• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rival Speculation

I hope we get a jerk rival and not a gentleman or lady just because of the British theme.

I predict that your rival will be your sibling aka the gender you dont select.
I agree, this would be a simple, and cool way to make a rival. I would really like to see them be twins, and the player you don't choose is your rival and sibling. They could do a play on twins being rivals from birth, always trying to be the better twin. Maybe your twin has always been ahead of you, in everything they do, and they make it their goal to be ahead of you. They let you choose your starter first, just so they can choose the starter that's strong against yours. A jerk move.It would help fill that sort of jerk rival that everyone has been wanting, while still making it new and interesting.

And if they didn't want to do a jerk rival. maybe they went on a journey to help push you along on your journey. It would be neat to see a play on that too.

Whatever way it happens, I love the idea of your sibling being the rival. A very interesting idea indeed. Not to mention it will also change up that small, not important gimmick that the games tend to have that you live only with your mom and no one else, maybe a Pokemon.

Last edited:
Hugh kinda fits into that.

I'd also like a rival that's competitive since we've had our fair share of friendly rivals.
Despite them being friendly rivals, Wally, Barry, Cheren, Hugh, Calem/Serena, and Hau were fairly competitive. This is standard with most friendly rivals.

Mean rivals are dead. That in mind, i prefer rivals that are a little more wound up in the plot, like silver (though he's very much his own thing, really), cheren, bianca, hau, gladion, and especially hugh. the ones that are more off on the side have been okay, but if they're going to pitch the rival as my "friend," then i want them to be there getting stuck in the thick of it with me.

I'd like mean, abrasive, cold, distant, or otherwise not just a happy cutout. I'm so sick and tired of everyone being so happy and nice all the time, villains notwithstanding. An I'd be fine with friendlier characters, but them being too happy would suck. I don't want another ass-kisser like Trace, Hau, Lillie the XYvals (barring Calem/Serena.) Yes I know Lillie's not a rival, but still.

Cheren was friendly, but reserved and analytical. Hugh was brash, vengeful and angry, but he was very much your friend and biggest supporter. Gladion was rude, worked for Team Skull and actively avoided being your friend, but he was a good kid with reasonable excuses for coming off as an edgelord. They weren't strictly "jerk" rivals, but I'd still like more rivals like them.

Cheren was friendly, but reserved and analytical. Hugh was brash, vengeful and angry, but he was very much your friend and biggest supporter. Gladion was rude, worked for Team Skull and actively avoided being your friend, but he was a good kid with reasonable excuses for coming off as an edgelord. They weren't strictly "jerk" rivals, but I'd still like more rivals like them.
Yes, I'd definitely like to see rivals like them again.

If they aren't mean/rude/difficult then that's okay...

I just want someone with substance and discernible character development. Also, please don't make them a pushover when it comes to battle.
I don't want to see another Trace and I get your point.

I wonder if they'll ever repeat BW again, where N kinda obscured the line between rival & main antagonist. I guess Gladion came closest. I want a deep rivalry, doesn't necessarily have to be dickish, but certainly not Trace. Leave the friendly stuff to the Let's Go series.

I liked the idea someone here had where the rival's interaction with you changes depending on choices you make. Perhaps along with their personality, their team changes as well to reflect their relationship to you.

I hope we get a jerk rival and not a gentleman or lady just because of the British theme.

They could most definitely be that and still be pompous jerks at the same time lol They'd just be "polite" about their perceived superiority.

They wouldn’t make the rival a complete jerk, but I'd love two rivals: one leans more on the friendlier side, and one has classic angry-British humour complete with sarcasm and insults which somehow manage to sound polite even.

I want a Blue or Silver, I expect to get what might just be the friendliest rival of all time.....

I hope we get 3 rivals this time.

One can be your sibling and is gender opposite of your gender choice. Then another Rival who can be the professors kid, who can also be gender opposite (Male if you play as a male and female if you play as female). The next rival can either be the kid of the Champion or the evil team leader, which can be different from the versions, same as his character. Jerky rival in Sword (Evil team) and friendly rival in Shield (Champion) and its gender can als be gender specific (Its female if you choose male and the other way around). This way the male/female gender ratio stays the same 2v2.

Back
Top Bottom