• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
What plot holes? Ignoring the dub, the only thing that arguably didn't make sense was the tears, but even that nicely tied into Ambertwo's death scene. I am not sure how resurrection was handled better in other movies (even using a Pokemon like Xerneas is pretty cheap).
Actually, the tears were actually explained better in the Japanese version. The woman at the ferry port talked about them, while the dub changed her dialogue to something completely different. And let's say "flaws" rather than "plot holes".
Well, Celebi resurrected itself in the fourth movie if I recall correctly.
Actually, it was a group of other Celebi that traveled through time that resurrected it. I know one Pokémon fan from the internet who absolutely despises this twist (and the fourth movie in general), because it's a deus ex machina, and raises the obvious question of why didn't all those Celebi come to help when the forest was being torn down.

Actually, it was a group of other Celebi that traveled through time that resurrected it. I know one Pokémon fan from the internet who absolutely despises this twist (and the fourth movie in general), because it's a deus ex machina, and raises the obvious question of why didn't all those Celebi come to help when the forest was being torn down.
Well, seeing how Celebi can time travel I always assumed they were the same Celebi but from different points in time. Doesn't take away that it actually is a Deus ex Machina. On the other hand, the movie might have inspired Pokémon Colosseum and XD, so that's a point in favor for me.

Well, seeing how Celebi can time travel I always assumed they were the same Celebi but from different points in time. Doesn't take away that it actually is a Deus ex Machina. On the other hand, the movie might have inspired Pokémon Colosseum and XD, so that's a point in favor for me.
Pokémon Colosseum and XD were filled with Johto Pokémon, including Celebi, because they were absent from the first two sets of Generation III games and were needed to complete the Pokédex in those games.

Pokémon Colosseum and XD were filled with Johto Pokémon, including Celebi, because they were absent from the first two sets of Generation III games and were needed to complete the Pokédex in those games.
I was talking about certain aspects, like the Pokémon that used the Masked Marauder being similar to Shadow Pokémon and the fact that he could snag Pokémon. The Outskirt Stand is also similar to a place in the movie.

My thoughts on the movie manga:

-The Rocket grunts cameo seems more like a manga thing. I doubt they will do 15+ models for a couple of seconds cameo.
-A Giovanni vs Mewtwo battle would be quite cool, the only time he's battled has been in BW and...Mewtwo returns (?). I'd like to see Gary's battle being expanded too, as he hasn't appeared outside fantasies in almost 10 years.
-An overview of Misty and Brock makes sense, as it would milk nostalgia for a while and would make clear the relationship between Ash and them for little kids. I have my doubts on Daisy & co actually appearing though.
-Hopefully we'll see more of Bulbasaur and Squirtle's friendship. I'm not surprised to see Donphan, if a new Pokemon was to appear we'd likely know right before the movie.
-Cultural reference replaced with something generic. Classical 2010s remake. At least there won't be chances of them doing the football reference.
-Are the scientist the narrators of the manga? That would explain them surviving.

I normally don't even bother buying the movie manga volumes, but I think I might purchase this one when it gets translated by Viz. I like the small changes in the manga, such as the Donphan trainer's slight redesign and the flashbacks to Misty's sisters.

Information courtesy of Dephender

A new trailer has been confirmed for tomorrow's Oha Suta.

B-Rappers Street episode 7! A fight over a second serving of school lunch! A sudden rap battle?!
Sneak Peak! Hyperspeed Calendar! features the world premiere of a Pokémon movie trailer!
Intense Corocoro news!
Maji de! Majime-kun! Live Action: Majime-kun tries the super difficult art of replicating a one-panel gag!
Try it all Oha: The hosts try their hand at another Oha Suta Sports Day!!
Aim to be a rapper! The Oha Rappers Academy!! Let's have fun learning to rap!

MC: Hana-chan
Regulars: Aic Nuwara, Kaminari, Abareru-kun, Ryogo Matsumaru and Noa Fukuzawa
Oha Girl from Girls: Kurea Masuda
Guest: Fire Tachibana
B-Rappers Street Voice Cast: Subaru Kimura, Daiki Hamano, Kaede Hondo and Takuya Nakashima

Get hype.

Finally, the "no trailer between April and July" curse has been broken. With a movie of this scope it was necessary.

This could be the same trailer that was attached to Detective Pikachu (which nobody uploaded a summary of (n) )

The one attached to the end of Pokémon Detective Pikachu was pretty much the same as every other trailer up to that point with only one or two extra shots added.

They promoted the Mewtwo Balls by showing 20-30 seconds of related footage. I wish they hadn't called it a trailer.

Yeah. Without the requirement of having to be tied in with the current series has allowed the plot, character, and settings to be more creative.
Movie 1 greatly benefited from the Giovanni connection, and many movies weren't hindered at all by being set in the regular continuity (I can think of about five that utilized Ash's companions much better than Movie 20 did). If anything, Movie 21 felt more refreshing because it was written by someone with no prior ties to the franchise, and the director being different helped, too.

Actually, the tears were actually explained better in the Japanese version. The woman at the ferry port talked about them, while the dub changed her dialogue to something completely different.
It's actually the other around: The dub added the part about the tears, while originally Voyager only talked about the storm. The dub addition is kind of a cheap way to foreshadow the climax, to be honest (albeit not quite on the same level as the Sammy Oak twist). Young Mewtwo's tears are much subtler, as Amber implies that Pokemon aren't supposed to cry unless they're in pain (which isn't the case for Mewtwo or the Pokemon in the climax), making their tears special in some way to be seen.

Last edited:
"They" didn't, as far as I can see. The word "trailer" only seems to appear in summaries of the translated text, which itself opted to use the word "footage" over "trailer."

Last edited:
Since we still know so little about this movie, I still haven't gotten over being surprised that this is a CGI anime. Not that I have anything against CGI, it's just unusual. My best guesses are either that they think this is the only way to get a wide international release, or they want an obvious way to distinguish this from the original.

Now I'd like to see a fake English trailer for Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution that looks like every terrible American animated movie trailer ever, complete with impressions of celebrities.

Movie 1 greatly benefited from the Giovanni connection, and many movies weren't hindered at all by being set in the regular continuity (I can think of about five that utilized Ash's companions much better than Movie 20 did). If anything, Movie 21 felt more refreshing because it was written by someone with no prior ties to the franchise, and the director being different helped, too.
I see...
It's actually the other around: The dub added the part about the tears, while originally Voyager only talked about the storm. The dub addition is kind of a cheap way to foreshadow the climax, to be honest (albeit not quite on the same level as the Sammy Oak twist). Young Mewtwo's tears are much subtler, as Amber implies that Pokemon aren't supposed to cry unless they're in pain (which isn't the case for Mewtwo or the Pokemon in the climax), making their tears special in some way to be seen.
Oh, sorry. Misremembered. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom