• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your ideas for new Abilities.

lordfridge

Welcome Home, Good Hunter
Reaction score
I think it would be interesting to have an ability where your Pokemon always awakens from sleep in the next turn. Would make for some interesting tactics.

Also, an ability that makes it a little less likely to misbehave when traded to a lower-level trainer.

Last edited:
I think it would be interesting to have an ability where your Pokemon always awakens from sleep in the next turn. Would make for some interesting tactics.

Also, an ability that makes it a little less likely to misbehave when traded to a lower-level trainer.

I don't think the first one is very likely since you have Early Bird which wakes Pokémon up faster and abilities (like Insomnia and Comatose) which essentially prevent sleep.

I like the second idea. It couldn't be on fully evolved Pokémon, maybe Hidden Ability on the Basic Stages of Three-Stage Pokémon, but it is a fun concept.

I want to see more abilities that have field effects as well.

Night Vision--Field Effect: Don't Need Flash to Light Caves, Battle Effect: All Moves Are 100% Accurate, but Accuracy Dropping Moves (that effect the eyes) are Double Effective
Pheromone--Field Effect: Pokémon Appearances Rates are Tripled (Increase SOS Calling as well, like Adrenaline Orb), Battle Effect: Opposite Gender Pokémon of Same Egg Group Have 75% Chance to Become Attracted Each Turn, While Same Gender Pokémon of Same Egg Group of 75% Chance to be Confused

If I think of others, I will add them

a ability that the pokemon when falls asleep transforms into a monster stronger then Wishiwashi only during the time it sleeps.
Could learn self inducing sleep moves maybe even a damage dealing one.
Could be woken up with other moves by oponents.
____
abilities that add increased priority to pokemon:
  • using head based moves
  • using sound moves
  • using slash and sword moves
  • rolling moves
  • magic, mythical , sacred moves
____
abilities that make the pokemon immune or block moves of this groups:
  • slash , bite, fang , sword, cut, blade moves (everything that works like swords, scizzors and cuts)
  • full body smash moves: head moves, recoil damage moves that hit will full body, tackle, flame wheel, full body priority moves like aqua jet,
-sound moves but one that send them back to the oponent with extra damage(for a uniqe dual typing , maybe rock/normal or rock/???)
-pulse and beam moves
-steel
-fairy
-poison
-flying
- moves with rock, ground, earth, sand, mud in their names(also water type ones)
-blocking oponents SE moves that get stab from typing when oponents attacks (bug/psychic)
-blocking oponets moves that arent of the oponents type (dark/psychic; ghost/normal)
____
shedinja like abilities:
-immunity to all special moves without relation to types (dragon/ghost skeleton)
-immunity to all physical moves without relation to types (dark/psychic panther)
Both would need enough points in hp , speed and the "weak stats" to survive hits because the special/physical spectrum is much wider then the type spectrum and they would be a too easy target.

-immunity to SE moves a reversed wonder guard(rock/ghost)
___
  • ability that when user is trapped by oponents move or ability then transforms and changes form into a big strong beast
  • ability that hurts the oponent every turn if the user is trapped by a oponents ability or move
  • ability that neutralizes terrains when enterring battle
  • ability that makes the oponet recive the same damage the user does from him or itself(ghost/fighting vodoo doll with many hp)
  • ability that absorbs and destroys entry hazard and gains hp when entering battle
  • ability that physical contact has 30% switching the oponents out
  • ability that when entering battle causes the oponent to get trapped and loose one turn to move but then the next turn the user can't move
  • ability to change forms when terrains change (terrain based castform, maybe with ground or rock type)
  • ability to restore hp everytime when oponent uses healing or shielding moves
  • ghost/water type with ability that when burned becomes fire/water type but when frozen becomes a ghost/ice type, when paralyzed become electric/water, also could transform when weathers and terrains change. (or when attacked with a move that will change it's form making it immune to fire, water, ice, ghost, electric... the ghost typing could be changed with fairy if something... or something in that sort)
  • ability that when entering battle you cause the oponent to switch out
  • ability when oponet want's to switch out himself or you then he gets seriously damaged instead

Last edited:
Maybe a Magic Bounce/Snatch combo: whatever status moves the opponent uses will work, but will be copied.

E.g. X uses Spikes=Y uses Spikes

X uses Bulk Up=Y uses Bulk Up

It would need to be a very gimmicky pokemon as to not become too OP.

Invisible- when entering battle the pokemon is hidden from the oponents sight. Chance of beein hit is halved. When taking damage or getting a status condition becomes visible, moves that always hit and never miss come in hand (Shadow Punch). Hope more pokemon could get this bc then it would be harder to predict. A chameleon, some ghosts , bugs, fairies, shapeshifters, squids come in mind and others. Most Sound and wind moves would hit them.

Last edited:
Suppression - when meeting a oponents pokemon in battle the user causes to disable the oponents strongest move for 3 turns before they exchange their respective moves. (good for ghost, psychic, electric, imagine you battle a Talonflame with Flare Blitz and Brave Bird, that both moves have 120 power and are it's strongest ones, then both moves would be disabled for 3 turns)

The same effect could be done as a status move or a damage dealing move with 30% chance of this occuring. Blocking the oponents strongest move before it could be even used would make strategical sense. Could see sound, electric, ghost and psychic and fairy getting this kind.
__

Soul Wall- after fainting the user leaves a barrier for 5 turns that reduces all damage by 50% and heals pokemon on its side by 1/8 hp every turn.
__

Sound generator- the user when entering battle activates the last sound move that was used during the battle as a extra turn move before even attacking.
____

Voodoo doll- the user gives "every" damage (hp change) that gets also to the oponent. ( fighting/ghost with 80 hp, 70 all other stats , speed 30 and would learn Curse, a perfect sweeper counter bc most sweepers are low on hp)
Pokemon with Mold Breaker are protected from this effect.
__

Last edited:
Suppression - when meeting a oponents pokemon in battle the user causes to disable the oponents strongest move for 3 turns before they exchange their respective moves. (good for ghost, psychic, electric, imagine you battle a Talonflame with Flare Blitz and Brave Bird, that both moves have 120 power and are it's strongest ones, then both moves would be disabled for 3 turns)

The same effect could be done as a status move or a damage dealing move with 30% chance of this occuring. Blocking the oponents strongest move before it could be even used would make strategical sense. Could see sound, electric, ghost and psychic and fairy getting this kind.
__

Soul Wall- after fainting the user leaves a barrier for 5 turns that reduces all damage by 50% and heals pokemon on its side by 1/8 hp every turn.
__

The first idea is interesting, but it would only be able to work on one move. Disabling two simultaneously would be unfair. Even with the move Disable, you can only do one at a time.

Soul Wall is an idea I like. Seems fitting for a Fairy-type. Maybe a mythical one. Hidden Ability for Diancie.

Also, opponent has two Ps.

The first idea is interesting, but it would only be able to work on one move. Disabling two simultaneously would be unfair. Even with the move Disable, you can only do one at a time.

first one yes but this is a ability... Abilities should be cool also it would make that this pokemon would not need disable and could have other moveset.

What dual type would be weak enough to need something like this instead of disable... also it makes perfect sense. Only three turns oponent can switch out pokemon. Bug/psychic, Bug/dark, grass/psychic??? Imagine that... two moves bc both have the same power 120, it's a rare case but makes sense disabling them both.

I have been working on a Trick Room team and I am surprised that there isn't more support for it. like:

Ability: Mind Trick-Trick Room Becomes Active When Pokémon is Sent Out
-Item: Trick Switch: Extends Trick Room to Eight Turns (like Damp Rock, Heat Rock, Ect)

Also, as common as Entry Hazards are, I am surprised that there aren't Abilities for them:
-Booby Trap- Randomly Sets Spikes, Toxic Spikes, or Stealth Rock when Pokémon Enters (Ninja Theme Pokémon)
-De-Activate-Eliminates All Entry Hazards Upon Entry

I have been working on a Trick Room team and I am surprised that there isn't more support for it. like:

Ability: Mind Trick-Trick Room Becomes Active When Pokémon is Sent Out
-Item: Trick Switch: Extends Trick Room to Eight Turns (like Damp Rock, Heat Rock, Ect)

Also, as common as Entry Hazards are, I am surprised that there aren't Abilities for them:
-Booby Trap- Randomly Sets Spikes, Toxic Spikes, or Stealth Rock when Pokémon Enters (Ninja Theme Pokémon)
-De-Activate-Eliminates All Entry Hazards Upon Entry

I though about a pokemon that not only would drain entry hazards but gain from them type or something while entering battle and then the moves of that type could heal it... could work great with entry hazards and terrains. If it would be normal typed then it could absorb electric terrain and toxic spikes and become a electric/poison pokemon immune to poison and electric attacks. When there would be no terrain it would be part ground always, normal/ground, if with toxic spikes, poison/ground and so on. Ig no ground then normal/steel.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom