• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random battles are still in. They actually showed/talked about that during treehouse yesterday. You can even get random encounters in the wild area, alongside the overworld pokemon.
Not gonna lie. Actually glad about that. That overworld is too barren and...honestly, there are certain things about this franchise that I'm not too willing to let go of.

Quick question watching the gameplay long video (also the update to the website): While I see a nice ORAS throw back in the sneaking in the overworld does this mean random battles are a thing of the past?

That overworld is barren either way.

That aside, the raid battles, while not horribly amazing ARE new grounds tread for this franchise the mechanics seem pretty polished and dare I say, fun.

As for what seems to be a cutoff, I assume they'll either patch them all in down the line or make more titles (hopefully updating older versions this time for spread compatibility and not punishing players for NOT wanting to go after the shiny new toy) to obtain friends from the past (and start from scratch). From the roster of monsters shown off thus far it doesn't seem to be a complete and total Kanto wankfest. And let's hope GF is smart enough to keep it that way.

I want to see where they're going with that.

Random in the sense of walking around and suddenly being thrown in a wild battle seems to be gone, YEah. The only random bits is sneaking to the ! Point, but I guess at least part of the surprise will be gone, given that you can probably already know the Pokémon in the area at the time by looking at the ones in the overworld.

Some people thought that the traditional random encounters were still in by referencing the first trailer, but even that was probably an edited/old version of the sneaking towards the ! Point.

Wait now, I found this quote on a news article, so maybe I misinterpreted it:

While you won't see every Pokemon in the overworld--sometimes there will be an exclamation point indicating that a Pokemon is hiding--Pokemon won't just randomly attack you from the tall grass with no warning like in previous games.

Looks like there will kind of be random encounters? But not quite the same as before...

Butterfree line
Charizard line
Machamp line
Gengar line
Arcanine line
Seaking line
Onix line
Raichu line
Snorlax line
Rhydon line
Gyrados line
Ninetails line
Dugtrio line
Clefairy line
They have been confirmed, and I am pretty confident that we will have more.
There’s 34 total Pokémon in those lines, but 30 are from Kanto, since I consider Pichu, Munchlax, Steelix and Rhyperior to be from other gens.

I never said that Kanto Pokémon won’t be in a good number in Galar dex, or even at a bigger rate then other gens, only they not all 151 original ones will be in.

Wait now, I found this quote on a news article, so maybe I misinterpreted it:

Looks like there will kind of be random encounters? But not quite the same as before...
I thought it was like that since we only saw one reference to what seemed to be the traditional encounter in the first trailer, which also seemed to work like the ! Point encounter; and yesterday they didn’t show the old mechanic.

Honestly, I’m just glad that Wild battles and the old catching mechanic is back. I do wonder how it’d affect Nuzlocke challenges...as well as the whole concept of the Wild Area.

After giving this whole debacle some more thought, I decided to take into account everything Game Freak has said regarding the future of Pokémon and the Nintendo Switch. So far we have
  1. The exclusion of old species due to apparently taking too much time
  2. Trying to model everything from scratch
  3. A comment about how LGPE would be the engine basis of the new games rather than just reusing older stuff
  4. A interview about Game Freak wanting to focus more on other games.
All of these details tell me something interesting about this whole situation: Game Freak doesn’t want to be known as a one trick pony (only relying on Pokémon) and that the Pokémon franchise has gotten too big for Game Freak to handle. Because of this, Game Freak keeps cutting stuff from the Pokémon games and they’re pouring more of their efforts into other games since that gives them more freedom in regards to what they can do. The only reason we keep getting Pokémon games from them yearly despite this is because it’s their most successful franchise.

I no longer think this is due to laziness, nor do think this is some conspiracy to hold things back for a later title to milk $$$ from the consumers. This is coming across as Game Freak simply spreading themselves too thin due to pressure from the demands of the Pokémon fan base in contrast to what Game Freak actually wants to do. I think it’s time for Game Freak to pass off the torch to either TPCi or another studio, because what Pokémon is at its core and what Game Freak wants to do as a gaming company are becoming incompatible and negatively impacting both the company and the franchise as a whole. Yes, we may lose a little bit of the old Game Freak charm, but it is becoming increasingly clear that Pokémon is more of a burden to Game Freak than a blessing.

The only question is how can we get the torch passed to someone who won’t mistreat the Pokémon franchise…
I would never accept anybody but Game Freak creating the Pokémon creatures themselves. I just don't trust anybody but Game Freak to be able to create Pokémon that actually feel like Pokémon to me. So I wouldn't risk that aspect of the franchise being changed.

That said... I do think that Game Freak maybe should consider letting somebody else create the other aspects of their games (Region, Plot, features, side features, etc.) if they themselves don't feel like doing it anymore. Because I have to agree, they just do not feel as passionate about their games as they used to, imo.

I feel like Old Game Freak (Gen I to Gen V) used to create Pokémon games with the basic premise of "How do we make this game good?".

While Neo Game Freak's basic premise seems to have shifted to "How do we make this game surprising so people buy it?"

And I am honestly tired of them trying to surprise me. Because most of their surprises have been unpleasant for me personally. I would rather they give me what I want and expect, not something I don't want for the sake of surprise.

As long as the Pokémon creatures remain Game Freak's responsibility, I think I could consider the possibility of someone else creating the bulk of the games.

Last edited:
the new electric dog looks normal/electric or fairy/electric , nice hope for motor drive , thick fat or something maybe better?

the imp looks ghost, fairy, dark, poison hard to say now... poison/fairy with corrosion? possible? dark/fairy? possible.

Yamper (the dog) is pure Electric and has ability Ball Fetch: you get one of your failed Pokeballs back if Yamper is not holding an item.

So now that I've had awhile to digest this news, I can say I am less angry. But still disappointed, i did tweet at masuda and ohmori but it was a video of my living dex and a little passive aggressive thanks for wasting my time, but I don't feel I went over the top like some of the people threatening them.

I'm sure the games will atill be fun, but you have to admit its a big let down.

Hey guys, I got bad news for you.

If you look at the Galar pokedex, there's about a little over 140 pokemon right now (including Gen 1-7).

Doesn't that mean there won't be a lot of Gen 8 pokemon left?

For example, suppose the pokedex is 200, then that means only like 60 new Gen 8 pokemon.

Or, if the pokedex stops at 250, then that means ~110 new Gen 8 pokemon. But who's to say that the Gen1-7 pokemon are fully discovered?

Edit: hopefully the pokedex stops at over 250.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Galar dex has 500+ pokemon. We already have almost 160 old pokemon confirmed and 12 new ones and we are litterally at the second bunch of news.
Pokemon that appear because of the weather in the wild area + pokemon in max raids + pokemon that are in other places of Galar and not in the wild area + pokemon that only appear in the post game area (if there's one) ----> that's like a lot of pokemon possibilities.

Anyway, when I read the leak speaking about gym leaders challenges, I was kinda hoping those were actually sidequests, for example:
- Milo has you herding sheep pokemon named Wooloo, but Pamper, electric corgi pokemon, will startle them and send them rolling elsewhere.

I imagined this as going out of the gym in the fields looking for sheeps but apparently gyms works exactly like before. It's just a small maze full of trainers battles.

I would never accept anybody but Game Freak creating the Pokémon themselves. I just don't trust anybody but Game Freak to be able to create Pokémon that actually feel like Pokémon to me.

That said... I do think that Game Freak maybe should let somebody else create the games, if they don't feel like doing it anymore. Because I have to agree, they just feel very passionate about them anymore.

I feel like Old School GF used to create Pokémon games with the basis premise of " How do we make this game as good as we possibly can?". While Neo GF

As long as the Pokémon remain Game Freak's exclusive responsibility.
I disagree, because while not as big as not being able to import the full roster of Pokémon in SwSh, there were already other instances where features were cut off. And the problem with importing old Pokémon also happened with RB as well.

That’s not considering how sometimes the plot was...honestly dumb. Team Hydro and Magma’s plan are certainly in the bottom tier of idiotic ideas, but the way it worked in RB was also dumb in the sense that the opposite team was...good. It needed Emerald to fix it. DP had an horrible selection of Pokémon at release, with once again Platinum fixing the issue.

I do think an appeal to more casual fans is clear since XY, even if with SM/USUM they got better at it; it’s not just about being tired of making Pokémon games...which might be something that is felt by some devs, and it’s also natural. That’s why I think they should skip the annual releases and have more time to work on the projects, as well as different ones from Pokémon. Or hire people to create full fledged teams they can switch around projects.

Something I don’t agree with, and it’s something that I saw in other forums as well, is the criticism on GF wanting to update their models and animations.

I don’t think this is a wrong idea, and people actually said they wanted new animations, expecially for moves. The models of Pokémon also looks slightly different, and they might’ve improved their animations as well.

Does this justify the Home news? Absolutely not, because they could’ve just said that even at Home release you wouldn’t be able to transfer all Pokémon, but you’d have to wait for more updates. But I think wanting to update how Pokémon moves and looks like is a good idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Galar dex has 500+ pokemon. We already have almost 160 old pokemon confirmed and 12 new ones and we are litterally at the second bunch of news.
Pokemon that appear because of the weather in the wild area + pokemon in max raids + pokemon that are in other places of Galar and not in the wild area + pokemon that only appear in the post game area (if there's one) ----> that's like a lot of pokemon possibilities.

Anyway, when I read the leak speaking about gym leaders challenges, I was kinda hoping those were actually sidequests, for example:
- Milo has you herding sheep pokemon named Wooloo, but Pamper, electric corgi pokemon, will startle them and send them rolling elsewhere.

I imagined this as going out of the gym in the fields looking for sheeps but apparently gyms works exactly like before. It's just a small maze full of trainers battles.
There might be both, possibly.

I would never accept anybody but Game Freak creating the Pokémon creatures themselves. I just don't trust anybody but Game Freak to be able to create Pokémon that actually feel like Pokémon to me.

That said... I do think that Game Freak maybe should consider letting somebody else create the other aspects of their games (Region, Plot, features) if they don't feel like doing it anymore. Because I have to agree, they just do not feel as passionate about them anymore.

I feel like Old Game Freak used to create Pokémon games with the basic premise of "How do we make this game as good as we possibly can?". While Neo Game Freak's basic premise seems to have shifted to "How do we make this game surprising for people in order for them to buy this game?"

And I am honestly tired of them trying to surprise me. I would rather they give me what I want and expect, not something I don't want for the sake of surprise.

As long as the Pokémon remain Game Freak's exclusive responsibility, I think I could consider the possibility of someone else creating the bulk of the games.

I wouldn't mind the entire franchise being given to an entirely different company, Pokemon designs and all. I feel like Pokemon has the Elder Scrolls problem, in which the crusted old shell that is Bethesda has been making worse and worse games since Morrowinf (which, coincidentally, was their first). Pokemon needs some new blood.

Of course its a risk, but there's nothing to stop at least some of the old talent being rehired by the new company, especially if the split is amicable.

Tbh I want more Kanto pokemon like venonat, ponyta, krabby, nidoran, seel, and others that rarely make appearance in regional dex. But the absence of national dex makes me pessimistic because they're not very good in competitive compared to the staple and boring machamp, gyarados, gengar, crobat, etc.

Tbh I want more Kanto pokemon like venonat, ponyta, krabby, nidoran, seel, and others that rarely make appearance in regional dex. But the absence of national dex makes me pessimistic because they're not very good in competitive compared to the staple and boring machamp, gyarados, gengar, crobat, etc.
That's a good point, actually. Everybody is always whining about how Kanto mons benefit from "Kanto privilege" by GameFreak, but it's really just the same few iconic lines like Geodude, Tentacool, Zubat, Snorlax, the starters, Pikachu, Eevee, etc, who benefit from that privilege.

Every other Kanto Pokémon (like Seel and Dewgong being a good example, as you say) gets the exact same treatment like later generations' mons, but nobody ever defends them, because they happen to originate from Kanto.

I don't want to bring politics here, but it reminds me of how all white people are being unfairly grouped under the cringy "white privilege" buzzword... despite most of them not having any privilege lol

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it will, since its exactly what happened last gen.

Besides, I don't wanna complain. I personally dislike the fact that there are so few games that have Pokedexes restricted to just the new Pokemon at the time (its literally just gens I & V). If it were up to me, Galar would have ~150 brand-new Pokemon but ONLY those Pokemon, at least for these two games. I think saving old mons for a little later so GF can create more new mons each gen is a much better decision than having only like 70 new mons so the old ones can be included from the start.

No I don't remember that actually. What I do remember is people complaining the Pokemon formula was gtting a bit stale, and it would be cool if Nintendo mixed it up a bit, and then people being happy they did that with trials (tho tbh they are still basically gyms, it really wasn't a very big change).

Well that I can certainly agree with.

But you shouldn't ... ?
Wow the guts to tell someone not to be mad yet insisting their own opinions to others total crap... Everyone is allowed to voice their thoughts specially since we are paying costumers

I wont stop you for not wanting a full dex so dont stop me from voicing my frustrations about omitting at least half the pokedex

So for everyones sake stop saying we cant be mad

Its really funny seeing all those insults and backlash towards Gamefreak, while in reality, we cannot blame them, we can only blame ourselves, the fans, since we expect to see a Pokemon Game every year, so whats stopping the developers for half-assing the game if we are gonna buy it anyways.

If Mega Evolution and Z-Moves being replaced was a mistranslation, that pretty much confirms that every Pokemon capable of Mega Evolution will be in the games (Which is fine with me, since it means i can transfer over my trusting Shiny Glalie), same with Pokemon who have exclusive Z-Moves.

I would never accept anybody but Game Freak creating the Pokémon creatures themselves. I just don't trust anybody but Game Freak to be able to create Pokémon that actually feel like Pokémon to me. So I wouldn't risk that aspect of the franchise being changed.

That said... I do think that Game Freak maybe should consider letting somebody else create the other aspects of their games (Region, Plot, features, side features, etc.) if they themselves don't feel like doing it anymore. Because I have to agree, they just do not feel as passionate about their games as they used to, imo.

I feel like Old Game Freak (Gen I to Gen V) used to create Pokémon games with the basic premise of "How do we make this game good?".

While Neo Game Freak's basic premise seems to have shifted to "How do we make this game surprising so people buy it?"

And I am honestly tired of them trying to surprise me. Because most of their surprises have been unpleasant for me personally. I would rather they give me what I want and expect, not something I don't want for the sake of surprise.

As long as the Pokémon remain Game Freak's exclusive responsibility, I think I could consider the possibility of someone else creating the bulk of the games.
I don't know. While I do agree that XY seemed to lack certain things.... I feel that for this game, the devs seem really passionate. The game is on a much greater scale than others and they have not taken a break year since 2014. I feel they are passionate and working hard. I obviously don't have any proof so its just the way I feel.

Wow the guts to tell someone not to be mad yet insisting their own opinions to others total crap... Everyone is allowed to voice their thoughts specially since we are paying costumers

I wont stop you for not wanting a full dex so dont stop me from voicing my frustrations about omitting at least half the pokedex

So for everyones sake stop saying we cant be mad

I'm not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom