• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

It's like a movie or a TV show, they have a way to see the things, and they do it their way.Either you like it or not, they don't give a f***
Actually they do. If they don’t write a show well enough, people stop watching and it’s gets cancelled. Viewers and players are everything. They screw up and they screw themselves over. Majorly.

I don’t think the petition is a wrong thing. I think it’s good so it does show GF how people feel.

What o believe is wrong is people who are throwing insults at GF, which isnt In this thread but apparently happening on other sites, most likely sites like Twitter. And saying the game isn’t worth playing. Is the lack of Pokémon making it through annoying for people, yes. Plenty do competitive battling or like to have them for post game. Not to mention breeding.

However it’s not all there is to a Pokémon game. And it seems wrong to not give the game a chance just because one feature does not exist. If the fans can’t support GF through all the ups and downs, then why should they bother?

I see constant complaints about how the games have become, and it seems like some of the great features are ignored. They are working to make great games for the fans, and to not make us wait too long, but we also do have to have another form of patience.

With petitions people can show that they’re upset, and that they hope GF will fix the issue later down the road.

But if people just stop buying over one thing and constantly insult them then we’ll probably lose a series we love. They screw up but I rather have screw ups mixed in with the greatness than them spending years and years on one game trying to shove every little thing that people want into it.

As it is right now, the games don’t cater to just one specific part of the community. Nor do they exclude any specific parts. No one is entirely happy, but with such a large and diverse community that’s fine since that’s what makes the community and games so unique.

And we still don’t know the full extent of what’s in the game. Nor will we till November. It’s better to give it time and see what they did, and decide once we have all the facts.

However it’s not all there is to a Pokémon game. And it seems wrong to not give the game a chance just because one feature does not exist. If the fans can’t support GF through all the ups and downs, then why should they bother?
I mean, look at it this way - the game is 60 bucks. For me, for that exact money, I could go eat ramen 4x instead of buying the game. Basically, GF "has to" show me why I should rather get a video game than a slightly overpriced good meal.
And Pokémon (like any other game) is made up of various features. Some value these features more than others, some value other features more. For some people there are certain features (or design decisions) that area absolute deal-breakers, and even if someone supported GF and genuinely loved playing Pokémon, if one of those happens, then yeah, it makes sense for them not wanting to play the game anymore.
It's like when I order food and there's onions in it. I absolutely hate onions. The meal can still be nice, but every time I feel the onion between my teeth, I will be reminded by just how much I hate onions. If it's a place that only serves that meal with onions, I'll have to not buy that meal anymore, or eat with regret.

I personally am still going to buy Shield (although I originally wanted both, but now that the collection purpose is kinda gone, why bother for that) specifically because a lot else of it looks like it could make the game fun. Doesn't mean it will. And I already know, 5 months before I play it, that whenever I see a Pokémon that I personally don't like, I will be reminded that that one made it while another one I really like didn't.

Like taking Electrike into the Galar dex when there's a new Electric dog, instead of...whatever, Chinchou. Just a plain example. I couldn't really just ignore that feeling, and I envy people who genuinely don't care and can still enjoy the games because for me they'll just have this bitter aftertaste and I really, really can't help it.

As it is right now, the games don’t cater to just one specific part of the community. Nor do they exclude any specific parts. No one is entirely happy, but with such a large and diverse community that’s fine since that’s what makes the community and games so unique.
This kind of thing is why I generally prefer niche things. Not trying to please a big majority of people allows for a bit more... not sure how to call it, unique charm? I'm not sure how to put it. But most of the time I prefer a game (, manga, show, anime...) that has a more unique identity and maybe isn't most people's cup of tea than a game that tries to please everyone as good as it can, and in the end making no group really genuinely happy with it. But that's just me and definitely not a fact overall.

I once said this before in the Speculation thread, but I'll say it again here: As irksome as this decision this, I can't say I'm surprised by it in the slightest.

I knew that at some point things would eventually come to a head with the constant generations and new Pokemon species. There is one thing I will agree with GF and there really is far too many Pokemon now. I knew that eventually they would have no other choice but for them to impose a limit, either by not introducing anymore new Pokemon (which I don't think would have gone over well with a lot of people either), or by dropping 'support' for older Pokemon. I've also said before that this practice isn't exactly new in other monster-raising RPGs. Games like Yo-Kai Watch, Monster Rancher, Robopon, Telefang, and others have also had to drop older, less popular species. The only difference was that they did that a lot sooner. We Pokemon fans have really been spoiled in that regard.

Though that doesn't mean I think the criticisms aren't sound, and I agree that people have the right to be upset by this policy. But this is also coming from someone who has honestly been very disappointed in the last few generations and I'm glad that fans are finally pushing back.

Someone said in the other thread that a big problem is how there have been too many generations in a short span of time. And I agree. Up until RSE, there were only one generation per major device. (I guess you could argue that the Game Boy and Game Boy Color are figuratively the same, since RBY could still be played on a GBC, and GSC could still be played on the GB. But I mean the latter was still designed to take full advantage of the GBC.) Then that changed by the DS era. Even way back when BW was released, there was a part of me that was surprised since I earnestly thought the next generation would be coming out for 3DS. And now I look at SM and feel that it would have been far better off if they released it on Switch. Of course we would still eventually get to the point of having too many Pokemon, but at least the generations would have been paced out a little more evenly than rushed every couple of years.

I believe what really happened was that TPCi, Nintendo, and GF have gotten too greedy and pretentious with the success of Pokemon, leading to these rushed releases and blatant disregard to feedback. Instead of progressive gameplay development like the kind we used to see in GSC and RSE, we've been fed rehashes. And now it's led to this. We're at the point now where GF has effectively shot themselves in the foot and there is no easy way to fixing that. All I can say though is that I'm glad to finally see this pushback and I am curious as to where it goes from here.

... so they actually thought of two third versions before a pair of sequels? Did they actually expect people pay twice for a single mechanic.

I feel worse knowing people would actually buy them both. On release. But hey, I don’t get to dictate how people spend their money!
Well, it was worse with USUM because there was no such mechanic. Just the usual fare with version exclusives.

Games like Yo-Kai Watch, Monster Rancher, Robopon, Telefang, and others have also had to drop older, less popular species. The only difference was that they did that a lot sooner.
Yokai Watch has done that?

I knew that at some point things would eventually come to a head with the constant generations and new Pokemon species. There is one thing I will agree with GF and there really is far too many Pokemon now. I knew that eventually they would have no other choice but for them to impose a limit, either by not introducing anymore new Pokemon (which I don't think would have gone over well with a lot of people either), or by dropping 'support' for older Pokemon. I've also said before that this practice isn't exactly new in other monster-raising RPGs. Games like Yo-Kai Watch, Monster Rancher, Robopon, Telefang, and others have also had to drop older, less popular species. The only difference was that they did that a lot sooner. We Pokemon fans have really been spoiled in that regard.

And where are Robopon, Telefang, and Monster Rancher now?

Oh, that's right, dead as doornails. I was literally there to see it in the Monster Rancher fandom - every time an old favorite was missing from a new game, you had a spate of players swearing off the series for good and there hasn't been a new title in the franchise since the DS era.

Every time you delete someone's favorite from the roster, you loose that player FOREVER. And possibly any children they might had and otherwise introduced to the series.

The same fate awaits Pokemon. Not immediately, of course, I'm talking 5-10 years, perhaps. But once they start down this road - if they don't go back - they will eventually alienate every player whose favorite isn't Pikachu and Charizard. It's only a matter of time.

And while Pikachu and Charizard obviously have tons of fans, it's not enough to sustain the series for the foreseeable future.

I’d actually be okay if we got more glitch Pokémon; it’d make up for the lacking roster in my eyes.
To be honest, I was really hoping that the Ultra Beasts were some kind fun self jab at themselves and they made the glitches "canon" in a way.

But nope, they're still just incompetent as back then with the coding and decided to throw out the concept of ultra beasts entirely.

Yokai Watch has done that?
Actually I can't be too certain if they have dropped certain Yokai before. It may have already happened with some obscure Yokai (especially as far as the mobile spin-off releases are concerned). But I'm pretty sure it inevitably will come to that, especially with Level-5's crossover collaborations with other companies. They can't keep up support with those forever especially if they have to pay royalties each time.

My main point though is that monster RPGs dropping 'support' for older species is not new.

Every time you delete someone's favorite from the roster, you loose that player FOREVER. And possibly any children they might had and otherwise introduced to the series.
Thing is that they’re not dropping these Pokémon forever. It’s just from one game, ad they’ll appear in later games. Eventually they’ll have to fix it anyways because it wouldn’t work we with online battling.

Online battling is too large a part of Pokémon, and if you only have certain species in games then they’re going to have to make some way to connect those to where all are useable for people to battle with, Becaise it just wouldn’t make sense to have a darkrai and dress it up as a pikachu. The Pokémon aren’t like the trainers where you can give them some standard appearanceZ

Thing is that they’re not dropping these Pokémon forever. It’s just from one game, ad they’ll appear in later games. Eventually they’ll have to fix it anyways because it wouldn’t work we with online battling.

Maybe they are, and maybe they're not. We've yet to see. We've had multiple gens where the same "unpopular" Pokemon is coincidentally missing from each regional dex. If that happens consistently, then it basically is the same as dropping them forever.

Actually I can't be too certain if they have dropped certain Yokai before. It may have already happened with some obscure Yokai (especially as far as the mobile spin-off releases are concerned). But I'm pretty sure it inevitably will come to that, especially with Level-5's crossover collaborations with other companies. They can't keep up support with those forever especially if they have to pay royalties each time.

My main point though is that monster RPGs dropping 'support' for older species is not new.

I don't think anyone in the YW fandom expects Detective Conyan or Dragon Quest Jibanyan to be in the franchise forever. They make it pretty clear they're temporary promotional monsters, and even if they didn't most of the tie-in monsters are just Jibanyan cosplaying, so it's not a huge loss. It's basically the equivalent of losing Spiky-eared Pichu and Cosplay Pikachu.

To be honest, I was really hoping that the Ultra Beasts were some kind fun self jab at themselves and they made the glitches "canon" in a way.

But nope, they're still just incompetent as back then with the coding and decided to throw out the concept of ultra beasts entirely.

They made the Ultra Beasts seem like a bigger thing then they were, but in the end all they were was a weird take on Hawaii's problem of invasive species. Which was redundant because that was already the point of Trump Mongoose.

And where are Robopon, Telefang, and Monster Rancher now?

Oh, that's right, dead as doornails. I was literally there to see it in the Monster Rancher fandom - every time an old favorite was missing from a new game, you had a spate of players swearing off the series for good and there hasn't been a new title in the franchise since the DS era.

No, they didn't drop from the face of the Earth because of older species losing support. They eventually disappeared because all three were always niche series. Even when they first came out, Robopon (certainly not that one), Telefang, and Monster Rancher weren't ever that popular to begin with.

And to be fair with Monster Rancher, it did very comparatively well. The last major release was a Japan-only MMORPG (Monster Farm Lagoon) that came out in 2010. And there's supposedly rumors that Tecmo Koei are preparing to revive that series. Though it remains to see if that is true. As for Telefang, there is a still fandom community for that that I've been a part of.

But no, I don't believe these games failed because of dropped support, but because they were niche series that didn't rise to the same level of popularity as Pokemon. Especially when people were constantly calling these games "poor clones of Pokemon". Back in the day, everyone considered Pokemon king and similar games to be "knockoffs". Nevermind the fact that Pokemon itself isn't even original. And for me, as someone who is a fan of monster raising RPGs in general, that comparison stinks. I'm glad that mindset is finally beginning to change.

Lastly, please don't be so combative with me. I was only making a simple statement.

It's reasonable to deem some designs exclusive to spin-off games. I don't think they were carried over to the main RPGs to begin with, except for maybe some of the Jibanyan forms that aren't a big deal.

I agree with your point in general, but it seems to me that Yokai Watch 4 is doing a better job than SwSh in this department.

Lastly, please don't be so combative with me. I was only making a simple statement.
I really don't see much, if anything combative about what I said. I was merely emphasizing that while everyone else is pointing out that other monster series get rid of monsters with each new game, only Digimon and Shin Megami Tensei have actually survived to continue that practice.

I really don't see much, if anything combative about what I said. I was merely emphasizing that while everyone else is pointing out that other monster series get rid of monsters with each new game, only Digimon and Shin Megami Tensei have actually survived to continue that practice.
Personally, I think Pokemon is big enough to survive a few hits. Hopefully they'll realize the issue and hire new programmers to better optimize data compression and storage in the games.

They made the Ultra Beasts seem like a bigger thing then they were, but in the end all they were was a weird take on Hawaii's problem of invasive species. Which was redundant because that was already the point of Trump Mongoose.
And they had regional variants that could have played that role as well. I was disappointed when they opted to focus on Ultra Beasts, rather than regional variants in USUM. Not that they necessarily had to choose one or the other, but they clearly chose Ultra Beasts.

I agree with your point in general, but it seems to me that Yokai Watch 4 is doing a better job than SwSh in this department.
It is and I find myself more excited for it than I ever have been with SwSh.

I think people are focusing too much on one statement I made in my post. Especially when I actually do agree with the criticisms for this decision. My main point with my contribution is that TPCi, Nintendo, and GF have gotten too greedy and it's led to them pumping out releases without any significant developments. The last few generations have honestly been lazy and essentially rehashes of the same-old. SM was a small step in the right direction (though I honestly suspect the only reason GF did what they did with that was because Yokai Watch was growing more popular), but the execution of it was poorly done and honestly feels like a step back to me than a step forward.

Granted, Level-5 hasn't been much better with how they released three major "generations" (if the YKW games can even be called that) on one platform alone. But they did see a dip in sales with YKW 3 and from the sounds of it they did recognize that fact and are looking to improve. Which we can see with YKW 4. So I at least have to commend to Level-5 that they are willing to take feedback and actually take risks with their series.

If they wanted to cut Pokemon, they should've done an entire Generation in the Ultraverse. They could've had 150 new alien Pokemon, some which would be alternate reality versions of existing Pokemon like Pikachu (imagine an astronaut themed version of Pikachu called Pikachu Ultra Form) in a world divorced from the physics and reality of the copy-paste Pokemon Earth. I'd have so totally bought that, sigh.

Instead we get British Sun and Moon with less monsters and no real justification besides saving GameFreak some cash.

It is and I find myself more excited for it than I ever have been with SwSh.

I think people are focusing too much on one statement I made in my post. Especially when I actually do agree with the criticisms for this decision. My main point with my contribution is that TPCi, Nintendo, and GF have gotten too greedy and it's led to them pumping out releases without any significant developments. The last few generations have honestly been lazy and essentially rehashes of the same-old. SM was a small step in the right direction (though I honestly suspect the only reason GF did what they did with that was because Yokai Watch was growing more popular), but the execution of it was poorly done and honestly feels like a step back to me than a step forward.

Granted, Level-5 hasn't been much better with how they released three major "generations" (if the YKW games can even be called that) on one platform alone. But they did see a dip in sales with YKW 3 and from the sounds of it they did recognize that fact and are looking to improve. Which we can see with YKW 4. So I at least have to commend to Level-5 that they are willing to take feedback and actually take risks with their series.

I wish YW3 had been released on the Switch in the west. I'm not looking forward to possibly digging out my 3DS to play it, but I really do want to support what Level5 is doing with that universe.

Why a petition? This is non-sense. You don't like the game,you don't buy that's all! They are not doing games for the fans, they are doing it for them. For the sake of art cash.
I mostly agree with you, but you had one word wrong. ;)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom