• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
I like all three so far, with Scorbunny being my favorite. I'm very cautiously optimistic about it, though, because I really feel like it'll be a repeat of Litten/Incineroar for me. I loved Litten at it's reveal and wanted to choose it, but hated Incineroar and switched my choice to Popplio / Primarina in the end. (No offense at all to anyone who loved it.) Primarina did end up growing into my favorite starter of all time though, so it wasn't a loss, and I did develop a small soft spot for Incineroar after Gen 7 was over/once I saw it's animations in Smash Ultimate.

I love rabbits so much, but I took sharp note of the fact that Scorbunny has bandages on it, and has "score" in it's name, like football/soccer, which is a sport, which is associated with Fighting types in the Pokemon world. They have put a flashing neon sign over it that says "I WILL BECOME FIGHTING/HAVE AN AWKWARD MANLY MAN BODY AT FINAL STAGE". I hope they handle it's final form with some finesse and flair, and don't basically photoshop a rabbit's head onto a jacked, thick legged soccer player's body.

Sobble is my next pick if they do, though, and I love him to death, as well. Whether or not I pick him, I will get a plush of him.

I just really wish they'd get away from this whole "Fire starter must be basically a guy with an animal's head" thing. Typhlosion is my favorite Fire starter, and the only one I've ever chosen. I liked the designs for it, Charizard, and even the nice mercy gen we got with Delphox. Even the individual Fire/Fighting starters have their own charm to them when looked at on their own merits. This pattern thing needs to stop, though. There are so many varied and creative ideas for Fire starters. Cramming them all into the "athlete" box is such a letdown.

I just really want to like the Fire starter this Gen. It's been so long since I used one.

Not to be that guy...but do we really need another rabbit?

Edit: heck do we need another Monkey?
You do know in the real world we have like a hunred plus specis of the same animal right.

I mean come on God did we need chimps, apes, monkeys, chimpanzees, organatangs, mandrill, lesula (go google search monkey species and you'll get a whole list if them)

And how many freaking frogs we have come on God come up with something new!
God: fine buts its ugly so I'll hide it under thousands of miles of water
werid ** in the ocean

Yeah, Grookey, after looking at more fanart, just looks adorable, so he's my first choice, followed with Sobble as second, and the Fire Type Roger Rabbit ending dead last.

You do know in the real world we have like a hunred plus specis of the same animal right.

I mean come on God did we need chimps, apes, monkeys, chimpanzees, organatangs, mandrill, lesula (go google search monkey species and you'll get a whole list if them)

And how many freaking frogs we have come on God come up with something new!
God: fine buts its ugly so I'll hide it under thousands of miles of water
werid ** in the ocean

Oh geezz, my stomach. That reply is hillarious!

They're cute, but I'm not jumping at this batch, something about the three just isn't clicking with me and I'm not sure why.

If I had to choose, I'm leaning towards Sobble or Grookey, but I feel this is going to come down to what their thematic and evolutions are.

Last edited:
The trailer did a fantastic job of bringing this Gen's starters to life. It was really a nice touch and made me feel equally good about all 3. I hope the momentum is kept in their evolutions.

For once, I actually don't have a favorite. I'm just glad they are actually better than most of the leaks, arguably barring that mole/sheep/waterbear one.

If Scorbunny becomes Fire/Electric, he or she will be my new favorite Fire starter. So here's to hoping!

I also like Grookey. So cute! Not a fan of Sobble at the moment. But maybe more information will change my mind.

Other than that, I am still waiting for more information.

I think Sobble is cutest, but I also like Scorbunny a lot.

They're all just big ovals with limbs...

Has a set of Starters ever been so bodily similar and simplistic? Last time, we got a circular owl next to a realistic cat and a realistic sea lion. They were immediately distinct from one another. Same for Gen 6, and Gen 5...

All three having the exact same head-shape is sending me lol. And Scorbunny has the exact same face as Chespin.

All three having the exact same head-shape is sending me lol.
I think that's my complaint too. To be fair, essentially ALL first-stage starters (being the juveniles of their evolutionary family) have large, round, childlike heads, but here the round shapes are just ... too obvious? Fennekin had those huge ears, Popplio had that pointy nose, but this trio ... meh.

Regardless, I have to side with team Scorbunny for now. I just hope we don't get another Fighting type (which, if the soccer / sports theme pans out is a high probability, e.g. Passimian). It's not that I hate Fighting as a type, I just hate the designs, and nearly half of all Fire starters have been associated with the type.

How is Grookey getting beat by the other two? Especially the rabbit.

I guess GF does deliver on its designs to whoever the modern fanbase is made of, but why that change has happened, no idea.

It took me longer than it probably should have to realize that Sobble is a chameleon

Still really not sure if it's monkeys or chameleons for me this time. Looking at their stock artwork is helping me warm up to them all; I don't think seeing them in CGI first was a good idea. Personally, anyway.

Since this is a U.K. based region, I won’t be surprised if Sobble ends up evolving into something resembling the Loch Ness monster. As for Scorbunny, I hope it evolves into a Fire/Fairy type since we have yet to have that combo.

I'm one of those 'I need to know the final evolution, before I decide" people

At the moment, I don't take a liking to Grookey. In most gens, I've never been a fan of the Grass starter.

Scorbunny is a wildcard. I'd like to hope that Fire starter far exceeds the others in popularity and design. This hasn't been the case, since Gen 3. It's either been average (Infernape, Incineroar) or bad (Emboar, Delphox).

Sobble is the safe pick. It's lizard design, give me Charizard and Sceptile vibes. I've got a feeling that its final evolution will resemble a Dragon type, but have a completely different typing.

All in all, it's a choice between Scorbunny and Sobble.

I'm one of those 'I need to know the final evolution, before I decide" people

At the moment, I don't take a liking to Grookey. In most gens, I've never been a fan of the Grass starter.

Scorbunny is a wildcard. I'd like to hope that Fire starter far exceeds the others in popularity and design. This hasn't been the case, since Gen 3. It's either been average (Infernape, Incineroar) or bad (Emboar, Delphox).

Sobble is the safe pick. It's lizard design, give me Charizard and Sceptile vibes. I've got a feeling that its final evolution will resemble a Dragon type, but have a completely different typing.

All in all, it's a choice between Scorbunny and Sobble.
Hey! Emboar is my most favorite Fire starter at the moment with Delphox second.

Scorbunny might change all that though. I really hope so.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom