• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pokemon Champions by gender

Gen 1: Blue (Male)
Gen 2: Lance (Male)
Gen 3: Steven/Wallace (Males)
Gen 4: Cynthia (Female)
Gen 5: Alder (Male), Iris (Female)
Gen 6: Diantha: (Female)
Gen 7: Professor Kukui/ Sun (Males), Moon (Female)

Males: 7, Females: 4

The next Champion for Galar will probably be female.
What evidence do you have for that, other than the fact that there's been fewer females than males? If there was pattern I might agree but I'm not certain anything can be extrapolated from this.

Whoever the champion is, I would love to see more character put into them. Kukui was really great, because we had known him the whole game. I honestly didn't see much though through Diantha. We saw her like, once in the beginning of the game, and then not till we fight her at the end. I mean, her little piece in the beginning is pretty good, but still, not on the level of Kukui or Steven Stone. I really like it when the Champions are incorporated into the plot, or at least have a lot of their personality and visibility in the game. It really helps show them off as a true figure in the region, and not just some random really strong trainer.

So I hope whoever we see as the champion, they really fit into the game, and aren't just a small addition at the end.

Whoever the champion is, I would love to see more character put into them. Kukui was really great, because we had known him the whole game. I honestly didn't see much though through Diantha. We saw her like, once in the beginning of the game, and then not till we fight her at the end. I mean, her little piece in the beginning is pretty good, but still, not on the level of Kukui or Steven Stone. I really like it when the Champions are incorporated into the plot, or at least have a lot of their personality and visibility in the game. It really helps show them off as a true figure in the region, and not just some random really strong trainer.

So I hope whoever we see as the champion, they really fit into the game, and aren't just a small addition at the end.

It's interesting- I liked Kukui and Cynthia a lot as Champions, and they feature more heavily in the plot of the story than some of the other ones, so I'd mostly agree with you- however, you did remind me of Steven Stone, who I was neutral on when I played Emerald as a kid, but came off as way too overly involved in my story when I played ORAS- to the point of me finding him creepy and unlikeable.

That might just be me, but I hope they find a good balance. I think Kukui worked well because he was the professor, so him coming back to check in on you and help you out made a lot of sense as far as the story went, and with Cynthia it felt like we were both trying to solve some of the same mysteries so it would make sense that our paths would cross. I liked Iris and Alder too! I'm not sure what it was about Steven in ORAS that made me go 'who on earth is THIS guy', despite having known who he was for years.

I posted that some pages ago, but the moderation took some time to allow it, don't know if everybody saw it.
Anyone knows something about it? It's like something they'd do, but I really hope it's fake.
I guess its fake there was other pictures of supposed starters like this with the confidential stamp on them that were faked

Apparently, there’s a poster with Pokémon from the upcoming movie in pair, with two Mewtwo paired with a black oval figure to hide the Pokémon behind it....but there’s a text in katakana saying ‘Armored Mewtwo’. You can find it on resetera.

Edit: here’s the link to the pic.

D0g5y5aXcAY08Ec.jpg:large
Psyduck and Togepi- I guess Misty's back.

Also disappointed that those aren't clone charizard, blastoise and venusaur. They had better no have removed their markings for this film.
I know we already talked about this, but Pokemon has hidden their gimmick in the Pokemon logo the past two generations. In pokemon x&y, you had the marble with DNA for mega evolution, and you had a crystal in the pokemon logo for sun&moon. That was obviously referring to z-moves. Now in Sword&Shield, you see this red and blue circle thing. I think it's safe to say that whatever that thing is, it's this region's gimmick.
Honestly, given where we've seen that circle thing so far, I would say that the gimmick for this Gen is just the return to gyms.
Well that just about confirms a 1:1 remake. Doesn't look like this film is gonna differ much from the original.
Look...it’s a stadium/arena. What a coincidence.

Also, Mewtwo seems to have two different armored evolution. While it might be a stretched they might be Sword/offensive based and Shield/defensive based.

If that happens (and I’m not saying it will) there might be some connection with the new games.
Considering the two hidden armored forms are paired with two different poses of Mewtwo, I don't think that it's two different armor forms.

It didn't help that she was arguably the weakest champion til date either. Of all things Gen VI did bad, characters being forgettable has to be at the top.

What do you guys think? I know I shouldn't be even thinking about that...but this time, well, geographically, it's not that far from reality. Also consider there's a route that from the player's house go south and that's not Route 1, considering we saw in the trailer that route 1 starts beyond the house of the player.
Also....why did they make UK a peninsula?

Last edited:

No that it really helps, but you do see Diantha one other time before the endgame; she's at the train station when you arrive at Coumarine City.

That said, I actually think most Champions haven't been handled very well. I like how they approached Blue, Alder, ORAS Steven, Kukui, and Hau. Cynthia was good in Platinum, but in the originals she was as garbage-tier as Diantha with only a better team to her name. Lance's priorities seem weirdly misplaced in both GSC and the remakes (he's okay as it is, I just wish he were also involved during the Radio Tower takeover), Steven in RS is involved in the story but is as dull as the rocks he likes to collect, Wallace's replacement of him in Emerald is a clumsy hack job, and as much as I absolutely love the final battle with Iris, her lack of involvement in the plot once Team Plasma lay siege to her home city is very strange, especially since she did appear earlier in the story when she needed to guide you to the Castelia Sewers.

(Even still, in all of this, it is true that none of the other Champions ever have a moment that's quite as laughable as Diantha's Black Writ of Challenge match at the Battle Chateau wherein, because of what I can only assume was an oversight, her Lv80 Mega Gardevoir entirely fails to have any directly offensive moves - it's only option is to use Hypnosis and Dream Eater.)

What do you guys think? I know I shouldn't be even thinking about that...but this time, well, geographically, it's not that far from reality. Also consider there's a route that from the player's house go south and that's not Route 1, considering we saw in the trailer that route 1 starts beyond the house of the player.
I read in other forums that the two regions seems to be part of the same macro region. Your work makes it seem quite possible.

But as you said, I prefer to not think about this possibility, to avoid being disappointed if it won’t happen.

I wouldn't mind going back to a graphically improved Kalos, but I think those woods might end up being that foggy forest we got a glimpse of in the trailer.

Look at the pose, at the teeth, at the yellow spot in the ears. The only starters we really believed. They were clearly very well done.
View attachment 116248
Those yellow spots are like those of a battery. Two on feet one on head. Probably 1 stage charge. Not fire/fighting and will kearn blaze kick, maybe early on? Would be better then flamethrower. The grass looks like ground but would like rock or steel. Water with acid amor hmm could be poison after fairy really possible. But even if should learn that dragon sound scale move and more. Hmmm rock, electric and poison would make sense. Somebody remembers sword and shield? Who wrote in the past that? Who?

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind going back to a graphically improved Kalos, but I think those woods might end up being that foggy forest we got a glimpse of in the trailer.
I know...and that's funny. Cause you don't have a pokemon to go there at the beginning, but you have to go there at some point.

Based on the logos, I'm wondering if the box legend is just one wolf legendary, but has a version exclusive form/appearance.

I am actually thinking the same thing... especially if this armor mechanic is true. It's the same legendary with different forms based on the armor mechanic gimmick in game.

I can honestly see armor acting like a held item for your Pokemon to permanently wear it. Sort of like how the Griseous Orb does for Giratina.

I would love armor mewtwo in game, it's pretty badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom