• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Burgundy was treated clearly as a joke character
That pretty much was the big problem with Burgundy. She was just there to make Cilan look good. They didn't do anything to develop her really. She just wanted revenge for getting a bad evaluation and there was nothing more to it. She never became a better connaisseuse through the series and never made Cilan doubt himself or feel threatened by her. She remained a low level connaisseuse and never had any character development. She never became less abrasive and bratty. She could have learned from Cilan or something, but the writers would rather just leaver her as the biggest butt monkey of the series.

Sun and Moon has replaced best wishes as the worst series as far.

Also, Sun and Moon is not canon. There is clearly strong evidence towards this and I really doubt anyone would care if Ash's Alola Pokemon returned in the future.

Also, Sun and Moon is not canon. There is clearly strong evidence towards this and I really doubt anyone would care if Ash's Alola Pokemon returned in the future.
I strongly disagree with both of those points.

I disagree. Dawn won her first Ribbon after defeating Kenny. If you remove Kenny, who would have Dawn defeated to win that Ribbon? A nobody who we never heard of and would never see again. Do people even remember who May defeated in order to earn her first Ribbon?

Like I said, I understand why Kenny is nobody's favorite character, but I think it was better having him around than watching Dawn defeat a bunch of one-time Coordinators.

Um, yes? I remember Grace, she was actually one of my favorite one-shot rivals. The point of showing May battle a bunch of one-off characters is the writers were trying to introduce us to the coordinator world, and show us lots of different characters and why they would be interested in them. Because it was the first saga with Contests. I found most of the one-off characters May battles in Hoenn/BF very interesting and I was disappointed they didn't appear again for the Grand Festival.

In the DP contests they largely just recycled Zoey/Kenny for most of them until we got Ursula. They didn't even have Dawn battle Nando in a Contest either so he felt wasted.

Speak for yourself, I care about Ash's pokemon and you disliking a show doesn't make it non canon.

I don't know how anyone could argue that SM isn't canon. I know that was a big point of discussion when the series started, to an extremely annoying degree in my opinion, but I think Misty and Brock's appearances kind of debunked that theory. Not only do they reference various moments of their Kanto and Johto journeys through flashbacks, there's also references to AG and DP. Misty didn't get a Gyarados until after she left the cast, which Ash learned about only after she appeared in AG, and Brock was referred to as a Pokemon Doctor in training, which didn't happen until DP. I'm not sure what evidence you're referring to, but they've made it pretty clear that SM is still in the same continuity as the previous series.

I don't think that SM is the worst series either, but I can understand why people would feel that way. SM does have its fair share of problems and I do agree with some of the more common criticisms of the series. I think I would still choose SM over BW simply because SM doesn't frustrate me nearly as much as BW does. SM doesn't have anyone as insufferable as Iris was for me. Even rewatching the series didn't really change my opinion on Iris. Not to mention the boring rivals and too fast pacing really brings the series down for me. BW does have some good elements to it, some of the battles are better than I remembered and I still think fans were pretty harsh on BW Ash, but it doesn't really outweigh the problems I have with it. For all of its problems, SM is still at least enjoyable to watch every week.

You may think it doesn't look like it, but evidence speaks otherwise. Both Pokémon used Gyro Ball to deflect the opposing attacks without hitting the opponent. Sounds like countering to me.
I think you aren't picking up on the counter part of counter shield. You say yourself "without hitting the opponent", that is just deflecting or blocking a move. By your definition every time Pikachu uses Iron tail to knock down some opponents attack without taking any damage that is a counter shield. The whole point of counter shield was that it also did small amounts of damage to the opponent that stacked up over time. There really is no evidence that Brock used counter shield, people just really want it to be a reference. Brock referred to learning from Ash's creative battle strategies, which existed in every series, not just in DP. Bulbapedia saying "uses gyro ball while spinning" also makes no sense because, as I have said before, gyro ball is a spinning move, every gyro ball looks that way and those are 100% regular executions of the move gyro ball, just used to block an opponents' attack rather than to attack them. And there are hundreds of examples of attacks used to defend throughout the history of the anime, they aren't all references to counter shield.

I think you aren't picking up on the counter part of counter shield. You say yourself "without hitting the opponent", that is just deflecting or blocking a move. By your definition every time Pikachu uses Iron tail to knock down some opponents attack without taking any damage that is a counter shield. The whole point of counter shield was that it also did small amounts of damage to the opponent that stacked up over time. There really is no evidence that Brock used counter shield, people just really want it to be a reference. Brock referred to learning from Ash's creative battle strategies, which existed in every series, not just in DP. Bulbapedia saying "uses gyro ball while spinning" also makes no sense because, as I have said before, gyro ball is a spinning move, every gyro ball looks that way and those are 100% regular executions of the move gyro ball, just used to block an opponents' attack rather than to attack them. And there are hundreds of examples of attacks used to defend throughout the history of the anime, they aren't all references to counter shield.
This reference counts because Brock directly referred to having learned it from Ash.

Umm, yes he did. Kukui told Burnet at one point that he had recognized Nebby as Cosmog.

Back
Top Bottom