• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Pokémon do you associate with a non-debut region?

Kallyle

Starwalker Neo
Reaction score
Basically, which Pokémon do you think fits a species or evolutionary line more than its debut region does? For me, I tend to associate the Bellsprout and Slowpoke lines with Johto despite them debuting in Kanto.

I can't put it through my head that Munchlax is a Sinnoh Pokemon, not a Hoenn Pokemon. I didn't even really watch the Hoenn anima,e, except for a few episodes, and I was not playing the games at that time. For some reason I just see Munchlax and I'm like "Gen 3 Pokemon"

This happens to a lesser extent with Lucario, seeing as Lucario's debut movie was during the Gen 3 movies. My brain does sometimes say that Lucario is from Hoenn, but most of the time I know it's from Sinnoh. IDK why I have been able to fix this one and not Munchlax though.

Slugma, Murkrow and Houndour are Kanto Pokémon for me. On the other hand, Jynx, Lickitung, Mr. Mime and Farfetch'd are Johto Pokémon to me.

I can't put it through my head that Munchlax is a Sinnoh Pokemon, not a Hoenn Pokemon. I didn't even really watch the Hoenn anima,e, except for a few episodes, and I was not playing the games at that time. For some reason I just see Munchlax and I'm like "Gen 3 Pokemon"

This happens to a lesser extent with Lucario, seeing as Lucario's debut movie was during the Gen 3 movies. My brain does sometimes say that Lucario is from Hoenn, but most of the time I know it's from Sinnoh. IDK why I have been able to fix this one and not Munchlax though.
I think it's because Munchlax was the poster boy for Gen IV. It was the first Pokémon revealed, had the most cameos, and it took GF a lot of time to even reveal early DP pics. In fact, I think we didn't even have Sugimori artwork for it at the time. Now that I think about it, they never told us why Gen IV was delayed...

I used to believe Togepi was a Generation I Pokemon, since it debuted in the anime very early.

I don't so much think of regions as much as Gens. Gen 1 always comes to mind whenever I think of Marill and Snubbull.

My boi Meltan is a Gen 1 Pokémon. No, you can't change my mind. :cool:

This is a very obscure one, but I always sorta forget that the idea of Corphish originating from Kalos is just my deductive headcanon and not official information. The Pokédex only ever says that it was brought from "overseas," but as I was looking at its encounter tables throughout the games one day, I noticed that, other than Hoenn (the region it was imported into), it appears in the wild in four regions - Sinnoh, Johto, Unova, and Kalos (and now Alola, but USUM hadn't come out yet by this point). In Johto, Corphish only appears in the Safari Zone, and the Pokémon seen in Safari Zones are very often from other places (with its HGSS Pokédex entry affirming this). And despite Corphish's propensity for fast reproduction, it's not exactly populous in Sinnoh, either, dwelling exclusively in the two pools of water in Celestic Town, where it must be fished up with a Super Rod. And it only appears in Unova in two places - White Forest in BW (and all of those Pokémon are implied to have been brought by the visitors), and Striaton City in B2W2, which is after the Poké Transfer Lab had its fuck-up. Corphish didn't ever appear in Striaton in BW (not even in the post-game with the Super Rod), which leads me to believe that the Unovan population got there from either the White Forest visitor or the Transfer Lab accident. And even with Alola now added to the mix, its USUM entry again reiterates that the Alolan population sprang up from Corphish that were released by their Trainers and then started to reproduce.

All of which leaves Kalos, where it appears at Route 3 and the Parfum Palace with merely a Good Rod at fairly common rates, and where neither of its Pokédex entries are ones that mention its importation. Kalos is indeed "overseas" from Hoenn, and I always think back to those professional hedge-trimmers you can find on Route 4 that are tending to the parterres and use only Corphish in battle. So Corphish has a local application there (also, the three points on its head make me think of a crown, which is cute, considering its habitat at the palace - another place with a lot of neatly-manicured hedge patterns), and I could see the punks who hang out at the Lost Hotel liking Crawdaunt for its tough, brutish nature (indeed, one of them uses one).

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom