• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing today's direct, the Galar region will not have regular sports events. In fact, those stadiums are actually the regular gyms of this region. Meaning the new female lead will most likely be not be a sports girl. But I hope that the big, muscular grass type gym leader we saw in the trailer will be one of Ash's new companions. He has such a unique design and looks overall like a loveable, jolly character. His design reminds me of Lana's. They both have freckles and the same designed eye shape.

I still can see the art style of Sun and Moon been taking over to Sword and Shield. If you want to have fluid animation, the designs of the characters have to be simple. If people really want action-heavy battles, the artists and animators kinda need to make the designs of the characters simple like in S&M.

I still can see the art style of Sun and Moon been taking over to Sword and Shield. If you want to have fluid animation, the designs of the characters have to be simple.

For some reason I can only envision M21's art style for SwSh, seems like a match made in heaven to me.

Also looking forward to how Dynamax will be handled in the anime.

For some reason I can only envision M21's art style for SwSh, seems like a match made in heaven to me.

I can see the art style and animation from Pokémon the Movie: The Power of Us working well with the Galar region, but it would also be very hard for the animators to pull this off. Animation, especially 2D is difficult to pull off, especially for a whole season. We will see how they handled the art style when the first trailer will drop. I just hope it will be as good and fluid like the animation of S&M. If it will be as stiff as in OS, AD and sometimes also in DP, BW, and XY it would be a step back.

A new feature is the Rotom Phone, which is quite literally a phone inhabited by a Rotom. Pretty much confirmation that Rotom will come with Ash to Galar if you ask me.
Yep. It's confirmed that RotomDex will return in the anime, but I don't think that it fits a more battle heavy series.

A new feature is the Rotom Phone, which is quite literally a phone inhabited by a Rotom. Pretty much confirmation that Rotom will come with Ash to Galar if you ask me.

It'll be the one to provide the needed gag in SwSh I suppose (sigh...)

If it will be as stiff as in OS, AD and sometimes also in DP, BW, and XY it would be a step back.

Your opinion.

Wouldn't bother me to be honest. Rotom Dex wasn't really an annoying character for me but also not one that hooked me either. I wonder, if only Rotom will go with Ash if at least one of the former characters as well. Very unlikely, since they do not fit with the Galar region's theme at all. Besides Lillie. Maybe she will go with Ash if none of the new female characters of the region fit the style of the anime. So far only the female playable character fits the concept of a female companion.

Last edited:
Rotom is also going to fulfill the HM Slave's role. The oh so sym(pathetic) Rotom with its mellifluous voice will probably be brought over to Galar...

Some explicit SM continuity in SwSh, hooray...

Wouldn't bother me to be honest. Rotom Dex wasn't really an annoying character for me but also not one that hooked me either. I wonder, if Rotom will go with Ash if at least one of the former characters will go with him. Very unlikely, since they do not fit with the Galar region's theme at all. Besides Lillie. Maybe she will go with Ash if none of the new female characters of the region fit the style of the anime. So far only the female playable character fits the concept of a female companion.
I actually appreciate Rotom's role in the anime as it integrates more organically the mandatory dex entries, especially for older Pokémon.

The professor's assistant might be one of the new companions.
I'm sold.

The professor's assistant might be one of the new companions. Also, if rotomdex leaves alola with Ash, does it mean that SM and SwSh will be connected like OS-AG-DP and later BW-XY? Maybe same character designs? :eek:
Ash will most likely go with the female trainer rather than the assistant.

Come on, S&M isn't really that bad. People act like it is the worst thing that ever happen to the anime, but at least it tried to be something new for once and went true with the new concept and ideas it had. S&M is actually a good example in how the anime should handle its concept correctly. BW has a disaster, it was still fun to me, but could have been so much better, if they could have pulled it off and X&Y is only so popular because of all the fan service like the shipping and the overall "mature" tone.

Also, the female assistant looks way too old for a female companion like Ash. And she is also too tall. For the height of girl characters, Misty and Mallow are the maximum they will go. I can not see a female character been almost two heads taller than Ash. The anime seems to have a specific template for its female lead characters.

1. They have to be feminine. Even Iris and Lana, who are the most tomboyish of them, have a lot of girly character traits on them.
  2. They can not be too tall.
  3. They have to be young.

I do not think, that they will break the formula for the girl characters this time around. It could happen, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Ash will most likely go with the female trainer rather than the assistant.
Yeah. That's more probable.
Come on, S&M isn't really that bad. People act like it is the worst thing that ever happen to the anime, but at least it tried to be something new for once and went true with the new concept and ideas it had. S&M is actually a good example in how the anime should handle its concept correctly. BW has a disaster, it was still fun to me, but could have been so much better, if they could have pulled it off and X&Y is only so popular because of all the fan service like the shipping and the overall "mature" tone.
SM isn't really bad, I personally not quite like the character designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom