• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

KrspaceT

Reaction score
Sign the Petition

Sign the Petition

Yeah yeah yeah, online petitions. However the simple fact is that it is doing something, and that is always better than doing nothing at all. Also a few things

1: This issue is also in Japan, meaning that both sides of the Pacific are complaining.

2: Youtube downvoting is also a thing

3: Can Pokemon and Nintendo afford the controversy while Pokemon's the big Holiday title?

4: Mass Effect 3, anyone remember that?

Anyway, shall we try something other than complaining on internet forums about this one?

TRON 3 got cancelled, and fans did a petition to revive it. Four years later, the best we got is Disney stating they have plans for a possible live-action remake of the first movie (as if we're got enough already...), and the titular character being mentioned in Ralph Breaks The Internet and having his name appear several times in Kingdom Hearts III.

Nintendo and Game Freak would, by now, be aware of the backlash over the limited transferring given the official Facebook page had to delete and repost several times because of negative replies, especially if Japanese fans are just as angry as us. But at this early in development, with five months left until release, I don't get why people jump into conclusions when even XY and SM didn't have Bank access for the first three months, and RS and BW also went fresh initially.

TRON 3 got cancelled, and fans did a petition to revive it. Four years later, the best we got is Disney stating they have plans for a possible live-action remake of the first movie (as if we're got enough already...), and the titular character being mentioned in Ralph Breaks The Internet and having his name appear several times in Kingdom Hearts III.

Nintendo and Game Freak would, by now, be aware of the backlash over the limited transferring given the official Facebook page had to delete and repost several times because of negative replies, especially if Japanese fans are just as angry as us. But at this early in development, with five months left until release, I don't get why people jump into conclusions when even XY and SM didn't have Bank access for the first three months, and RS and BW also went fresh initially.

YOu should see Spacebattles, I'm probably among the less extreme people. I've also sort of declared about half the complainers impotent.....but that is just my own personal bugbears.

You should see Spacebattles, I'm probably among the less extreme people. I've also sort of declared about half the complainers impotent.....but that is just my own personal bugbears.
I feel the same with Spyro fans. Activision makes him the leading character of the Skylanders franchise, and they end up getting terrorist threats. Delay Spyro Reignited Trilogy by two months, and flame wars persist. And even when the game comes out and is well-received by most people, they'll still find an excuse to whine.

Other franchises have had moments where fans state they'll never forgive the creators/developers for, but with few exceptions (like Sanzaru's refusal to make a sequel to Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time), people get over them.

If anything, the controversy over not letting certain Pokémon be transferred into SwSh is tame by comparison.

It's not important to send your lvl 100 shiny mewtwo to every game to finish it ,but it's important to not do this to have fun

Yikes! If things are this bad, then you know that Game Freak and Nintendo screwed up. Unfortunately, the best they can do at the moment is to add a battle simulator to Pokémon Home since it doesn't sound like Game Freak has any intention of patching the other mons into SwSh. Game Freak better learn from this, or else they need to outsource the 3D modeling of Pokémon in the future.

Here's the issue that Game Freak has right now. Assuming there's no announcement of a patch(es) that will expand the Galar dex to include all previous Pokémon, then Sword and Shield will basically be the odd games out on the Switch in terms of Nintendo's big franchises. What I mean by that is, look at Zelda, Mario, Smash, and Splatoon, though Splatoon is new, relatively speaking. Zelda, Mario, and Smash went all out on their Switch games.

Breath of the Wild was an open world game, something that had never been done before in Zelda, with its only real criticisms being the lack of story and the lack of dungeons, something that looks like it will be corrected in the recently announced sequel. What was the result? It became the best-selling Zelda game in franchise history, and is still selling today. Super Mario Odyssey was, in some ways, a return to a form similar to Super Mario 64, but had several new mechanics such as Capturing opponents and using Cappy to attack as well. The world were also giant sandboxes and were all around fun to play with lots of callback to the past but still doing their own things. What was the result? It was the best-selling 3D Mario game in the franchise's history. With Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, everyone came back, with the only real complaint being that World of Light was not as story-driven and complex, gameplay-wise, as Subspace Emissary. Still, it was fun and what was gained, several highly-requested characters and the return of everyone else, far outweighed the cons. The result: the best-selling game in the Smash franchise.

Game Freak and Pokémon are competing against not just games on other consoles, but to an extent, they are also competing against other Nintendo games. People look at Mario, Zelda, and Smash and see how their creators are taking risks and using the hardware to the fullest they can and are not cutting corners. And those games are being rewarded with high sales. If Pokémon Sword and Shield cuts core content, and individual Pokémon, Mega Evolution, and even Z-Moves are seen by myself and others as core content (note that Megas and Z-Moves have yet to be confirmed to be fully cut as of this posting but the concern is there), then what will that say to potential buyers, especially when they can compare Sword and Shield to other games like Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? What if it does affect sales? I don't think Nintendo will be satisfied with Sword and Shield if it only sells 14 or 15 million copies. Heck, they may view 16 million copies as a disappointment. With how Nintendo's other franchises are selling on the Switch, I think Nintendo expects better from Pokémon. What happens if Sword and Shield only sell about what X and Y or Sun and Moon did? People do vote with their wallets. Look at Star Wars. Look at the reactions to this move not only here, but in Japan. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few days and weeks and, if nothing happens, what the sales for the game actually turns out to be.

It's not important to send your lvl 100 shiny mewtwo to every game to finish it ,but it's important to not do this to have fun
I have Bank, and about 500 in storage, but whenever I start a new game, I always begin fresh and independent, only using Bank to store rare and Shiny Pokémon for future generations. All my results will be added to Home when it comes out, regardless of if they're in the Galar Dex. Same goes with what I've caught in Pokémon GO.

If Pokémon Sword and Shield cuts core content, and individual Pokémon, Mega Evolution, and even Z-Moves are seen by myself and others as core content (note that Megas and Z-Moves have yet to be confirmed to be fully cut as of this posting but the concern is there), then what will that say to potential buyers, especially when they can compare Sword and Shield to other games like Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? What if it does affect sales? I don't think Nintendo will be satisfied with Sword and Shield if it only sells 14 or 15 million copies. Heck, they may view 16 million copies as a disappointment. With how Nintendo's other franchises are selling on the Switch, I think Nintendo expects better from Pokémon. What happens if Sword and Shield only sell about what X and Y or Sun and Moon did? People do vote with their wallets. Look at Star Wars. Look at the reactions to this move not only here, but in Japan. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few days and weeks and, if nothing happens, what the sales for the game actually turns out to be.
People keep on forgetting that there will also be an upcoming app where you get to challenge past trainers, so maybe Game Freak and Nintendo made that to help curb some of the damage and insure the left-out Pokémon won't be forgotten. And likewise, Pokémon GO continues to have faults, and Niantic is well-disliked, but millions of people still play it. They've clearly got plans for the future we're not aware of involving the 830+ Pokémon. They'd have to screw up real badly to cause everyone to jump ship and become the next Sanzaru Games.

I can only imagine if the galar dex contained all the pokemon except some legendaries .
We can do nothing but petitions and wishing that our rare mons are registred in the pokedex

I can only imagine if the galar dex contained all the pokemon except some legendaries .
We can do nothing but petitions and wishing that our rare mons are registred in the pokedex
Or we can politely inform Game Freak that if they're having trouble with deadlines, some of us would be glad to help them out in the future while they can focus on polishing the stuff in the regional dex. It might be too late for SwSh, but tht doesn't mean we can't help prevent future games from suffering the same fate. We need to offer our advice and services if we want to get anything done, not harass them and parade Internet petitions that almost never work. It's up to them to accept the help, but I think it's ultimately better than the outcries a good portion of the fandom is currently performing.

They don't need the fans' help (seriously). It's hard to see what the technical issues even are in this case (except for improved entry animations, I guess?), but there are plenty of companies that could have helped them in the past 3 years.

As for Home having a battle simulator, that wouldn't make sense. It isn't supposed to encroach on the main series' territory that much. Expect gameplay in the vein of Ranch and Dream World instead.

Last edited:
I'm almost kind of expecting them to announce patches for Sword/Shield and Pokemon Home sooner rather than later to calm down the backlash, especially if even Japanese fans are upset about this decision. Granted, I don't know if they could announce something like that right now. I don't know much about video game development, so I don't know how much time and data it would take to make all Pokemon transferable. Part of that also depends on how many older Pokemon are available in the first place. I don't know if the backlash is intense enough to affect sales for Sword/Shield already. As intense and negative as the backlash is already, I'm not sure if it's one of the worse controversies surrounding a video game I've seen before, but that could be another reason why they'd announce about future patches before the games come out.

I don't get why people jump into conclusions when even XY and SM didn't have Bank access for the first three months, and RS and BW also went fresh initially.
Because they’ve said that it’s going to be a policy for all games moving forward, and although there were plans to support bank with SM, there are no plans to allow non-Galar Pokemon into these games. It’s an ‘advanced’ version of the problem of LGPE reducing us to 153 Pokemon.

Everyone’s fun is subjective, so you can’t decide what makes someone have fun.
Just restrict transfers to post game if that’s the idea. After I’ve done playing my main game story and had ‘fun’ the way you want me to.

And if I want to have fun by having a fluffy team including Wooloo and Mareep but mareep isn’t in this dex? And other themed and competitive post game teams?

Because they’ve said that it’s going to be a policy for all games moving forward, and although there were plans to support bank with SM, there are no plans to allow non-Galar Pokemon into these games. It’s an ‘advanced’ version of the problem of LGPE reducing us to 153 Pokemon.
So you're saying that Game Freak has confirmed all games starting with SwSh will only have a limited amount of Pokémon? Such an idea like that would trigger the end of the franchise in a worst case scenario, so I doubt they'll permanently stick to this policy as we get through the 2020s.

Everyone’s fun is subjective, so you can’t decide what makes someone have fun.
Indeed. I find completing the dex the old fashion way by going around catching Pokémon and trading with my friends or online to be more fulfilling than transferring Pokémon from older games. Putting effort into it, and grinding for hours to get enough BP to evolve my Porygon or Magmar, is part of the fun.

Last edited:
So you're saying that Game Freak has confirmed all games starting with SwSh will only have a limited amount of Pokémon? Such an idea like that would trigger the end of the franchise in a worst case scenario, so I doubt they'll permanently stick to this policy as we get through the 2020s.
It’s what they’ve said according to interview translations...
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/bzl1wx/direct_translation_from_masuda_about_the_limited/

They don't need the fans' help (seriously). It's hard to see what the technical issues even are in this case (except for improved entry animations, I guess?), but there are plenty of companies that could have helped them in the past 3 years.
Here's the thing though; it's not that need the fans' help in general; Game Freak made it clear that the reason for excluding Pokémon is because they don't want to delay their games for too long. They could fix this by either having a longer development period or by expending their company. Because they seem adamant on yearly releases and like having a tight-knit group, this comes to issues such as the one we currently have and is most likely to carry out in the future. If they don't slow down or expand, they'll crash and burn. Also, it seems like this new policy only started because of the Nintendo Switch, so Game Freak didn't really need help back then.

As for the idea of fan support, I understand that Game Freak has the right to refuse such offers and advice and I am fully prepared for such a possibility. However, the idea of polite criticism and offering services from fans is still a lot better than insulting them and creating Internet petitions. It is also more constructive and more likely to sway Game Freak, even by small amount.

As for Home having a battle simulator, that wouldn't make sense. It isn't supposed to encroach on the main series' territory that much. Expect gameplay in the vein of Ranch and Dream World instead.

1. Would battles using Home really encroach on the main series given the circumstances? Remember, Game Freak is considering a limited amount of Pokémon in every game going forward. In the meantime, there's going to quite a few people who will want to transfer the Pokémon they put time and effort into breeding/using, quite a few of them being the target demographic who want to keep using their partners and favorites. If they transfer their Pokémon up there only to find out you can't use it whatsoever and they end up trapped for and unspecified amount of time, they'll be heartbroken (especially the kids in Pokémon's target demographic). Everyone's time and effort put into the games will have been mostly wasted if they can't battle with it, so having some sort of battle functionality with Pokémon Home sounds like a decent compromise in light of what we know.

2. I do expect something like Ranch and Dream World at the minimum; it's the very least they could do, so this better happen regardless of battle functionality. If we can't even interact with them, then there's no point in allowing all the Pokémon from Bank to migrate into Home.
I'm almost kind of expecting them to announce patches for Sword/Shield and Pokemon Home sooner rather than later to calm down the backlash, especially if even Japanese fans are upset about this decision. Granted, I don't know if they could announce something like that right now. I don't know much about video game development, so I don't know how much time and data it would take to make all Pokemon transferable. Part of that also depends on how many older Pokemon are available in the first place. I don't know if the backlash is intense enough to affect sales for Sword/Shield already. As intense and negative as the backlash is already, I'm not sure if it's one of the worse controversies surrounding a video game I've seen before, but that could be another reason why they'd announce about future patches before the games come out.
I'm 50/50 on whether or not I think this will happen. On one hand, Game Freak is currently in hot water about this decision, especially if this trend keeps going in future Pokémon titles. Game Freak is going to have a big dent in their wallets and leave an even bigger hole on their already-declining reputation if they choose to do nothing. I highly doubt Nintendo will be happy about that (especially in relation to the potential loss in revenue).

On the other hand, Game Freak still doesn't seem to want to update their games beyond bug fixes for some stupid reason, so I doubt they'd patch in any content for SwSh. In fact, it could get even worse and they decide to not even patch in simple bug fixes at the rate they're currently heading.

They need to patch stuff like in if deadlines keep them from having everything in at launch, but will they even bother?

However, the idea of polite criticism and offering services from fans is still a lot better than insulting them and creating Internet petitions.
The best way to get the point across is not to buy the games, although that's up to every person's preferences and not a boycott. Game Freak don't care about people offering help because that would mean hiring people with sketchy experience; there is no such thing as free help when it comes to a company. You seem to be telling others to help instead of doing that yourself.

they'll be heartbroken (especially the kids in Pokémon's target demographic). Everyone's time and effort put into the games will have been mostly wasted if they can't battle with it, so having some sort of battle functionality with Pokémon Home sounds like a decent compromise in light of what we know.
Home hasn't been promoted as a battle simulator and the very name implies something casual. You do realize that if all the Pokemon were playable in Home from the get-go, that would prove that Game Freak could patch them into SwSh in time for Home? It wouldn't be a good look.

The problem here is not 2-3 extra months, either. It's a new direction or policy change (take your pick): They want a smaller pool of Pokemon for SwSh and at least future initial versions.

Remember, Game Freak is considering a limited amount of Pokémon in every game going forward.
I just hope that was a mistranslation. Game Freak has to have plans for all Pokémon over the coming year, otherwise people will give up, the franchise dies, and by 2025, everyone would be avoiding it like the plague. Again, we're still five months away from release, so anything could happen. And by now, Nintendo would be aware of the backlash.

On the other hand, Game Freak still doesn't seem to want to update their games beyond bug fixes for some stupid reason, so I doubt they'd patch in any content for SwSh. In fact, it could get even worse and they decide to not even patch in simple bug fixes at the rate they're currently heading.

They need to patch stuff like in if deadlines keep them from having everything in at launch, but will they even bother?
They've patched bad and exploitable glitches in the past, so why would they leave SwSh all glitchy if they want good reviews? Even in LGPE, there was a repair patch when the games wouldn't connect with GO during the first Shiny Meltan event.

Home hasn't been promoted as a battle simulator and the very name implies something casual. You do realize that if all the Pokemon were playable in Home from the get-go, that would prove that Game Freak could patch them into SwSh in time for Home? It wouldn't be a good look.
The point of Bank was to hold Pokémon for future generations, and it looks like the same will go for Home. If there is a chance of DP remakes, it would be quite ridiculous to leave out Pokémon in the Sinnoh Dex because they can't be obtained in SwSh. Given it's still June, we should wait for more info on Home first.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom