• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst mega evolution design?

TapLover

Reaction score
No one saw this coming... But I felt like doing this

I'd rather say Mega Latias, cause they reused the EXACT same design as Mega Latios, so they're both blue but different movesets. Maybe the designer has on drugs?

I'm actually not a fan of Mega Gyarados. I get why it's design is that way, but it takes away lot of the intimidation factor when his upperpart looks like a balloon.

Mega Latias and Mega Latios are like nice designs. I just think they took the lazy way out by making them look identical.

And while I love Mega Tyranitar, I think it would look better without that long horn on its head.

My least favourite Mega Evolution is definitely Mega Lopunny, despite the fact that I like Lopunny itself, because it just looks boring and ugly compared to normal Lopunny.

No one saw this coming... But I felt like doing this

I'd rather say Mega Latias, cause they reused the EXACT same design as Mega Latios, so they're both blue but different movesets. Maybe the designer has on drugs?

So why not hate Mega Latios if they are the same to you?

In all seriousness: they belong to the same species and have genders. So it actually makes sense to give them similar (since they are not exactly the same) Mega Evolutions.

Mega Charizard X
It's a cool design, and the Charizard line is my favourite from Gen 1, but it's just unfair to give it 2 megas.
If I were loyal to the Bulbasaur or Squirtle line, that would bug me a lot.

I have a lot of minor gripes about several Mega evolutions...
Mega Charizard X: The flames around the mouth and black (shiny green) base color.
Mega Houndoom: The upturned horns.
Mega Aerodactyl: Needs to shave that goatee.
Mega Mewtwo X/Y: Just because it's Mewtwo.

But my worst mega design goes to Mega Manectric -- take this guy to Frisier Furfrou and give his body a shave, he NEEDS it. Manectric had a lithe, sleek silhouette but the excessive fur on his mega ruins it. Also, he loses the iconic foot tufts.

Last edited:
I want to say Mega Swampert (to me it follows some of the design decisions that led to the wayyy overdesigned Rhyperior) but I'm not a huge fan of Swampert's design to begin with, and actually the more I look at it the more I'm like "Eh, it's not that bad." So, I guess, in the end I've got nothing. None of them are that bad to me.

Mega Tyranitar feels the least inspired to me. I think it, more than any other, can be reasonably accused of just adding lots of random spikes to a design that was already sufficiently complete. Most of the other Mega Evolutions have at least some rooting in the Pokémon's established profiles, even if it comes at a bit of a stretch (for instance, Swampert was always recognized in the Pokédex for its strength, but visually it never seemed especially muscular). And Mega Tyranitar kinda... looks like it's wearing a life jacket? That being said, I do like the head spike, and how that ties it back to Larvitar's design.

Also, while I get the idea behind most of Mega Heracross's aesthetic design choices, I don't understand why its fighting style suddenly becomes concentrated on Skill Linked projectiles? I would think that becoming a more overt Hercules beetle would amplify its raw physical strength, not cause it to suddenly develop a specialization in techniques that Heracross can't normally make much use of.

Mega Tyranitar feels the least inspired to me. I think it, more than any other, can be reasonably accused of just adding lots of random spikes to a design that was already sufficiently complete.

Mega Aerodactyl says hello, but I do get what you're saying.

Thinking it through there were actually a few that irked me, including Aerodactyl, Heracross, and Lati@s. But the piece de resistance of badness has to go to Mega Glalie. I didn't particularly care for Glalie's design to begin with, but the wide open mouth looks awful and the Pokedex entry makes things even worse.

Salamence, Heracross, Scizor, Aggron, Manectric, Lati@s, Garchomp, and Mewtwo all have ugly Megas.

Mega Manetric and Sharpedo
God... Where do I even start. Mega Manetric’s fur just looks sooo clunky and awkward on it. It bothers me so much ugh I feel uncomfortable just looking at it lol.
And Sharpedo... They just abused the poor thing. Cut him up and stuck a bunch of knives in him. Poor thing.

the mega evolutions that look worse than their normal forms are mega heracross, mega latios, mega latias, mega mewtwo x, mega aggron, mega swampert, and mega metagross. There are other mega evolutions that I dislike, such as mega lucario, but those ones at least manage to look better than their base forms. Mega steelix is kind of in a gray area for me; while I somewhat like it, the protrusions from its jaw look bad, so I'd say I somewhat prefer its base form despite the crystals and hexagon markings looking cool.

Mega Charizard Y: it's essentially a slimmer, gaunter Charizard as far as its design is concerned. Not very dynamic or creative.
Haha, I actually like Charizard Y being slimmer. The wingarms are a bit odd, I'll give it that, but I still prefer its design over Charizard X.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom