• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Stuck in the past

I do go back to replaying games often. Mostly the Gen V ones.

I tried Platinum but never finished it because the game is goddamn awfully slow, and I'm currently playing Y but because of the story not existing, I'm not so fast with that one either.

BW and BW2 I've replayed countless of times though. I do plan on playing the gameboy ones again at one point, but I'm not sure if I could do that since I'm so used now to stuff like the physical and special split.

I didn't know what physical and special moves were til gen iv, and I've played since gen 0 lol.

Kind of. I've played most of the main series, but they come and go (within like two weeks) and the only ones I keep revisiting (via hacks, because they aren't perfect) are the first two generations.

Technically I'm stuck in Unova... so stuck there that I moved to its real life equivalent lol I also have mostly played hacks of older gens or new content based around them.

I've dabbled in the new gens from other people's hardware and playthrough videos, but that isn't quite the same as going through an experience yourself. The 3DS generation is a lost one for me, or at least feels that way.

Kinda. I feel like when Gen VII came out, there was this massive shift towards appealing to those who left the series long ago by pandering to their nostalgia. Things like Pokemon Go and LGPE only soured it more for me, as well as Alolan Forms. And I just feel like GameFreak doesn't really care as much about their longtime fans, who have kept up with ALL of their games, not just stopped after Red/Blue. We'd like to see other generations get more spotlight, like Johto, Sinnoh, or Unova, which feel like they were left in the dust.

I'm a bit stuck in Gen IV myself (HGSS are my favorite games, and I love the Pokemon following you feature so much), but I absolutely adore Gen V as well, because it's like Gen IV. It has awesomely-animated sprites that are honestly more expressive than the 3D models and a great story for its first two games.

Don't get me wrong. I adore Sun and Moon for another fantastic story, and X/Y added some of my all-time favorite Pokemon, so I definitely like them. And I have always wanted Pokemon to be in 3D. But I feel like... I dunno. Pokemon kind of lost a little something in this transition regardless.

Last edited:
Kinda. I feel like when Gen VII came out, there was this massive shift towards appealing to those who left the series long ago by pandering to their nostalgia. Things like Pokemon Go and LGPE only soured it more for me, as well as Alolan Forms. And I just feel like GameFreak doesn't really care as much about their longtime fans, who have kept up with ALL of their games, not just stopped after Red/Blue. We'd like to see other generations get more spotlight, like Johto, Sinnoh, or Unova, which feel like they were left in the dust.

I'm a bit stuck in Gen IV myself, but I absolutely adore Gen V as well, because it's like Gen IV. It has awesomely-animated sprites that are honestly more expressive than the 3D models and a great story for its first two games.

Don't get me wrong. I adore Sun and Moon for another fantastic story, and X/Y added some of my all-time favorite Pokemon, so I definitely like them. And I have always wanted Pokemon to be in 3D. But I feel like... I dunno. Pokemon kind of lost a little something in this transition regardless.

I'd like to see Orre make a comeback. If Orre had contests and modern mechanics XD & Colo would be best games ever IMO (and even still they're deffo in my top 5).

I'd like to see Orre make a comeback. If Orre had contests and modern mechanics XD & Colo would be best games ever IMO (and even still they're deffo in my top 5).
Are Contests more important than having more areas to explore and Pokemon to choose from?

As someone that has replayed both games a lot, it's not exactly true.

Idk, I personally never felt like I was wanting for either, but my gamecube broke a few years back so maybe I'm just nostalgic.

Idk, I personally never felt like I was wanting for either, but my gamecube broke a few years back so maybe I'm just nostalgic.
Yeah, for example, Colosseum only had 48 Shadow Pokémon + Plusle and Ho-Oh. XD has 80-ish Pokémon + 9 wild Pokémon, Elekid and the Johto starters, so it fared better there, except that a little less than half the Pokémon where obtained at Citadark Island. The are also pretty limited, with three cities in Colosseum and 5 in XD, and you travel to them automatically instead of exploring on your count. Colosseum also had the problem of only allowing you to save at PCs, which is annoying.

I guess it's just a case of a game that was perfect at the time, but now looks kinda limited.

For me, the DS era is the golden age of Pokemon, with Platinum being the very peak.
HG/SS, B/W, and B2/W2 are all excellent games as well. These four are only four Pokemon games I replay from time to time. I like the visual style in all of these, as well.

X/Y was a huge jump off a cliff. I can't believe Game Freak made something as special as Black 2, then made a big letdown in X/Y.

Sun/Moon was decent and better than X/Y, but still not holding a candle to those top four for me.

After looking at the recent Sword/Shield direct, the 3DS games now just feel like awkward transition point between 2D and 3D. Never probably gonna touch them after the new games come out.

Yeah, for example, Colosseum only had 48 Shadow Pokémon + Plusle and Ho-Oh. XD has 80-ish Pokémon + 9 wild Pokémon, Elekid and the Johto starters, so it fared better there, except that a little less than half the Pokémon where obtained at Citadark Island. The are also pretty limited, with three cities in Colosseum and 5 in XD, and you travel to them automatically instead of exploring on your count. Colosseum also had the problem of only allowing you to save at PCs, which is annoying.

I guess it's just a case of a game that was perfect at the time, but now looks kinda limited.

It was at the least the best of its time. 1st 3D poke with story.

It was at the least the best of its time. 1st 3D poke with story.
True. Again, it has the problem of feeling dated thanks to how fast Pokémon advances. I guess the games would have been better if they waited for Gen IV, since I feel that the updated moves and the Physical/Special would have helped it more. Also, make the routes explorable, not just teleporting between areas.

I can't agree with the notion that Platinum was the peak of the DS generation. B2/W2 had way more content than Platinum had and imo, an overall better storyline. Or do people mainly praise Platinum because it had a Battle Frontier... ? It's totally that isn't it.

I have so many copies of Gen 3, 4 and 5 games. It's quite... the obsession.

I have played the entirety of X, Sun and Ultra Sun, and there really isn't anything that makes me want to replay them from the beginning. Although in Ultra Sun if I never indulged Rotom at all, he'd actually shut up in the post game, but... nah. Omega Ruby is my favourite 3DS game, but I weirdly prefer the Gen 3 games. Possibly because you really have to work to get things in Gen 3, lol.

Incidentally, I have many DS Lites. Bit of a collector of them, apparently. So yeah, having the Dual Slot, that's kinda my main Pokemon device.

I can't agree with the notion that Platinum was the peak of the DS generation. B2/W2 had way more content than Platinum had and imo, an overall better storyline. Or do people mainly praise Platinum because it had a Battle Frontier... ? It's totally that isn't it.
For me, Platinum is no.1 and B2W2 is no.2.

In my opinion, Platinum had the better region to explore, the better starters. It has the better batch of pokemon (though I really like gen 5's pokemon as well). Difficulty curve is best of any pokemon game. That postgame on the island (the extended team galactic arc, catching heatran, battle frontier, and your own damn villa you can furnish).

Gen 4 also retains the vs.seeker (trainer rematches) and pokeball seals, along with the underground as well.

B2/W2 is a very close second for me, though. It has the better graphics (though both look good), animated sprites, seasons, World Tournament and dynamic music, and more over Platinum. I love both games (along with Heartgold/SoulSilver and Black/White, which are third and fourth for me).

For me, the Golden Age of Pokémon goes from FRLG to BW2. With the 3 peaks of the franchise being Emerald, HGSS and BW2. And then Platinum as well, but slightly less. I am constantly replaying Pokémon games, but it's always just the the ones from the Golden Age.

The only new Pokémon game I am excited about, is Pokémon Masters, but for now it is a very conditional, preliminary excitement, depending on how gacha the game is really gonna be.

Dynamaxing has been a huge turn-off from SwSh for me. It's a good example of what is wrong with newer Pokémon games imo.

Last edited:
I'm all caught up, but Unova never left me.

Unova lives in the hearts of us all.

Hugh. Just Hugh. He's part of the reason I don't like jerk rivals.

Hugh isn't a jerk though. He's a really nice and sweet guy, he just gets very furious about people treating their Pokémon badly because of what happened to his sister's Purrlion. (which in result, makes him furious against Team Plasma.)

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom