• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What was the Worst addition to the Games?

Gen I HMs. Why Gen I specifically? Because you can't delete them. I completely forgot about that and slapped Cut onto Dugtrio in Yellow thinking I could get rid of it later in Fuchsia City. Except...that was in FRLG. Whoops. :p
However, in Gen 1, the HMs aren't really needed. Fly is only for convenience, Flash is only useful in Rock Tunnel, you only need Cut to get to Lt. Surge and Erika's gyms, you only need Surf to get to Cinnabar Island and the Power Plant, and Strength is only needed for Victory Road.

However, in Gen 1, the HMs aren't really needed. Fly is only for convenience, Flash is only useful in Rock Tunnel, you only need Cut to get to Lt. Surge and Erika's gyms, you only need Surf to get to Cinnabar Island and the Power Plant, and Strength is only needed for Victory Road.
Cut isn't necessary for most of the game but it's still useful to get stuff that's out of the way without having to go back and forth between the Pokemon Center. And if you're a kid on your first playthrough, you might teach Flash to someone in your main party without knowing that it's only needed for Rock Tunnel. The Move Deleter would've been particularly useful for the latter case.

To each their own, though.

Last edited:
The added/changed HMs over the years. Gens II and IV were the worst with *eight frickin' HMs*, more than half of which sucked. In fact, my favorite thing about Gen VII was the removal of HMs. Praise Jesus. I hadn't known how badly I'd needed that.

The added/changed HMs over the years. Gens II and IV were the worst with *eight frickin' HMs*, more than half of which sucked. In fact, my favorite thing about Gen VII was the removal of HMs. Praise Jesus. I hadn't known how badly I'd needed that.
Don't forget Gen III and ORAS, that also required 8 HMs.

It was 3rd gen that had 8, not 2nd. 2nd had 7.

The only part I've really hated about HMs is needing to sacrifice a move or Pokemon, not so much the actual overworld functions. I actually think most of them have been fairly useful and add something to the overworld. Having obstacles and overworld puzzles makes the overworld more interesting to explore. I'd actually like to see some of these come back as ride moves/field abilities/whatever they want to do.

There's also the fact that they force you to use Pokémon you don't care at all. It's for that reason that I only used my starter to beat Gen I through VI. If I can't use what I want when I want, why should I bother making a team?

Never been big on Gen 5's little cinema side quest, It's fine on it's own, but breaks the flow of Black and White 2, as someone who's attempted to replay Black 2 a few times I got so tired of the cinema that I would just stop playing the game

Totems, Alolan forms (instead of just making new pokémon, though I admit it enriches the game but just.... just make a new one...), Trials.

Essentially, Im not a fan of Gen VII at all. In fairness, I never got round to finishing Ultra Sun (did finish Sun, because it's still pokémon), but I hear its a huge improvement on Sun, so I guess I ll give it a shot... not looking forward to it.

-
I don't know that it is the worst addition ever, but I really struggle to think of anything any more annoying than the "SOS" wild Pokemon feature in S/M and US/UM. To me the feature does make sense in some cases and allows for some neat little Easter eggs. The problem I have with it is that it is one of those features that just becomes incredibly irritating.

Not having a new Pokemon game to play this year I decided to get US and give Generation VII a second chance. I was enjoying it... Until the SOS battle feature began. Then it was like "Oh... This is why I hated Sun so much". Don't get me wrong, the place where it was introduced was completely appropriate. I have no problem with it being used in a battle like a Totem Pokemon battle. What I have an issue with is when I'm just trying to catch a random Pokemon and when I finally get its health down it goes into an infinite loop of summoning more Pokemon. It's like the feature is broken - a lot of the times the first summon doesn't work (and it's pretty funny to watch the far away animation of the wild Pokemon sitting there all alone), but when it does work it keeps on going and going and going. Granted, I haven't experienced that in US yet, but I haven't played it much. I just remember this being a HUGE pain in the rear in Sun.

(Another thing is that oftentimes my Pokemon getting double teamed now means that I have to use a potion or something when otherwise it would have just been simple. I guess some people might like that added difficulty, but to me it's one of those things I just don't need.)
That's because they changed it in Ultra Sun entirely. Unless you use an adrenaline orb, there's a limit of just one single successful SOS call.

I do not like how Sturdy changed in Gen 5. It always feels like they're cheating.

IMO, Game Freak's mistake with Sturdy was not making it work like it does now from the start. When I first saw Sturdy in Gen 3, I was rather baffled by its description of "negates one-hit KO moves" yet the Sturdy user still getting KOed in one hit from full HP. Then I realized it only applied to moves like Fissure and Guillotine and thinking how worthless the ability was at the time.

Oh yeah, I hate the fact that there are event exclusive Pokemon, this is why I never start a new game, if only Game Freak allowed us to have multiple save files, then this wouldn't be such a problem.

That's easy(for me at least);

those B100dy Island Trials from Gen 7; Good Riddance; and thank goodness they're not in Let's go Pikachu & Eevee; Nor are they in Pokemon Sword & Shield; I was never a fan of them when gen 7 started; and I Certainly don't miss them NOW; Seriously, I might be off-base when I say this; But Gyms were & are so much better than the Island trials ever could hope to be; the Pokemon Gyms never deserved to be cast aside in gen 7, until later in that generation, during the release of Let's go Pikachu & Eevee, where they have FINALLY made their triumphant return. . . and they appear to be back for Gen 8; Meaning they're not going away any time soon!!

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom