• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

The only time I'd take a third version (oh I'm sorry, I should actually be saying third versions, with a plural, considering that's what GF is now doing) is if it fixed a lot of the problems in the first paired versions. But that's what patches and DLC are for.

In the same light though, the problem with patches and DLC is that they no longer become available once a console's online service ends.

I am personally not very uncomfortable with the decision, but this is mainly because I tend to not use older Pokémon in the games either way. It may be as bad as everyone assumes, but let's see how it will work out first, I'd say. I also think there will be benefits of this decision as well. I think first time in the past 6 years, we might be getting a new generation with 130+ new Pokémon. I'd actually say having 130+ new Pokémon with some particular older ones is better than sticking with older Pokémon on loop with less amount of new Pokémon.

I'd often complain Pokémon being repetitive and relying too much on older elements. Thus I am fairly okay with the decision for the time being.

Just let third versions die already, it's such a tired idea of releasing the same game with alterations in another year and I hated whenever they did so.

This is possibly a little off topic, but does anyone else think that if GameFreak really is as bad at 3D modelling as it seems, if it's causing that much development issues they could maybe just go back to 2D animating every Pokemon?

Hear me out: We know their work with 2D sprites was really great from Gen V; the games could have a a retro aesthetic to them that harkens back to the 'classic' Pokemon look from Gen I to V while still looking high-def and sleek...

I'm thinking like this (Animated GIFs as examples):

https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/disp/6c95a031650967.565b2c0f65a8a.gif

https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/disp/acde9031650967.565b2c0f98749.gif

https://art.ngfiles.com/images/4330...io_pikipek-sugimori-animation.gif?f1466306271

The backgrounds in battles and stuff could be like sort of animated paintings, if you get me...
I feel like this sort of retro-sleek aesthetic could totally work with Pokemon, similar to 'Cuphead': https://mspoweruser.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/cuphead-0003.jpg

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/3ov9jUWgxPMmwgn292/giphy.gif

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/VUj8Cm05mJspG/giphy.gif

It just doesn't really feel like animating 3D is GameFreak's forte considering recent revelations about their coding...

Last edited:
Rant time. Please remain seated until further notice.

I hate to say it, but people are forgetting what the whole purpose of a new Pokemon game: the NEW content. Not the old content, the new stuff. Unless it is a remake, the whole point of a new Pokemon game is to show off the new stuff, not glorify the old stuff over and over and over again. People are like, "Oh, no, I can't use Totodile in Sword/Shield, the game is ruined for me." "Pokemon is dead because I can't use old Pokemon." "I'm canceling my preorder because I can't use Blaziken." Really? Is that all everyone cares about nowadays? People are allowed to be disappointed, but going as far as things like partitions, boycotting, and who knows what else because you can't use a particular Mon is completely childish. People are entitled to their own opinions, but when it's going as far as this, then that's just entering purely a self-entitled attitude. Remember, the games are NOT about the old stuff and the old stuff alone. It's about the NEW stuff. People really need to stop complaining so much and appreciate the games for WHAT THE HAVE! Not what they DON'T have. Yes, I get it, people can get attached to their Mons, I understand that, but when that fixation eclipses everything else, then that's going too far. I, for one, am going to enjoy Sword/Shield not for the OLD content, but for the NEW stuff. The new Mons, the new region, the new story, the new characters. You get it? I'm interested in the NEW stuff, and that's what people should be focusing on instead of whining about select old things not being in the games! That's the whole point of a new Pokemon game: what's important is the NEW STUFF, not what's old. Yes, I understand, people have certain things they want, I get that, but GF CANNOT cater to every single little thing the fans want. That's just not possible.

People really need to take a massive step back and remember that the games are meant to be enjoyed for WHAT THEY HAVE TO OFFER. It's not always about the old-and-familiar, as that's not the purpose of a new game. It's about making new discoveries, learning about the new content, exploring the games to their fullest, learning on the fly, and most of all, enjoying them for what they offer. Really, is that so hard to understand? No National Dex is NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!!! Sheesh, everyone, just cool your jets, take a step back, and appreciate what GF has put into these games before you start exploding like irate Electrodes over stuff that isn't in the games. The games are meant to be enjoyed for what they have to offer on their own, as that's their whole purpose. It's not about catering to every single whim and want that the fans have, it's about enjoying the games for what they already have to offer. The games are not even out yet and people are erupting like volcanoes because the games don't have one specific thing they want in it.

When these games come out, I will play them, not for the old stuff, but for the new stuff, so I can see what they have to offer and enjoy it as much as possible without complaining that a certain Mon I like isn't in them. That's one reason why I liked BW so much, as it allowed me to enjoy all the new content to the fullest without anything old bogging them down. To me, this is the same thing, and people really need to take a moment to simmer down and look at the big picture. People are entitled to their own opinions, as I'm indulging in that right now, but when it gets to the point that people are threatening the creators, signing petitions, and showing such childish outrage over minor stuff is going too far. Everyone, please, take a step back, cool your heads, and appreciate what the games are going to offer. Sure, you can't transfer EVERY Mon over, but so what? Is it really THAT important to have certain Mons on hand that you're willing to trash the games before they even come out? Does it really eclipse everything else that you feel the games (and the franchise) are ruined because of things like this? If so, then I suggest you quit the franchise here and now and never return, because you're clearly forgetting about what's important. It's not about the old, it's about the new, and the new should get center focus over everything else. And, most of all, it's ENJOYING the games as they are.

So what if you can't transfer EVERY old Mon into it, as they're NOT supposed to be the focus here. It's about the new Mons, the new characters, the new story, the new gameplay, the new region, just everything that is new. The old stuff really needs to step over to the side for once and allow the games, region, and characters to shine on their own. That's where XY and SM/USUM fell flat on, as the old overshadowed the new. Well, now it's time for people to stop complaining that the old isn't the focus and instead lock onto the new stuff that is going to take place in these games. Take a step forward for once and see what the games have to offer BEFORE complaining. The games haven't even come out yet, and people are going as far as petitions that GF aren't going to listen to anyway so they, the fans, can have every single little thing they want to satisfy their selfish attitudes. Face it, the games are coming out with what they've been planned to have whether you like it or not. My suggestion is this: pick up the games and play them as they are. Learn to enjoy them for what they have and not have a meltdown over the stuff they don't have. That's the whole point of a new game: to enjoy it for what it has, not what it doesn't have, as well as enjoy the new stuff instead of focusing solely on the old stuff. I get people are upset, really, I do, but it's going beyond sensible reason at this point. I'm complaining right now, too, and I apologize for it, but this is getting out of hand and I can't stay quiet while the world is self-destructing over very specific things that aren't in a soon-to-be released new game. Have our communities really gotten this toxic to the point no one is willing to simply enjoy the games for what they have to offer anymore? Is this what we've been reduced to? Everyone needs to step back, cool your heads, and look at the big picture. No matter how you slice it, the games will come out as planned with the content they're going to have as planned, and they will be purchased without fail. The best thing to do in this situation is enjoy the games for what they have, not what they don't have. That goes for Home, too, as it doesn't sound like it'll be just Bank 2.0. So, everyone, please, take a moment to cool your heads, take a good, long look at what the games have to offer, and just simply enjoy them for that. You're entitled to your own opinions, that's fine, but don't overblow it like the universe is about to implode. Act rationally, think logically, and save all final judgments until the games themselves have come out. That's all I will say now, as I think I've said enough.

I doubt anyone really read your post. I gave it a shot and gave up two paragraphs in because you've missed the point- and no one cares to read rants which have missed the point.

Yes, it may have started out as anger at not being able to transfer Pokemon into the game, but it has morphed into something much larger, something which the franchise has to contend with because suddenly the wool has instantly been pulled from thousands of people's eyes, perhaps even more. They are no longer content with the mediocrity that Game Freak has offered for the past few years. The innovation is all but gone. It's kind of like a cult or really anything that suddenly cannot go back into the box once your eyes are opened.

If you see the Pokemon reddit, the criticism is coming from everywhere about every thing. You may call it over the top, but for many it is long overdue. Popping Steelixes, Double Kick Scorbunny, static Wingull etc. it is a wave that hasn't even reached its crescendo. It's no longer some incels on vp foul mouthing everything. It's now gone mainstream and that should worry Nintendo and TPC, if not Game Freak.

Pokemon is too young to die and it will continue, but if Game Freak remain as they are, and that is a barely competent workforce, they won't be part of it for much longer. Everyone hates shareholders but questions will be asked and pressure will be put on. If Masuda and co. have been found to have allowed this incompetence to fester, they will go and it's their own fault. If you can't change with the times, you die.

This is possibly a little off topic, but does anyone else think that if GameFreak really is as bad at 3D modelling as it seems, if it's causing that much development issues they could maybe just go back to 2D animating every Pokemon?

Hear me out: We know their work with 2D sprites was really great from Gen V; the games could have a a retro aesthetic to them that harkens back to the 'classic' Pokemon look from Gen I to V while still looking high-def and sleek...

I'm thinking like this (Animated GIFs as examples):

https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/disp/6c95a031650967.565b2c0f65a8a.gif

https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/disp/acde9031650967.565b2c0f98749.gif

https://art.ngfiles.com/images/4330...io_pikipek-sugimori-animation.gif?f1466306271

The backgrounds in battles and stuff could be like sort of animated paintings, if you get me...
I feel like this sort of retro-sleek aesthetic could totally work with Pokemon, similar to 'Cuphead': https://mspoweruser.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/cuphead-0003.jpg

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/3ov9jUWgxPMmwgn292/giphy.gif

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/VUj8Cm05mJspG/giphy.gif

It just doesn't really feel like animating 3D is GameFreak's forte considering recent revelations about their coding...

After seeing Kalos map and more so when seeing how Rustboro was shrunken in ASOR and how little trees there were to decorate Hoenn's setting, I thought that it was better for them to have stayed 2D. In Gen III, trees where used to just fill the border/limits but it felt as we could discover something.
Just like Igarashi decided to make Castlevania SotN a 2D game for Playsatation (which is still regarded today as one of the best) and it allowed to make a wonderful work, I also think that PKMN in 2D today would be accepted.

Honestly, not forcing oneself to release a game every x years should be the most obvious thing, but for whatever reason (whether it's Nintendo, TPCi, or really just Game Freak we don't 100% know either way) they're not doing it, and well, it still printed money and people (including me) went along with it, not complaining much, or at least not enough.

I also would prefer to wait for a good experience. If Ruby/Sapphire, or even Diamond/Pearl were never a thing and Emerald or Platinum just happened to begin with, it would've been great. I wouldn't miss those versions, because once their improved version released, I never felt any urge to play them ever again. Diamond wasn't bad, but why play Diamond if you have Platinum? What I disliked about USUM was that overall it felt just like too much cheaper than SM in how Emerald and Platinum were a final version that basically combined their initial two games, and USUM was just... DLC content slapped onto the cartridge, to again be sold full price. (At least that's how it felt)
BW2 are a whole different matter, as they're sequels although even then there could have been one sequel to combine them, probably. But that's all in the past.

If SwSh2 or any of those variations come, I won't really be interested anymore. It needs a bit more than GF possibly caving now due to petitions and complaints to get back at their games. I'd be willing to consider it once it feels they got their stuff completely together overall, should that happen, but not before that.

Very much this. Although as much as I, too, suspect it's not entirely on Game Freak, I'm not sure who's to blame to what degree with their release pace.
I've already said this in the other thread but Game Freak could have realised at gen 3 that they will not be able to keep putting all their Pokémon into every single game and started making different rosters for different games, so that each Pokémon in existence gets some opportunities to shine.
If you're making your third games, and you already exceeded the double number of what you initially started with (gen 1 having 151 Pokémon, gen 3 had 386) then it's a point, where you should consider if it's a good idea to always support all the monsters you create. Not only think for this game, and maybe the next after, but also think ahead for in 10 years.

There would have been an outcry had it been done earlier, it wouldn't have been smooth at all. But gen 3 already got an outcry for not allowing transfers from gen 2, and had gen 4 not allowed for transfers either, it would be our reality now and we wouldn't be able to miss it at all now, and no transfers would also have made a national dex useless.

Overall I absolutely agree with you, though.

I think that we have to blame GF and Nintendo on different measures and times. Nintendo sells their consoles grounded on their IP so PKMN is a must for every new console, more so with the power the series has. As for GF, at first they might would want to stop making it (at GSC) but they had to do more and perhaps they thought that doing it would allow them to have more resources and make other games (this can be seen recently on some declarations in which they say they are focused on a non-PKMN game) but due to the popularity of the series and what I've said about Nintendo, they can't be "released".
If this goes on, we'll perhaps have a situation like Konami vs Kojima!! Again, the stories of Mega Flygon, Sugimori's artist block are evidences of tiredness.

I'm not a fan of this news either, but I thought petitions were supposed to be about serious issues. This just seems so childish, and I'm not signing either one.
I think in situations like this it's used more as a data tool to show the company "hey we have X amount of people who don't like your ideas/practices/etc". It's a way to get their attention and also show in some quantifiable way how many people are displeased with the current state of things. I do agree with you though, it's pretty annoying to see it - it's like they are used for any and all types of internet outrage these days.

I saw a post on reddit where someone linked some kind of link on the Pokemon website which is used for feedback to the developers, and that's probably the best way to handle this. The petition stuff is becoming overused, and more and more people will just refuse to take them seriously as time goes on.

That's a minor concern, but they could re-release the games with the added content.
To the fandom, maybe. But this sort of thing is what worries a lot of people about a digital-only future, which is what the gaming industry seems to be heading into.

I'm neutral on that subject, but I do get the same concerns.

As nice as 2D sprites would be, it would actually be seen more as a regression and I don't think Nintendo would want them to take that step back. Not unless it was a spin-off title.

Besides, that does not necessarily solve the coding problem which is the real issue at hand here.

After seeing Kalos map and more so when seeing how Rustboro was shrunken in ASOR and how little trees there were to decorate Hoenn's setting, I thought that it was better for them to have stayed 2D. In Gen III, trees where used to just fill the border/limits but it felt as we could discover something.
Just like Igarashi decided to make Castlevania SotN a 2D game for Playsatation (which is still regarded today as one of the best) and it allowed to make a wonderful work, I also think that PKMN in 2D today would be accepted.

Right?! The ORAS overworld was a little frustrating because there was just invisible walls keeping you from going out of bounds marked only by a change in the colour of grass...

I mean this animation of Sceptile is fanmade based only on Sugimori art:
https://66.media.tumblr.com/885b1e8894a1e5d0fa09a666c7ba93cf/tumblr_nasdioBMkD1rsl6n7o1_1280.gif

Moving limbs, the shifting branches on its arms, snapping jaw, it looks so much more full of life and aesthetically pleasing than the actual official 3D battle model:
https://media3.giphy.com/media/F1Cas9SVTnAo8/200w.gif

It's funny, I've been preaching about Game Freak's incompetence for years and no one seemed to care but now that they're actually making a console scale game with a larger overworld everyone's starting to complain because we're only getting a couple hundred out of 800-900. That's not to say I don't understand the complaints, they're setting a very dangerous precedent with this policy that could seriously undermine everything they're trying to accomplish with this series. But it's funny that after getting a barebones 3D game with no post game content, a major feature removed from a remake that was a major part of the original's identity, a third version that does almost nothing new in an age where it could've easily been sold as DLC, and a glorified mobile game sold as a full price console game the fanbase didn't come to this conclusion. The writing's been on the wall for years, guys.

As for me, I'm highly disappointed, but this isn't actually a dealbreaker for me. Even if we don't get every single Pokemon, there's still going to be tons to catch and battle with so it's not as if the selection is going to be barren, and they're making a larger and more open overworld like I wanted. So I'm still going to enjoy the game for what it is. But I am nervous about this series going forward and if this policy really starts to drag things down too much, I might leave for good.

If there’s a silver lining to any of this, maybe the players will get creative and experiment with Pokémon they normally wouldn’t use.
Sword/Shield still has old Pokemon in it though. And as long as they're still around, there will be people who will still use them.

I once wanted to build a team that consisted of nothing but Alola's Pokemon. But because old Pokemon were still available, I used them instead because in many ways I found them better. (I wanted to use Togedemaru but after seeing how awful it was, I went with Magnemite instead.)

But I am nervous about this series going forward and if this policy really starts to drag things down too much, I might leave for good.
What's "too much"? It seems to me that you're giving Game Freak a pass because you're getting an openish world in less than half the region, whose main selling point is Max Raids. You were very negative about the games when they were revealed.

What's "too much"? It seems to me that you're giving Game Freak a pass because you're getting an openish world in less than half the region, whose main selling point is Max Raids. You were very negative about the games when they were revealed.

Things like if they let certain Pokemon disappear for multiple generations (I think it's reasonable to expect every Pokemon be in an least one regional dex per generation) or if there's too little overlap between games. I do want to give them a chance because open world is something I've been wanting, and all things considered I think an open game with a large but not complete dex is going to be better than a linear game with a complete dex. But if it's executed in a way that it becomes too limiting and imbalanced then it'll start to outweigh the open world gameplay and I'll have to call it quits.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom