• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough, and while I'm not too optimistic about that kind of game, I'd still be curious about it.

Fair. Also, Dracomon is in DMO. I'd also love more VictoryGreymon, personally, for example. There's just way too many cool Digimon tbh.

Yeah, I can understand that. It's a nice endeavor to dream about, but it's one that will take a lot of work to not only make happen, but balance it properly. Thankfully due to the fact that the older Digimon are added in increments that means they can be balanced by batch, which should help the process for them.

True, I forgot about DMO, it also got a new X-form in the new V-Pet now that I think about it. Also, agreed, there are so many Digimon that I'd love to see that are still MIA at the moment, and I'm hoping they'll eventually get their time to shine. Thankfully Habu has been digging deep for some underused favorites as I don't think anyone expected to see Arkadimon in HM until the cover leaked out, and he said he wanted to get those like Callismon in the future, so hopefully he'll keep it up.
Famitsu interview reveals no Mega Evolution or Z Moves are present in the games.
kek

『ポケットモンスター ソード・シールド』の“いま聞きたいこと”について増田順一氏、大森滋氏を直撃。「連れて来られるポケモンの話」にも言及!【E32019】 - ファミ通.com

「特定のエリア内におけるバトルで一度だけ、3ターンの間ポケモンを“ダイマックス”させることができる。なお、本作ではメガシンカや、Zワザは登場しない。」

"Pokémon can be Dynamaxed during 3 turns in specific areas. Also, in this game there aren't Mega Evolutions or Z Moves".

I can't say I'm surprised, Megas took a backseat to Z-Moves last generation so it makes sense that both are doing the same for Dynamaxing. Both will likely pop up in the next game though since by that time Dynamaxing won't need to hold the spotlight and thus it can share.

One can only hope the backlash affects them.
Best case scenario: They listen to the fans, realize that older fans still like the series and they really need to tip the scales a bit on who their main demographic is, and stop pulling stupid stuff like this because they think it's a good idea. They also space out games more and the schedule becomes more like Animal Crossing or Zelda, giving everyone time to rest and come up with new ideas.

Worst case scenario: Gen IX will now entirely be on phone and tablet and will have full Home integration. Because who has the time to catch 1000+ Pokemon on a console, right? Nobody does that! Too many people are glued to their phones now.

Dynamax will die next Gen.

Game Freak should stop thinking of gimmicks. That's their idea of innovation, introduce one-time surprises to try to hook people in, but leave everything else untouched or removed. And that says a lot about the company's expertise, experience and ability.

One can only hope the backlash affects them.
Pretty sure the point of the gimmicks is to help improve pokemon without just making cross gen evolutions. Which inturn would allow them to make more original pokemon designs. Megas, were a right way to boost some pokemon, but it was too exclusive. And even made some pokemon too strong I.E. M.Beedrill or Mawile. Z-moves was a step that at least made them accessible to any pokemon, but they can't really compete with improved poekmon. Now Dynmax is essentially best of both world. Boosting the pokemon while also giving powerful moves.

Ultra Beats are such a cool concept and they have among the most creative and interesting designs out of the entire lineup. I hope this when adds more and expands upon them instead of just ditching the idea and acting like it never happened. Because it would be really sad for Pokemon like Poipole and Blacephalon to literally only be in one game EVER.

Last edited:
I really don't like the fact that its just gonna be about 70 new Pokemon.
70 pokemon? Where did you hear that? Is that the interview thing that was like "we will surpass 1000 pokemon including forms"? If so, we have no clue what they count as forms - also, "over" 1000 does not mean exactly 1000

Or is this from a leak or something I haven't seen

70 pokemon? Where did you hear that? Is that the interview thing that was like "we will surpass 1000 pokemon including forms"? If so, we have no clue what they count as forms - also, "over" 1000 does not mean exactly 1000
The post says "This could mean about 70 new Pokemon" And by that we don't know if its less than X and Y or a little over X and Y. We don't know how much they really counted when it comes to forms, and we can be sure they're not adding 191 new Pokemon since it says including forms.

We know there's 48 Mega Evolutions and 18 Alolan Forms, which puts the total up to 875 counting them. We don't know if they're including alternate forms, so 70 added onto 875 leaves us at 945 Pokemon including Mega Evolutions and Alolan Forms. That leaves about 55 unknown variables unaccounted for.

Pretty sure the point of the gimmicks is to help improve pokemon without just making cross gen evolutions. Which inturn would allow them to make more original pokemon designs.

I think that ball got dropped somewhere...

Yeah, I can understand that. It's a nice endeavor to dream about, but it's one that will take a lot of work to not only make happen, but balance it properly. Thankfully due to the fact that the older Digimon are added in increments that means they can be balanced by batch, which should help the process for them.

True, I forgot about DMO, it also got a new X-form in the new V-Pet now that I think about it. Also, agreed, there are so many Digimon that I'd love to see that are still MIA at the moment, and I'm hoping they'll eventually get their time to shine. Thankfully Habu has been digging deep for some underused favorites as I don't think anyone expected to see Arkadimon in HM until the cover leaked out, and he said he wanted to get those like Callismon in the future, so hopefully he'll keep it up.

I can't say I'm surprised, Megas took a backseat to Z-Moves last generation so it makes sense that both are doing the same for Dynamaxing. Both will likely pop up in the next game though since by that time Dynamaxing won't need to hold the spotlight and thus it can share.
I would never even claim to know all Digimon so I absolutely look forward to see any Digimon that's new to me in a game I play, tbh, along with Digimon I know and like and want to see in games, too.

Eh, Game Freak will eventually drop Dynamax, too. Thinking concepts and ideas really through and evaluating them before implementing them and shipping the games is common practise for any kind of software development, but Game Freak knows better! Why spend all this time planning if you can slap a cool-sounding feature into a game to do something new and innovative, just to have an even better idea that's like the initial one, just improved! Drop the old one, do the new one. Who cares?

I'm going through older notes and basics to study well in advance for exams, computer science major here, and even just going over certain basics in practises that are like chapter 1 or 2 of a basics book are obviously ignored by Game Freak and while that's sorts infuriating, real life examples are always great to really memorise these things, so in a way I'm thankful.

One thing I hope about the next set of games is that they just give us all of the new Pokemon in these ones. Not 5 or 6 new ones like they did with USUM and the 2 new ones in LGPE. Like just put them all in the first set, that was stupid.

when i first saw a post on tumblr about the interview it didn't mention that the 1000 number includes forms.... got hype for a sec tbh

One thing I hope about the next set of games is that they just give us all of the new Pokemon in these ones. Not 5 or 6 new ones like they did with USUM and the 2 new ones in LGPE. Like just put them all in the first set, that was stupid.
That's assuming thet they made them all in one batch, and then cut some of them to use later.

How do we know it's not just ideas they came up with after they shipped Sun/Moon?

Yamper (the dog) is pure Electric and has ability Ball Fetch: you get one of your failed Pokeballs back if Yamper is not holding an item.

the in game trainer battle effect during trainer battles needs to be changed? Catches balls and brings them back? why not switching out when hit by a bomb or ball move and taking only 50% damage? would be nice or not?

They are right they can't pack every each pokemon in the games but maybe coding and storage technology will evolve in the next 5 years and then.
Im happy about the graphics, hope that the pokemon when avoiding moves or beeing immune to them will be more visible like the activation of starter pokemon base abilities.

Maybe they want us to focus on the new generation more too. Be patient. Sun and moon turned out good.

Last edited:
And then there was the problem with fans not liking the lack of old pokemon in Gen 5- they sure didn't repeat that again.

I doubt that had as much to do with fans not liking the idea so much as it did the fact that doing it required them to make 156 new Pokémon from scratch.

Ultra Beats are such a cool concept and they have among the most creative and interesting designs out of the entire lineup. I hope this when adds more and expands upon them instead of just ditching the idea and acting like it never happened.

They are for sure the best designs ever, but the "concept" of them is essentially "The effects of invasive species on Hawaii in Pokémon, writ large." So I wouldn't think the concept wouldn't really carry over to other locations anyway.

I wonder if any other beloved series had this happen?

Pretty sure plenty of big franchises have stumbled into huge controversies with lots of fan outrage.

I’m very annoyed by this decision, especially considering how they said that they would be aiming towards older fans with this installment. I will tell you this: that is not the way to do that. These older fans (including myself) have made tons of memories with their Pokemon so to tell them to leave them behind is just cruel.

That said, I do look forward to the new games although the graphics could look better. The new gym leaders and Pokemon look cool and the raid battles is an interesting concept. Hopefully, Game Freak can improve their faith with fans in time.

----> Some further details about Pokémon Sword & Shield were revealed in Famitsu. Within the interview with Masuda and Ohmori, it was confirmed that there is currently no decision to bring the existing Pokémon that can't be in Sword & Shield back into the game using patches, but those that don't will still have an active role in Pokémon HOME. It also reconfirmed that Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves will not appear in Sword & Shield

^ It's amazing nobody asks GF the correct questions, like if the remaining pokemon will be in the games after Sw/Sh. They probably will. Sheesh. Enough crying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom