as well.
Didn't realise Game Freak is now a Masuda-only dictatorship, sorry.

I don't know, this "I hate this individual" thing is getting kinda annoying in the fandom at this point.

Sorry if this came out as rude but believing a Game Producer, even when it is Masuda, is the one to blame about everything you determine as "wrong" in a videogame is embarrassing.

For some dumb reason you believe everything's that ""bad"" on Pokémon it's because of Masuda, even if he doesn't direct games anymore.
Is not like he's Pokémon visible face and PR speaker (sometimes awfully, tho). If other person were the one to speak I bet 100 dollars you would be done with him as well.

I don't know, this "I hate this individual" thing is getting kinda annoying in the fandom at this point.

Sorry if this came out as rude but believing a Game Producer, even when it is Masuda, is the one to blame about everything you determine as "wrong" in a videogame is embarrasing.
Who is this directed towards o.o

Is it me or people are really sick of the fake leak season, and we have absolutely nothing right now?
I also agree the Kingdom Red and Green are fake, because we just have LGPE last year, why rubbing the salt of wound by releasing another kanto pandering game.
Yeah. It's too much Kanto for two years. Give it a break.

Sorry if this came out as rude but believing a Game Producer, even when it is Masuda, is the one to blame about everything you determine as "wrong" in a videogame is embarrassing.
Reminds of the time people misblamed Superbot for the fact that they included reboot Dante and Raiden in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale when the people that were actually at fault were Capcom (Superbot asked for original Dante first, IIRC) and Hideo Kojima (can't remember his reasons).

They also got blamed for having two Coles in the game, but that was Sucker Punch.

this is definitely the worst pre-announcement period I've experienced in the 6 years I've been keeping up with pre-announcement/release hype.

Even this time last year was more interesting and we didn't even know if a game was releasing that year or not. I guess things will be different once something actually tangible leaks or something is announced. Its wild but understandable that pokemon day is a few days away yet there's not much excitement for it. I guess people are reluctant to get fully excited since there's always a huge possibility that we get nothing.

Hopefully Monday comes and we have a better idea of what to expect for pokemon day

I also agree the Kingdom Red and Green are fake, because we just have LGPE last year, why rubbing the salt of wound by releasing another kanto pandering game.

I wouldn't necessarily equate including Kanto in an expansive map to Kanto pandering. The rumor claims that Kanto is part of the map, but also says you start in a region based on the Chubu region of Japan. The Red and Green titles are referential certainly, but to me would more indicate a reboot feel. Kind of like saying this is pokemon like you've never seen it before and this is only the beginning.

Personally, I think this is the most interesting rumor that's popped up since the games were first confirmed to be in production. I do wish the creator of this rumor had included more details to speculate on, but staying vague makes the rumor more believable. If the details are poorly thought through, it's a little too obvious and easily dismissed.

Yeah. This is essentially forcing players to spend more time with their starter's base stage. Not everyone wants to do this.
What about changing the level evolution stages of starter Pokemon?

I always felt that the mid-30 stage was a bit too low for a third evolution considering there's another 70 levels they can reach. It makes you spend like 20% with your first evolution, 30% with the second, and then like 50% with the third. However, at the same time, it depends on how they distribute EXP in the game. I guess it kinda already works how it currently is with the amount of trainers they do add in the games.

But to be honest I like Salamance's evolution level distribution: level 30 and then level 50. I think it could work for replacing the level evolution stages of starter Pokemon. Why not reach the final stage at the half point of 100 (y)

I found real leak guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom