• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I'm finally ready to start writing this fanfiction... but I can't think of a name for my protagonist. She's a young girl from Hoenn who becomes a Torchic, and she's feisty but good at convincing people to change their minds.

when in doubt, use a name generator until you find one that kinda fits

Cxu iu cxi tie lernas alian lingvon, aux cxu gxi estas nur mi? | Is anyone here learning another language, or is it just me?

well, i used to be learning spanish on duolingo about a year ago, but now i've been absent for so long that i'm pretty sure the owl will crawl out of the screen and peck me to death the moment i go back on the site

when in doubt, use a name generator until you find one that kinda fits
I tried to do that earlier, but I wasn't happy with what came up... so I'll try it again. Thanks.

EDIT: I used the Springhole first name generator, and the result I liked the most was Imogen. It's a nice name that I don't see very often, and it kind of sounds like "imagine".

EDIT2: I'm also worried that I'm stuck with this fanfic again. The original idea was born from a sudden mental image I had and I came up with a character around it; now, I've transplanted the premise into a different setting with a different protagonist, and the ideas aren't flowing as easily.

Also, I have a French ab initio mock exam tomorrow.

Ah but Canis, you're already fluently bilingual! Props, btw. Let me know if you ever get back on duo, I'll friend ya. At some point I'll start learning a third language and who knows, it might be Spanish (or German, or whatever, idk)

Good luck with your mock, Nitro!

i think i pretty much think in english nowadays - if i'm specifically thinking in words, that is, i don't think i do that too much. i don't go out a lot and i basically have no friends, so i have way fewer interactions in finnish as opposed to english, which is what i use online, and it's the language almost all media i consume is in. i think i only really think in finnish when it comes to very basic situations i've been familiar with since birth, like "i wonder what the time is" or "i'm hungry".

dunno, but now i know i'll be thinking more about the way i think now that you brought attention to it.

I'm not nearly adept/sperta enough in Esperanto to actually think/pensi in it, but I'm getting there. I've been doing/faris so much/tiom da of it lately that my brain is starting to randomly chuck up Esperanto words/vortojn instead of English/Anglan ones. Ask me again in six months/demandu min denove post ses monatoj.

Today was decent. Got a good feeling about tomorrow.

Another tidbit of news/discussion: anyone watch Sense8? I'm only doing so for the first time now. It's a great show imo. It has a lot of elements that appeal to me, and strong vibes from a lot of shows I've liked before. We watch a lot of Netflix, this is just the show of the fortnight...

I thought you were talking about a regional variant, and then I rewatched the trailer and realised you weren't. (I've never been a fan of this "must go in blind" culture.)

Yeah, of the two legendaries, I prefer the Sword one, but overall I'd rather play the game with more exclusives I'll actually use than one that'll look better on the box.

So far, still not sold on the starters particularly, but the other pokemon all look good, and I'm loving the look of the world and environments. I'm now very hopeful about this game, all things considered.

I don't know if I'll play it, but I might make use of some Galar species. Since I have no intention of allowing Galar to horn in on my Very British Johto (Which we all know I write), I'm toying with the idea of populating Misho with some Galar species

I'm starting to regret changing what the Beautifly story was a crossover with now, since the original version was one of the few fanfic ideas I've had where I was absolutely certain who to focus on and where to go within a few days, and now that I've changed it, I'm more stuck for ideas (and they keep changing constantly), possibly because I'm not as passionate about the new thing it'll be a crossover with. This might have something to do with how I keep feeling compelled to rush stories I'm going to post on Fimfiction, but not any other website.

learning other languages is fun.

I'm close to fluent in German. Like, I'd survive in a completely German environment, but Id still struggle a decent bit. I'm currently taking Spanish for my major (gotta take a foreign language for an English degree, talk about ironic) and it's been going well so far

It feels like whenever I want to write a longform, serialised fanfic, I feel the need to go ask people what they think of my ideas on a forum before I start writing them, which just slows me down. I'm going to stop doing that.

saw a really neat reddit post for flags for different regions; thoughts?:
ufu4fm9oxb331.png

You know, I was just toying with vexillology the other day (In short, wondering what a flag for The Long 'Verse's Middle Kingdom of Kanto-Johto wouild look like). The Alolan one looks rather like something a Polynesian nation might come up with
Yeah, I like that one and the sunless namibia Hoenn one the most as far as realism goes, although I gotta admit the Kanto one looks really slick.

A couple years ago, I toyed around with making flags for every country and region that was ever mentioned in Land of the Roses. Interesting, Lanark (where the story is set) was the only one that didn't get a flag design for some reason.

OzwTTPi.png

They're not strictly flags by size and shape; I was making these graphics for an ill-fated atlas that sought to put some details behind all of those throwaway country names. It was pretty fun coming up with these designs though, I should probably do something with them. Especially that blue one, which was meant to be Unova and feature an attempt at recreating New York's state flag.

Details of what's what (and real world equivalents) can be found here, but I admit it's not a particularly interesting list.

Regarding those specific ones above... I'm trying to figure out any of the symbolism on any of them and I'm not coming up with much. The best I can think of with the colored stars on Kanto's flag is the legendary birds. Same with the feathers on Johto, I guess, but the rest? Doesn't look like anything with any particular meaning.

Back
Top Bottom