• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

I don't understand people who insist that Japanese dubs in video games are superior and that English dubs are 'trash'.

I get that some English dubs aren't perfect, especially in earlier video games. But come on... I don't buy it that Japanese dub voices are supposed to be better. Out of curiosity, I was watching a trailer for this RPG dating sim that is supposed to release in the west and had kept the original dub. And one of the characters starts speaking in this high-pitched, bubbly moe voice that is just grating to the ears. My initial response was "Please never speak again."

How is this any better? It's ridiculous at best.

I get that some English dubs aren't perfect, especially in earlier video games. But come on... I don't buy it that Japanese dub voices are supposed to be better. Out of curiosity, I was watching a trailer for this RPG dating sim that is supposed to release in the west and had kept the original dub. And one of the characters starts speaking in this high-pitched, bubbly moe voice that is just grating to the ears. My initial response was "Please never speak again."
This is how I feel sometimes with dubs, too. If there's something I'm grateful in the dubs I watched in Latin America, is that most of the times they remove those high-pitched voices. Sure, they sometimes miscast people (like Lillie's voice actress, who sounds like a 20-year old) but at least they are listenable.

The exception I seem to recall is with mascot voices, which are still high-pitched no matter what, like Jibanyan from Yo-Kai Watch.

Another example I can think of a dub voice being better than the original one is with Tsunade from Naruto. While I played the English games she had a voice that sounded fitting for her. While I played the Japanese games she sounded exactly like Naruto's VA, which was weird and extremely unfitting in my opinion.

Games based off movies and anime can be fun and sometimes I like them more than some AAA games. Indiana Jones, Star Trek, and One Piece games come to mind as some of my favorites.

I like Ronaldo Kuriki in Devil Survivor 2, while Airi Ban is my least favorite character and I find her annoying. I also find DeSu2's story to be better than DeSu1's story. (though I still love the first game as well)

I actually kind of liked Peri in FE Fates.

The idea for a choose your path style game for FE is neat, but Fates went about it horribly. I wouldn't mind IS to try at it again in a future installment, but please don't make them separate games when it could've been all on one cart from the get-go (and not make it SE only). At least Three Houses kind of looks like it does that, but with a Black Clover esque house alliance instead.

Lucina imitating Marth was fine at first, but now still seeing her in that "disguise" again in some official artwork is getting annoying. Especially when people are/still compare them.

Ranulf is the best laguz in the Tellius duology.

Forsyth >>>>> Lukas in terms of best knight unit in Gaiden/SoV. Both are equal in personality though, in that I like both. Though Forsyth's design is way better in Gaiden than SoV.

A recent one since this game was just announced, but I'm very excited for the Persona 5 Scramble game, I've wanted a Persona Musou game for a while now anyway and I'm glad this is happening. People are just overreacting too much over P5S not being a Switch port.

A recent one since this game was just announced, but I'm very excited for the Persona 5 Scramble game, I've wanted a Persona Musou game for a while now anyway and I'm glad this is happening. People are just overreacting too much over P5S not being a Switch port.
A Persona Warriors game? I'm in.

I don't know if this is still an unpopular opinion, but I actually liked the Pokemon sprites in Silver and some of them were better than Gold's.

I love Yosuke and Ryuji from Persona, and hate Chie and Ann (at least, people tell me these are unpopular opinions)

That's an unpopular opinion? I thought Ryuji was a super popular character.

I haven't played the game yet but from what I've seen Ryuji definitely looks like he'd be my favorite, so...

That's an unpopular opinion? I thought Ryuji was a super popular character.

I haven't played the game yet but from what I've seen Ryuji definitely looks like he'd be my favorite, so...
The hate for him is actually not as bad now as it was before in the western fanbase, though I do find it hypocritical how Yosuke and Junpei (kind of) were more liked than Ryuji even though they share the same archetype (not exactly sure how Eikichi is received though). I know in Japan he is the least popular character due to him being loud and stands out, it's similar to how Ann is least liked in Japan as well for her standing out from the norm. Nowadays I'm not sure how the JP fanbase reacts towards them, though lately some seemed to have warmed up to them with some others now more indifferent towards them if JP Twitter is anything to go by.

As soon as the new FF7 Remake trailer was shown, I knew there were going to be people complaining about the lack of turn-based battles and how everything is now in real-time.

And frankly, nobody ever stops to think that maybe the reason why so many developers have dropped turn-based battles is because the modern gaming demographic has moved on. Now no lie, I would actually prefer a return to traditional turn-based battles with ATB systems. But I also realize that the system has aged in this time and day. I would say a lot more younger gamers these days are more used to quicker gameplay, which is honestly not a bad thing.

And to be perfectly honest, I do get how older games feel slow and sluggish. At one time I was able to play an entire playthrough of FF1 with no trouble at all and fairly enjoyed it. But after I played the FF SNES games, and then decided to return to FF1 for a second playthrough, I found the gameplay without the ATB system to be really slow and not fun. I was only able to get as far as the dwarven village before I became bored and lost interest.

Maybe instead of blaming the developers for simply following current trends, maybe we should actually be looking at ourselves? Just sayin'.

As soon as the new FF7 Remake trailer was shown, I knew there were going to be people complaining about the lack of turn-based battles and how everything is now in real-time.

And frankly, nobody ever stops to think that maybe the reason why so many developers have dropped turn-based battles is because the modern gaming demographic has moved on. Now no lie, I would actually prefer a return to traditional turn-based battles with ATB systems. But I also realize that the system has aged in this time and day. I would say a lot more younger gamers these days are more used to quicker gameplay, which is honestly not a bad thing.

And to be perfectly honest, I do get how older games feel slow and sluggish. At one time I was able to play an entire playthrough of FF1 with no trouble at all and fairly enjoyed it. But after I played the FF SNES games, and then decided to return to FF1 for a second playthrough, I found the gameplay without the ATB system to be really slow and not fun. I was only able to get as far as the dwarven village before I became bored and lost interest.

Maybe instead of blaming the developers for simply following current trends, maybe we should actually be looking at ourselves? Just sayin'.
There's also the problem that FFVII itself has not aged that well. Typos were common, spells have different names than what modern FFs use (early installment weirdness), the Popeye arms, that time Cloud spoke totally radical, the whole Miss Cloud scene, the fact that you take an eternity to learn spells, etc.

Maybe it really needed that update.

People are too blinded by their nostalgia, unfortunately. Which is exactly another problem I have with all this. FF7 is a timeless classic, but as you said, it does have glaring flaws. If people seriously expected SE to do nothing but remaster the original game, then they're seriously kidding themselves. They need to give it a total revamp if they want it to be a 2020 AAA game.

This is why games like Ocarina of Time and FF7 are hugely overrated to me. They're good games but they're far from perfect.

As long as they keep Cloud crossdressing in the remake, I really don't care what else they do with it. I've wanted a FFVIII remake more than I did VII anyway, but that's not happening anytime soon.

Anyway:
Most shiny Pokémon I find to be really ugly, only very few I do like but otherwise I don't bother with shiny hunting.

Cirno is one of the most overrated Touhou character, I used to like her but now I'm very indifferent to the character. Also her 9-ball meme got old with me very fast.

I really like Teddie and Morgana in Persona 4 and 5 respectively.

Speaking of P5, I'm glad that P5 Royal didn't add a optional female character. I liked it in P3 Portable, but I just love Akira/Ren too much as the main character in P5 I don't think I would've ever come to love any hypothetical female protag. (also is it just me or did Kasumi look like she could've been a fem!protag but they scrapped her later on to be a party member instead? Her Phantom Thief design looks like a female variant of Joker's, and her being transferred to Shujin the same time as Akira/Ren just screamed her being a female option)

Jake should be brought back as Anna's boyfriend/fiancé in future FE games.

Xane should've been brought back, or at least mentioned, in FE Awakening.

There needs to be more male manaketes in FE that aren't enemies, old men, or laguz (as they are different from manaketes). Xane, Nils, and male Corrin are great (and I guess male Kana and the other possible male child female Corrin can have, if you so choose), but I want to see more in future games since most playable manaketes are female, hoping Three Houses has one. (also I'm not including Roy since his game came before his father's, and you can choose who Eliwood's potential wife can be anyway).

I did not play FFVII in my childhood (I didn't even get a Sony console until the PS2) and am playing FFVII for my very first time right at this moment, so I know I may differ from those who are nostalgic for it. With that said, I have not at all been unhappy with any of the changes I'm seeing for the remake. In fact, it hypes me up so much that Square-Enix is going all out and giving this a full modern reimagining.

Being a Nintendo fan for so long, I've grown tired of stagnant remakes like OOT/MM3D. I crave fully reimagined remakes for the modern era. If I wanted something as conservative (and OOT/MM3D are so conservative they play like they're just remastered ports), I'd just play the original, and in this era, with so many rereleases of classic games, the originals are easily available on the same, modern consoles/platforms for those who prefer it that way.

Games cost so much these days. Releasing a conservative remake of a game from over 20 years ago at full price is just too much for me. FFVII Remake sure as heck looks like a $60 game. Does Link's Awakening's remake? I'm sorry, but no. It looks pretty, but it's just... Link's Awakening with a pretty graphical effect.

I could go on and on about that, but actually I want to touch on specifically the turn-based battle system, which I personally am not enjoying a whole lot in FFVII. Don't get me wrong, I think it is well done. I think that it has some neat mechanics that I haven't seen in other games, but I just can't help but feel like it's very daunting and is one aspect that has made me take the game slower than I'd like. I am not yet to the point where I have magic that can hit multiple enemies at once, and the running away from battles system in FFVII is so strange I have yet to even figure it out, so every single mob of enemies I run into, I have to face. It drains so much HP with every battle, and it takes forever. I prefer just straight-forward action. I feel like sometimes turn-based battles don't stress me out much (like in Pokemon), but in FFVII it just does for some reason... So the FFVII remake being action battles is actually something that looks so much better, IMO.

... I don't bother with shiny hunting.

Same, though. I think it is neat to have shinies, but grinding so hard to get them just takes away from that to me. To me, I find it neat to think of the idea of the extremely slim chances of running into a shiny when I play the game. One I got through any other method would just feel forced and lose how special it is.

I am not yet to the point where I have magic that can hit multiple enemies at once, and the running away from battles system in FFVII is so strange I have yet to even figure it out, so every single mob of enemies I run into, I have to face. It drains so much HP with every battle, and it takes forever. I prefer just straight-forward action. I feel like sometimes turn-based battles don't stress me out much (like in Pokemon), but in FFVII it just does for some reason... So the FFVII remake being action battles is actually something that looks so much better, IMO.
Correct if I'm wrong, but doesn't magic work the same way as most other FFs were you can both single and multi-target? And don't you run away with R1 and L1? I have not played in so long that I feel weird asking those questions.

Also, on the remake issue @Aulos, I guess it depends with what's better for the franchise. Changing most things can work in FFVII since there are things that really need to be changed (specially for the international translations because they failed harder than the English one), but it can also backfire terribly. The Lufia II DS remake changed so much things that it failed.

On the other hand, a conservative remake can also bring back attention to a franchise, like with Crash and Spyro. Crash and Spyro games post-Wrath of Cortex and The Year of the Dragon were of mixed quality, and Spyro is even just an extra in his newest series, so the only way they could have been saved was remaking the first games.

Correct if I'm wrong, but doesn't magic work the same way as most other FFs were you can both single and multi-target? And don't you run away with R1 and L1? I have not played in so long that I feel weird asking those questions.
You can hit all enemies on the field if you have an All Materia, without it then nope. One materia itself will only be able to hit one target and of course if a spell calls for it (Ultima, Comet2, certain enemy skills).

Also yes you do run away with L1 and R1, not sure what it is for playing with a keyboard though.

You can hit all enemies on the field if you have an All Materia, without it then nope. One materia itself will only be able to hit one target and of course if a spell calls for it (Ultima, Comet2, certain enemy skills).
I only have one more question: Why??? That sounds like a step back from every previous FF with the exception of the first one since they allowed you to hit everyone without any extra things.

SquareSoft: Let's take full advantage of equippable items that TEACH BASIC COMMON SENSE.

Actually that critique might work better for FFVIII seeing as basic commands are attached to the junction system. These games really have a way of making the protagonists look like idiots in battle. Part of the reason why I prefer FFIX's. It just made a lot more sense. But yeah, FFVII's battle and Materia systems have really not aged well whatsoever. The people who want them to stay exactly as they are are blinded by nostalgia.

But yeah, see, this is also why SE added in 'cheat' features in these games to try to streamline them for newer players. FFVII does have cheats where you can disable enemy encounters and all that. Except it's kind of hidden.

Speaking of nostalgia blindness, I wonder how many people who hated Yooka-Laylee took a look back on Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64 and wondered if maybe those games also suffered from the same problems. (I know that DK64 was itself its own beast of a basket case.) There were some problems with YL that were new to it, and I do get the criticisms that Playtonic may have lost their touch in designing a good 3D platformer. But I also have to wonder if some of the common problems with it are actually attached to the genre itself.

Back
Top Bottom