• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if its been mentioned, but would the animation style of SM carry over to S & S? Would it fit the British style region, or would people prefer something more akin to X & Y with Kalos?
I don't think we can say anything for sure. But looking at the art and animation style of the SM anime, I think it very much suits this anime's idea of of being more of a "slice of life" Pokemon anime. The animation style is great for the gags and the humor as it gives the animators a lot more freedom. It suits this series well.

Seeing as it's looking very likely that Ash will be going back to traveling in the SwSh anime, since gyms are making their return, I think the animation style will also go back to bring back the more adventure style that the traveling series have.

If anything, if proven that Grookey will be the effeminate Pokemon, the Female Trainer could have Grookey, whist Ash a Scrobunny and later Sobble.

I am somehow seeing a pattern between the two regions within the four International Regions...

Unova and Alola - Both based on the US States, both have Ash with two Gym Leaders (classmates in Alola), both have sequals/revamped versions of the games, both have Legendary Pokemon that can fuse with the third.

Kalos and Galar - Both are part of Europe, both will probably be similar in theme of having a female trainer and Gym Leader (excluding younger sibling with Kalos), both will probably have a remake of an older Gen (Gen 3 with Kalos and Gen 4 with Galar- not counting LGPE for Gen 7), both will probably have Legendary Pokemon to do with peace and war.

I don't think we can say anything for sure. But looking at the art and animation style of the SM anime, I think it very much suits this anime's idea of of being more of a "slice of life" Pokemon anime. The animation style is great for the gags and the humor as it gives the animators a lot more freedom. It suits this series well.

Seeing as it's looking very likely that Ash will be going back to traveling in the SwSh anime, since gyms are making their return, I think the animation style will also go back to bring back the more adventure style that the traveling series have.
I Sure hope so. . . otherwise I'm not watching this series either; like I've been boycotting watching episodes of Sun & Moon. . .

Gen 3 - "FireRed and LeafGreen" (2004) - 8 years after Gen 1- "Red and Green" (1996)
Gen 4- "HeartGold and SoulSilver" (2009) - 10 years after Gen 2- "Gold and Silver" (1999)
Gen 6- "OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire" (2014) - 12 years after Gen 3- "Ruby and Sapphire" (2002)
Gen 8- "Gen 4 Remake" (2020) will probably be 14 years after Gen 4- "Diamond and Pearl" (2006)

Not to include...

Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee (2018) - 20 years after Pokemon Yellow (1998).
So ior Let's Go Crystal, it could may as well be in 2020 for 20 years, or 2021. If released at the same time in 2020 with Gen 4 Remake, then it would be a big year for Pokemon indeed. Let's Go is it's own branch of remakes compared with the Diamond and Pearl one. Most likely Let's Go Crystal would be released for 2021 rather than 2020.

If we take this for granted, we can't avoid the fact that a Gen 4 remake is certainly due. Meaning that for the Sword and Shield Anime, Ash would journey with the Female Trainer and a Gym Leader. The only difference is the Female Trainer choosing Grookey, whilst Ash Scorbunny and later Sobble. Or possibly the other-way round if it's to mirror, just like Gen 6 did with Gen 3.

Would love to see Gen 4 remakes, apart from Gen 1, all remakes appeared double the original generation for 2 and 3
It also appears in matching numbers...

Gen 3 and Gen 1
Gen 4 and Gen 2
Gen 6 and Gen 3
Gen 8 and Gen 4

Original Series: Gen 1 Anime -1997/1998
2 years
Original Series: Gen 2 Anime -1999/2000
3 years (Total 5 years)
Advance Series: Gen 3 Anime - 2002/2003
4 years
Diamond and Pearl Series: Gen 4 Anime - 2006/2007
4 years
Best Wishes/Black and White Series: Gen 5 Anime - 2010/2011
3 years
X and Y Series: Gen 6 Anime - 2013
3 years
Sun and Moon Series: Gen 7 Anime - 2016
3 Years
Sword and Shield Series: Gen 8 Anime - 2019

So Gen 8's Anime might have a good run for 3 years (2019-2022)

Kaki and Mamane.
Oh!
But still, I don't think that this is going to be Gen 4 because I don't think that Kiawe or Soph are gonna be carried over.
Who said they'll be coming with Ash? I was meaning something like Gen 6, where Ash will journey through Galar with the Female Trainer and one of the Gym Leaders from Galar, yet this time with no younger sibling character. Perhaps having the Female Trainer with Grookey whilst Ash Scorbunny and Sobble.

I’m starting to suspect Misty and Brock will make a permanent return with Gen 8 after all the Kanto stuff happening lately. Misty/Brock get two separate cameos in Alola and now a movie? Albeit the movie is a remake but still a new appearance. It feels like the writers are reintroducing Misty/Brock to the younger kid audience who weren’t even born when they were on the show.

With Gen 8 seeming like a return to form with Gyms and whatnot, if they do go back to the original trio over new companions it wouldn’t be that surprising. It’s actually less repetitive than sitting through yet another new female companion who is just going to be another beginning trainer learning how to battle from Ash that we’ve seen so many times now. Given all the other girls like Iris, Serena don’t get cameos and May/Dawn probably won’t ever appear again, Misty is the only girl to get multiple returns in the series. I can see her and Brock returning with new clothes.

Well:

idk but looks like serena this is just a small proof for her return we got more but yea if she doesnt get a chance to appear doesnt mean she ll be stuck like dawn,misty etc..Writers will at some point make her return and r planning something special for her probably so serena will be back Sooner OR Later but for sure a permanent...

Alola has already done the two Gym Leader formula, even though it was suppose to be Ash with classmates. Every 2 out of 4, we have this pattern of Ash's companions being 2 Gym Leaders, and Ash being with a Female Trainer with a Gym Leader.

Kanto, Johto, Unova and Alola have the 2 Gym Leader formula.
Hoenn, Sinnoh and Kalos has the Female Trainer and Gym Leader formula (exceptions to Hoenn and Kalos for having a younger sibling.)

So it would be obvious that it would be Ash with the Female Trainer and a Gym Leader this time for Galar.

Alola has already done the two Gym Leader formula, even though it was suppose to be Ash with classmates. Every 2 out of 4, we have this pattern of Ash's companions being 2 Gym Leaders, and Ash being with a Female Trainer with a Gym Leader.

Kanto, Johto, Unova and Alola have the 2 Gym Leader formula.
Hoenn, Sinnoh and Kalos has the Female Trainer and Gym Leader formula (exceptions to Hoenn and Kalos for having a younger sibling.)

So it would be obvious that it would be Ash with the Female Trainer and a Gym Leader this time for Galar.
Patterns can very easily be broken. I mean, did we seriously expect Ash to actually catch a Mythical?

Patterns can very easily be broken. I mean, did we seriously expect Ash to actually catch a Mythical?
let alone a Steel-type;

Here's the list of Pokemon types he has YET to catch(AND add to his party):
  1. Fairy type
  2. Psychic type
  3. Ghost type(Haunter doesn't count; HE DIDN'T Catch it; It just followed him)

Something to note is that Grookey's mouth makes me think of Piplup. Could it be that Grookey when picked by the Female Trainer could be Sword and Shield's answer to Dawn's Piplup, just as Serene's Fennekin is X and Y's answer to May's Torchic?

Just wondered?

This fixation on patterns is very boring. Say what you will, but SM has been refreshing for breaking the mold.
Yeah. This saga will most likely mark the first time that Ash does not get a Water-type and the regional bird, and he even caught a Mythical that knows an Electric-type move. Take that, patterns.

That's minor.

You think a main character (let alone the main character) catching a mythical for the first time in the history of the anime is a minor thing?

...okay? Well, good thing SM also broke some other patterns, such as: it being the series with the most companions, it featuring multiple main/recurring characters who keep (some of) their Pokémon in variant Poké Balls, it being the first time since the OG when Ash catches a Pokémon in a variant Poké Ball, it being the first time to have Ash visit Kanto in the "middle" of the series and then have him return to the non-Kanto region, it being the first time Ash doesn't travel across the region (like he did in past series), it being the first time Ash caught a Pokémon that knows an Electric-type attack (that being Meltan) and a Steel-type Pokémon (also Meltan), it being the first time that the TRio's "blast off" was completely changed (being replaced by the Bewear gag), it being the first time any main character owned an HM slave (Kiawe's Charizard (for most of the series)) and so many more.

Now, not all of these patterns should have been broken and some of them may have been done poorly. But, if SM proves anything, it's that the anime isn't afraid to break some patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom