• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ It's amazing nobody asks GF the correct questions, like if the remaining pokemon will be in the games after Sw/Sh. They probably will. Sheesh. Enough crying.

They won't? At least never again all at once. I don't know how many times this needs to be restated, but the decision (as I'm understanding it) was that all games going forwards will not include every single Pokemon within it. That could very well be reversed in the future, but that's they way it is currently. The full exclusion of Megas and Z-moves makes the gimmicks of previous gens feel sorta pointless.

Exactly why they need to stop with gimmicks and just focus on improving core aspects of the damn gameplay. No, I do not consider those "core" aspects of the gameplay, same for Dynamaxing.

Ok, I didn't want to say this, because I really don't want to defend SwSh, seeing how I dislike pretty much everything in Sw/Sh except for Sonia and Wooloo (the Galar region is basically a less beautiful and less memorable Kalos, Dynamax basically amounts to "Pokémon, but bigger lol" and pales in comparison to Megas, Max Raid Battles are the worst and SLOWEST battles I've ever seen, etc.)

But... Contrary to most of you, the one thing I actually don't mind regarding SwSh sofar, is Game Freak's decision to start rotating their Pokémon roster from now on, instead of having all Pokémon available in all games (which I find a bit... repetitive). I am aware I am in the minority here. But as a person with OCD, I always tend to use my favourite Pokémon in every game and playthrough where I can (see on my signature), because I just WANNA use them, if they are available.

So I appreciate Game Freak forcing me to choose from a more limited roster, as it forces me to get out of my comfort zone a little, and use a few Pokémon that I otherwise wouldn't. Though, I do hope at least half of my favourites (Charizard, Metagross and Salamence) are always available xD

I think it is something that will keep the games fresh. Outright removing Pokémon would be unprecedented and unacceptable, but knowing that the ones missing from SwSh will be available in the next game, is definitely a good solution.

The problems I have with this, however, are the following:

- I fear Game Freak will use this new "direction" as a new excuse to keep making third versions, which is just greedy.

- I fear the only Pokémon to suffer from their new "direction", are going to be the more unpopular ones, which is just not fair.

- Like @Juztiz said, this strategy that they want to implement NOW, should've been their strategy from the very beginning of the franchise.

Last edited:
The full exclusion of Megas and Z-moves makes the gimmicks of previous gens feel sorta pointless.

I have to disagree here. They were meant to experiment with adding new dimensions to the battling scene, which Megas, at least, most certainly accomplished. Problem is that everyone latched onto [Megas; again, I could swear that this board spent the last three years saying that Z-Moves weren't nearly as cool/useful as Megas and didn't seem to care for them much?] as something that could continue to be added onto in further generations, when from Game Freak's perspective it seems clear that they aren't as interested in the "new forms" side of it, and instead view the basic tenets of that sort of power-unleashed mechanic as worth keeping, but want to tailor the exact details in a way that suits the setting of each of the games, which I don't really see a problem with. Z-Moves and Dynamax seem at least partially constructed to (have) respond(ed) to each of their predecessors' limitations. Furthermore, they've used both existing mechanics as a backbone to their regions' lore, which adds a bit of a new element to their storywriting style as well.

----> Some further details about Pokémon Sword & Shield were revealed in Famitsu. Within the interview with Masuda and Ohmori, it was confirmed that there is currently no decision to bring the existing Pokémon that can't be in Sword & Shield back into the game using patches, but those that don't will still have an active role in Pokémon HOME. It also reconfirmed that Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves will not appear in Sword & Shield

^ It's amazing nobody asks GF the correct questions, like if the remaining pokemon will be in the games after Sw/Sh. They probably will. Sheesh. Enough crying.
Actually he said it's undecided

You know he kinda has a point, I mean maybe there are version exclusives, but we can trade.(from Reddit)

Attachments

• 974FD70A-F6CA-46D8-9388-0BFB258D543E.jpeg
    974FD70A-F6CA-46D8-9388-0BFB258D543E.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 109
I have to disagree here. They were meant to experiment with adding new dimensions to the battling scene, which Megas, at least, most certainly accomplished. Problem is that everyone latched onto [Megas; again, I could swear that this board spent the last three years saying that Z-Moves weren't nearly as cool/useful as Megas and didn't seem to care for them much?] as something that could continue to be added onto in further generations, when from Game Freak's perspective it seems clear that they aren't as interested in the "new forms" side of it, and instead view the basic tenets of that sort of power-unleashed mechanic as worth keeping, but want to tailor the exact details in a way that suits the setting of each of the games, which I don't really see a problem with. Z-Moves and Dynamax seem at least partially constructed to (have) respond(ed) to each of their predecessors' limitations. Furthermore, they've used both existing mechanics as a backbone to their regions' lore, which adds a bit of a new element to their storywriting style as well.

I don't disagree with your reasoning explaining it, I just have issues with Game Freak's implementation of it. Perhaps I wouldn't feel that way if the games themselves offered more at face value than presenting those mechanics front and center.

For example, I can understand from a lore standpoint why Alolan regional variants probably won't return and it would make sense. But they need not discard that idea entirely for a wholly new one.

I think it is something that will keep the games fresh. Outright removing Pokémon would be unprecedented and unacceptable, but knowing that the ones missing from SwSh will be in the next game, is definitely a good solution.

The problems I have with this, however, are the following:

- I fear Game Freak will use this new "direction" as a new excuse to keep making third versions, which is just greedy.

- I fear the only Pokémon to suffer from their new "direction", are going to be the more unpopular ones, which is just not fair.

Tl;Dr: I don't think their idea is bad in theory, but I know they will use it in th wrong way

I actually agree that the idea has the potential to keep things fresh and interesting. I've quietly wanted something like this for a long while now (although it always felt like an awkward position to be in because I knew that me getting my wish would mean a lot of other people being disappointed). But I also have to agree with the reddit post that GojiWright linked to; it strikes me as odd to even allow Galar Dex Pokémon into Sword & Shield in the first place instead of just doing a hard, total cutoff altogether. I suppose it does come down to how they handle games after this - like, if Skorupi isn't in SS but does get included in Infinity Diamond & Endgame Pearl, does that mean that old Skorupi from DP or B2W2 can be sent over to the Sinnoh remakes, but not to SS? Because that feels awkward when it's possible that they could patch SS for parity's sake - in addition to whatever role they serve in Pokémon Home. Still, you mention that it could turn out to be a new iteration of the standard upper version money-grubbing, which is why I think I'd actually prefer it if they stuck to their guns and kept the limited rosters as a thing going forward. Leaving SS without however many Pokémon only to fold them back into the next games just feels like them saying, "Now remember to buy the new game if you want to bring over the rest of your Pokémon!" Whereas leaving some Pokémon out of each game for the foreseeable future is something that I can at least stand by as an artistic decision, not just because it requires careful thought, but also because it feels like a shooting-themselves-in-the-foot move that they wouldn't necessarily stand to gain anything from and wouldn't choose to do if they felt there was a good way around it.

And I am indeed not keen on possibly seeing all 151 Kanto Pokémon included while every other Gen has to make compromises.

I actually agree that the idea has the potential to keep things fresh and interesting. I've quietly wanted something like this for a long while now (although it always felt like an awkward position to be in because I knew that me getting my wish would mean a lot of other people being disappointed). But I also have to agree with the reddit post that GojiWright linked to; it strikes me as odd to even allow Galar Dex Pokémon into Sword & Shield in the first place instead of just doing a hard, total cutoff altogether. I suppose it does come down to how they handle games after this - like, if Skorupi isn't in SS but does get included in Infinity Diamond & Endgame Pearl, does that mean that old Skorupi from DP or B2W2 can be sent over to the Sinnoh remakes, but not to SS? Because that feels awkward when it's possible that they could patch SS for parity's sake - in addition to whatever role they serve in Pokémon Home. Still, you mention that it could turn out to be a new iteration of the standard upper version money-grubbing, which is why I think I'd actually prefer it if they stuck to their guns and kept the limited rosters as a thing going forward. Leaving SS without however many Pokémon only to fold them back into the next games just feels like them saying, "Now remember to buy the new game if you want to bring over the rest of your Pokémon!" Whereas leaving some Pokémon out of each game for the foreseeable future is something that I can at least stand by as an artistic decision, not just because it requires careful thought, but also because it feels like a shooting-themselves-in-the-foot move that they wouldn't necessarily stand to gain anything from and wouldn't choose to do if they felt there was a good way around it.

And I am indeed not keen on possibly seeing all 151 Kanto Pokémon included while every other Gen has to make compromises.
I am not sure what your stance actually is: are you saying that in your opinion they should cut "X" number of Pokémon in general, and not have them reappear in future games at all?

I think that wouldn't be very wise.

Edit: Oh, I misunderstood. You mean why allow transfer of Pokémon from older games, if they are already obtainable in SwSh. I agree with this (y)

Last edited:
I am not sure what your stance actually is: are you saying that in your opinion they should cut "X" number of Pokémon in general, not just from SwSh?

I think that wouldn't be very wise.
That would be a marketing disaster.
Even now, there’s still chances of the Pokémon not in SwSh to return in later games, or then changing their minds. The very fact that Home seems to have interactions might be meant to not make players feel
like the Pokémon stuck in home are being ‘imprisoned’ (whether it’ll work or not depends on what we can actually do in home.)

Cutting them completely, erasing them from existence would generate a massive outcry.

Reading on Resetera, it seems someone over there found a recent or old interview in japanese where GF has now (seemingly) asked Famitsu to change Masuda's answer about supporting DLC. His intial answer has been No, but it seems to have been changed. It has at least attracted Serebii's attention to the matter.

If anything, this could be a upcoming solution to the ongoing problem, but who knows?

Here's the link to check out the said message. If anyone knows how to translate it, go ahead:

Its the 3,806th post in the said thread.

There is a chance (but don't get your hopes high about it) that dynamax and gygantamax will simply replace megas and z-moves. So for example, a gygantamaxed mawile will just look like Mega mawile, will have the same ability and stats change, but will only last for three turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom