• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They already did aggggges ago iirc.
No? Insurgence is definitely still up and running. (Besides, similar features don't get games taken down-there were games titled SolarLight and LunarDark with a Pokemon called Poipol at the time of SuMo's release, and they didn't go down. It's just about how much attention they get)

Besides "boxes with a glorified exterior" have always existed. Just look at Gen II Goldenrod.

Uhh... of course the Game Boy Color would have to have an impressionist overworld. It's worlds weaker than the Switch.

It's times like SM's hotels being glorified boxes when XY had the Hotel Richissime just one generation prior that it becomes weird.

Last edited:
Revisiting the Sword and Shield rumor that popped up way back
when, for obvious reasons. I will spoiler tag:

-Games are known as Pokemon Sword (Pocket Monsters Ken) and Pokemon Shield(Pocket Monsters Tate.)

-Region is based on England (specifically London)

-120 new Pokemon

-Announcement trailer on 2/12/19

Trailer date aside, they were obviously correct. I could definitely see them doing 120 Pokemon this gen. New hardware, more space, etc.
That would be the best thing ever!!!

• I love the artstyle. At fist I was a little weirded out, since it was so different from the other gens. But seeing it in action, I fell in love with it.
  • Gyms are back. Nice. I was hoping for something more unique, but Gyms are still. Though I hope they're not as boring as they used to be in Gens I-III and VI. Please pull a Gen V and make the Gym Leaders fleshed out, with interesting puzzles.
  • "Galar" is an ugly name, and it looks pretty small. LOL at them calling it "expansive," but I hope they're right. Looks can be deceiving, after all; what looks like a huge city might actually be a glorified hallway.
  • I hate how it's a straight line, but what can you do? Hopefully the gameplay won't be a straight line. I know we can't count on full open world, but some non-linearty would be refreshing.
  • Sad that the snow locations are all the way in the endgame AGAIN.
  • But it's a beautiful region. I really like how it's a mix of contemporary cities and beautiful, diverse landscapes. We even have some cute villages. It's like Kalos done right. I'd prefer a more urban region like Unova, but I really like the cozy feel of Galar.
  • They better have lore up the ass with this region. Lore and culture are what made Alola so fun. I'd love for them to go all mystical and shit, with a lot of supernatural themes and fairy tales.
  • I hope we get little Cockney-accented chimney sweep street urchins. I want to beat up some orphans, that was something I liked about Kalos.
  • So we're playing soccer? Eh. But I'd be fine with that as a mini-game, if it's fleshed out and keep me playing. Mantine Surf was fun, but it got old and repetitive, quick. Hopefully it involves our Pokemon in some way.
  • So no walking Pokemon? C'mon, Game Freak. We know you have the models, we know the technology can handle it. Either it's an optional feature, or they'e gonna save it for the inevitable third version games, because they know their fans will buy their shit no matter how little the effort they put in.
  • Grookey is an absolute babu.
  • Scorbunny is okay. The proportions feel weird, it looks a little too gangly and Treecko-like, but it's good otherwise.
  • Sobble is also a babu. Tough choosing between it and Grookey, but I'm leading towards Sobble.
  • Though I guess my choice would ultimately depend on their final evos; you never know when a good design will be ruined by a bad evo. (Looking at you, Fennekn, Floette, Honedge, Swirlix, Bergmite, Crabrawler, Rockruff, Mareanie and Morelull. Fuck you, collectively.)
  • Overall, a good batch of starters. This is the first time since Gen IV that I liked all of the base starters.
  • The Japanese logos are ugly. But the weird PokeBalls in the logo make me suspicious. Hopefully they're just stylistic, and not hinting at yet another interesting, but half-baked gimmick that Game Freak will fail to fully utilize before abandoning it.

These games look great, I can't wait to be disappointed again.

I didn't even notice the backpack sizes but that doesn't matter to me.

I'm de definitely going with Grookey and Scorbunny. A tad disappointed in Sobble, but it's cute and will join me on my first playthrough anyways.

Loving how Galar looks. It really does feel like a BotW tier game. The buildings are beautiful. Hopefully they are expansive inside as they appear to be on the outside.

Very excited to see customization options and the rest of the Pokemon in the region. There should be a lot!

Grookey I think will be Fighting, Scorbunny Electric and Sobble Poison.

Wouldn't surprise me if Insurgence gets shut down eventually. Heck, if they can shut down Pixelmon, then Insurgence definitely isn't safe.
Wait, they shut down Pixelmon? Not sure if I should feel relieved because I always saw it as a Pokémon rip-off (the newspapers didn't show anything different from Pokémon) or sad because it came from my own country.

Super excited, except I don't see any volcano or desert. I know it's London. But still...

I keep watching the gameplay over and over again. For those of us still holding hope for following Pokemon and/or Overworld Encounters, it does say that Gameplay Footage is not final at the beginning when you catch a glimpse at Route 1. It very well might be just for the presentation of the little areas, before it fades away, but when they showed off the starters it explicitly stated this is not real gameplay footage. Because of this, I think we still have a chance of getting both things, or at least following Pokemon (after all, the animations for everything up through Sun and Moon are done), they might just be saving it for a later trailer.

Also I still think these games visuals are absolutely stunning. Every game, every new gen Pokemon makes the graphics improve, yet they still feel like a Pokemon game. Like I don't look at it and think "this isn't Pokemon". The moment I see what's new I know that this is Pokemon! The colors they use are so vibrant and beautiful. And yes I was getting a lot of Kalos vibes, and that's not a bad thing, because that region was absolutely stunning too.

Wait, they shut down Pixelmon? Not sure if I should feel relieved because I always saw it as a Pokémon rip-off (the newspapers didn't show anything different from Pokémon) or sad because it came from my own country.
Honestly, I consider Pixelmon one of the better fan-made creations since they make some requirements of getting some Pokemon different enough.

well, I think Scorbunny will be a Fire/Fighting type

#TeamScorbunny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom