• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Trainer/Player Character Customization Discussion

I don't care what people want to wear. I just want to age my trainer into an adult. If not in the main story then at least let me customize for online. I remember a game on the GameCube or Wii, I don't remember exactly, but you could use several avatars, one was a big dude that looked like a cross between Lt Surge and the sailor NPCs. I really liked it.
That was Pokémon Battle Revolution for the Wii. It had six avatars: If I recall correctly, the avatars were a boy, a girl, an adult man, an adult woman, an enormous man and a little girl.

Maybe extend the color-customization system into an RGB system like in image editors? Or let us dress up as past Pokémon protagonists like Red, or (former) villain team leaders like Cyrus?

Also, the ability to nickname your Pokémon freely should also make a return. I hate how Name Raters were restrictive, before LGPE made him a tips-giving NPC instead of a requirement.

I think we should be dressing our character whatever we want at the beginning of the game with a few starter choices of clothing. Oh and we should edit our height and width. When we decide on the characters appearance in the beginning, we shouldn't just decide our gender and skin color. We should go all out!

Facial hair, if the female PC gets exclusive customization, then the male PC should also get some exclusive customization and facial hair would be that. I don't care if these games are for children, that has never stopped Mario from having a mustache, so why should it stop a Pokemon trainer from having one? Plus, if Pokemon really wants to grow up a little, have the male PC grow a beard or mustache.
I second that, I started growing mustache at age 9. There's no excuse for that children are too young for facial hair.
I want maid dresses.
I want amiibo support so I could unlock Male Corrin's and Yoshi's clothing. Seriously though GF, put amiibo support in the game if only for obtaining costumes of other characters. STOP BEING SO ARCHAIC!!!

Last edited:
RGB plus a saturation slider would really save them a lot of time and free up resources for more unique items and accessories. Have one basic tee shirt, then allow players to custom slide the color to what they want. Then have a striped shirt, and allow custom sliders for "Color 1" and "Color 2", and so on and so forth for each "model" of clothing they want to include. This was the system for clothing customization in the Tony Hawk PS2 games, and it worked just fine. The same colorization option should be available for hair, as well, because they definitely have important NPC's with wild hair colors.

I don't know how how controversial this feature was, but I really liked working towards the novelty Slurpuff dress in XY, and I liked how certain (almost all, IIRC?) outfits were rewarded to you in LGPE. I'd kind of like to see a few more rewards like that in SwSh, like getting a special hat for getting a certain win streak in a battle facility, or a backpack with the GF logo or some kind of Professor's sigil for completing the dex, or even a special Pokeball sparkle/entrance for one of your Pokemon that won some kind of challenge or something, like how you got the star entrance for getting certain endings with your own Pokemon in PokeStar Studios in BW2. Tie a few customization items into the gameplay a bit more.

Nothing too much of impact, but I hope we get a customization option that allows us to wear bracelets, necklaces and rings.

We've had the Mega Ring in XY and the Bravelet in ORAS but that was mandatory and you couldn't model it yourself.

Would also be fun if stuff like the Shiny Charm after you obtain it could become one of those 'customization' options so that you can attach it to your bag or something.

Nothing too much of impact, but I hope we get a customization option that allows us to wear bracelets, necklaces and rings.

We've had the Mega Ring in XY and the Bravelet in ORAS but that was mandatory and you couldn't model it yourself.

Would also be fun if stuff like the Shiny Charm after you obtain it could become one of those 'customization' options so that you can attach it to your bag or something.
This. Also, let us customize the Z-Bracelet. It can look terribly clashing depending on the clothes you wear, so a way to change its color to match what we are wearing would be good.

I'm hoping it will return, but I also know that if it does return, it will most likely suck. Seriously, version-exclusive clothing? 180K for ugly looking pants? Who does that?

I'm hoping it will return, but I also know that if it does return, it will most likely suck. Seriously, version-exclusive clothing? 180K for ugly looking pants? Who does that?
Well, version-exclusive clothing is only in the Gen VII games, and in LGPE is kinda justified since it depends on the partner Pokémon, although it is a little unfair on Let's Go, Pikachu! players.

Well, version-exclusive clothing is only in the Gen VII games, and in LGPE is kinda justified since it depends on the partner Pokémon, although it is a little unfair on Let's Go, Pikachu! players.

I know, but that doesn't really change my opinion about it. It's still an odd choice.

To be fair, something you think is ugly, might be the best one out of all for people.

I think that is the nice thing from customization, there's a clothing piece to everyone's liking amongst the options.

Version exclusive clothing was a terrible idea and whoever thought it up is a terrible person. :p

Also for the male/female clothing being worn by female/males option discussion from before....

Animal Crossing has allowed boys to wear dresses and skirts and the world hasn't set itself on fire yet so I don't see why it'd be a problem. Plus Ash has crossdressed at multiple points since THE FIRST SEASON and the world seems pretty not on fire from it to me. Plus cross dressing was, at least in the past, James's big THING.

Plus I liked some of the male clothing a lot and hated that I couldn't wear it as a girl. Like, 90% of my irl shirts are bought in the men's section. I don't always wanna dress my girl up like a pretty pretty princess. Only sometimes.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom