• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ideas for Let's Go Johto

Mew is almost guaranteed to get a movie distribution for LGPE. Mewtwo is just the pre-order bonus.

The idea of a GS Ball movie does make me excited, but who knows. It didn't happen in 2001 for whatever reason and by now it's unlikely to meet my expectations.

Last edited:
If Let's Go Johto happens (I hope so), I hope they definitely bring back Crystal's Battle Tower, and hopefully expand it to have many more NPCs and much more varied teams.

Last edited:
I'd be all for a 'Let's Go Johto' set and I feel the partners/mascots should be Marril and Snubble, the first two Johto Pokemon that were introduced as teasers in the Pikachu's Vacation short.
I'd really prefer that wild battles were reimplemented, however.

They might become optional, but I don't see the Go capturing mechanics going anywhere. They pretty much define Let's Go.

I think it would be a nice compromise if some wild Pokemon were stationary like Snorlax/Electrode and you could battle them before the capture sequence. Basically, a boss Pokemon for every route that respawns.

I'd be all for a 'Let's Go Johto' set and I feel the partners/mascots should be Marril and Snubble, the first two Johto Pokemon that were introduced as teasers in the Pikachu's Vacation short.
They might become optional, but I don't see the Go capturing mechanics going anywhere. They pretty much define Let's Go.

I think it would be a nice compromise if some wild Pokemon were stationary like Snorlax/Electrode and you could battle them before the capture sequence. Basically, a boss Pokemon for every route that respawns.
Another compromise I could see being a thing is for an assist-mechanic similar to Pokémon Ranger:
  1. You use your party Pokémon to do various effects based on their type
  2. Certain effects benefit the capture rate of the opposing Pokémon based on their behavior (like movement patterns), the location you catch them at, and maybe even based on type advantages!
  3. The EXP. Share would divide the EXP. rate of your party based on participation/assists:
    1. Those who participated get a 1.5x boost compared to normal EXP growth, while non-participants (those who weren't used to capture the Pokémon) only get half the experience they would normally get.
    2. If none of the Pokémon assisted in capturing the wild Pokémon, all EXP. growth is evenly distributed and only boosted based on the standard Let's Go level up.

Granted, I though this sort of thing should have been in Let's Go to begin with, but better late than never!

I'll absolutely take it as optional alongside the GO capture mechanics as long as it's there.

I just had a relatively simple idea that would solve the wild Pokémon dilemma. For Let's Go Johto, they should just give us 3 options, when facing a wild Pokémon:

- if you press "Battle!", you engage in a Pokémon battle with the wild Pokémon, and you can't capture it anymore. You can either wear its HP bar down, use an item, or run.

- If you press "Capture!", you engage in the Let's Go capture system that we have in LGPE and you can't battle it anymore. You can either attempt to catch it, use an item, or run.

- If you press "Run!", you run away.

I wouldn't mind that (although I'd never use the battle option), but it wouldn't satisfy those who want to catch Pokemon the old-fashioned way.

I guess I am speaking from my own point of view, but what bothers me personally, about the LGPE wild Pokémon system, is that you can't battle wild Pokémon for experience. I don't want to clutter boxes and boxes with Pokémon that I don't wanna use, only so I can gain the experience that I could simply get by defeating them. It is a lot less time consuming.

Ok, so I know a lot of people weren't too keen on my "the Togepi you normally get from Mr. Pokemon is now your partner idea", but no matter how it happens Togepi would be perfect for the role just because of how it could handle secret techniques.

They could all be some sort of variation of its Metronome move. So Sky Dash could be reworked into some kind of warp for sure.

And for cut, rock smash, etc. you would hear a finger snap and the object in front of you would slowly disintegrate ;)

Hey, I raised the Metronome idea first. That would make Togepi comparable to Eevee, while Marill would make do with its two types.

I guess I am speaking from my own point of view, but what bothers me personally, about the LGPE wild Pokémon system, is that you can't battle wild Pokémon for experience. I don't want to clutter boxes and boxes with Pokémon that I don't wanna use, only so I can gain the experience that I could simply get by defeating them. It is a lot less time consuming.
Wouldn't a more robust rematch system address that? It's unlikely that you would have to grind in the main story, and no one uses wild Pokemon for experience in the post-game (certainly not in the Johto games).

I know that these are just games, but the morality of "let's defeat a wild Pokemon for points" is very iffy. At least trainer battles are like sports.

Wouldn't a more robust rematch system address that?
Tbh, yeah, the rematch system is my main issue with Let's Go. If there were at least one or two NPCs that you could rebattle on every route, I wouldn't care about battling wild Pokémon for experience. But those trainers should be able to be rebattled constantly, like how the VS Seeker worked. No restrictions to how often you can do it.

As for the morals of battling wild Pokémon for experience, my main issue always was more "causing pain to your future partner". You know, attacking a Pokémon, paralysing it, burning it, weakening it, etc. and then catching it. Like, how will that Pokémon ever trust you, after what you did to it? That's why I much prefer the LGPE way of catching Pokémon.

As for the morals of battling wild Pokémon for experience, my main issue always was more "causing pain to your future partner". You know, attacking a Pokémon, paralysing it, burning it, weakening it, etc. and then catching it. Like, how will that Pokémon ever trust you, after what you did to it? That's why I much prefer the LGPE way of catching Pokémon.

I always thought that the explanation was almost the same as trainer battles. Wild Pokemon enjoy battles too; and respect your strength as a trainer. This leads them to obey and trust you. The friendship increasing mechanics only help further.

That joke went over my head.

Anyway, if Marill and Togepi do end up being the partners, I assume they'll discard the original egg plot and make the egg hatch in Prof. Elm's lab right away. It might mysteriously appear in the player's room or maybe outside where Silver was.

I always thought that the explanation was almost the same as trainer battles. Wild Pokemon enjoy battles too; and respect your strength as a trainer. This leads them to obey and trust you. The friendship increasing mechanics only help further.
That's what the Canalave Library would have you believe, but I don't buy it. In the anime, captures usually have quite a bit of build-up to them and the battle (if there is one) is just the seal of approval. While the games can't feasibly accommodate this except for isolated events, it wouldn't hurt if the player did something to befriend a wild Pokemon before starting the battle. Go captures are far from perfect, but at least throwing food is a nicer gesture than causing temporary harm.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

Last edited:
People assume that Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee mean these titles will be something like, Togepi/Marrill, etc.
Forgetting that through all Gen 1 iterations the mascots have been the starters, in all other generations it's been legends.
Therefore I think the starter will be Togepi hatched from an egg in either version but the versions will be called Let's Go Ho-oh and Let's Go Lugia.

Although if they wanted to hark back to Gen 2 the original artwork for breeding had a Togepi egg and an Elekid egg.
So they could go with Elekid after all, would keep the Electric/Normal balance from the first two games and both Elekid and Togepi are part of 3 stage evolution lines, first evo by happiness, 2nd evo a Gen 4 add on with a new method.

People assume that Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee mean these titles will be something like, Togepi/Marrill, etc.
Forgetting that through all Gen 1 iterations the mascots have been the starters, in all other generations it's been legends.
Therefore I think the starter will be Togepi hatched from an egg in either version but the versions will be called Let's Go Ho-oh and Let's Go Lugia.

Although if they wanted to hark back to Gen 2 the original artwork for breeding had a Togepi egg and an Elekid egg.
So they could go with Elekid after all, would keep the Electric/Normal balance from the first two games and both Elekid and Togepi are part of 3 stage evolution lines, first evo by happiness, 2nd evo a Gen 4 add on with a new method.
I think the problem of using Elekid is that it is not a well-known Johto Pokémon like Togepi, Marill or even Snubbull.

I think the problem of using Elekid is that it is not a well-known Johto Pokémon like Togepi, Marill or even Snubbull.

Agreed, personally I think the Togepi egg will be the starter in both.
The johto starters could then be available in

Chikorita - National Park
Cyndaquil - Burned Tower
Totodile - Whirl Islands

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom