• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM126: Pikachu's Exciting Expedition!

So can I considered this episode the worst ever? Considering Ash's Pokemon travelling through from Melemele to Ula Ula and head back from there. Making the whole journey of finding Ash meaningless...

Overall, this episode I gave it C+

I agree, this episode was rather pointless and achieved nothing, the Pokemon acted rather out of character trying to get that berry towards the end I felt

The narrator doing the voices killed this episode for me. There were like 2 parts where it was actually kinda funny, but overall it was pretty much just distracting.

Could have been a great episode otherwise. Here's hoping they release a version without the dub over.

I think half of the episode was reused scenes. This is literally a filler episode.

The Ultra Guardian medals must be super cursed or something because the moment someone puts them on, it immediately turns them super dumb.

Like, what was even the point of Ash’s Pokemon searching high and low to every section of Alola when they could have known that he’d have returned at the very same spot? It’s like that one mission in KH: 358/2 Days where Roxas is sent to find Xaldin who’s gone missing in Beast’s castle so he searches every nook and cranny for him only to then find him at the very spot he started at and then Xaldin claiming it to be a waste of time.

An absolute waste of the audience’s time, the Pokemon’s time and Iwane’s talent as well.

Oh well, maybe the league might serve both of them better but I ain’t getting no hopes up.

On the plus side: Gladion next week! Yaaay, something to get rid of the aftertaste of this episode.

Last edited:
When I saw the preview for this I was expecting something good like They Might Not Be Giants! where Popplio, Rowlet and Litten got lost and had adventures together. Unfortunately that's not what was delivered in this instance. What we got was pretty generic filler that was like one of the more dull Pikachu shorts, only made worse by the fact that they thought having the narrator talk over all the Pokémon to translate instead of having subtitles like before was a good idea. It of course wasn't. I wouldn't call it as bad as the Komala episode by any means, but definitely one of the worst in a while, probably since Hapu's Grand Trial. I did appreciate that the narrator managed to come up with different voices for all the Pokémon, but sadly that didn't make the experience any less irritating.

When I saw the preview for this I was expecting something good like They Might Not Be Giants! where Popplio, Rowlet and Litten got lost and had adventures together. Unfortunately that's not what was delivered in this instance. What we got was pretty generic filler that was like one of the more dull Pikachu shorts, only made worse by the fact that they thought having the narrator talk over all the Pokémon to translate instead of having subtitles like before was a good idea. It of course wasn't. I wouldn't call it as bad as the Komala episode by any means, but definitely one of the worst in a while, probably since Hapu's Grand Trial. I did appreciate that the narrator managed to come up with different voices for all the Pokémon, but sadly that didn't make the experience any less irritating.
Yeah, this whole episode is meh. I hope the dub version will remove the Narrator's voiceover Ash's Pokemon so they can add the subtitles of what they're saying which similar happened in the Giant Island episode of the original series.

Yeah, this whole episode is meh. I hope the dub version will remove the Narrator's voiceover Ash's Pokemon so they can add the subtitles of what they're saying which similar happened in the Giant Island episode of the original series.
I'd be surprised if they did, but they at least might get rid of the Pokémon's cries and just have the voices coming direct from them, presumably using their normal dub VAs rather than the narrator for the lot, so it might be at least a bit less annoying than it was here.

I'd be surprised if they did, but they at least might get rid of the Pokémon's cries and just have the voices coming direct from them, presumably using their normal dub VAs rather than the narrator for the lot, so it might be at least a bit less annoying than it was here.
Yeah, I know what you're saying. I wish they could do such a thing in the dub version.

I wasn’t going to judge this before seeing it.

I should have- this was unbearably boring, almost upsets me that we got this instead of just about anything else. We could have had an episode of Mallow using her Z-Move, we could have had a proper Meltan, Eevee, Shaymin- heck, Togedemaru focus episode. We could’ve had an episode about Araquanid or a Guzma episode or have an episode where Hau has a Grand Trial with Hala.

I’m far more relaxed and forgiving with many of SM mistakes (unlike a lot of people here) but this is one of those episodes, for which there are very few, which is so completely pointless, so devoid of any story/character development (I know we get to see the Meltan have been breeding, or something- which probably leads to Melmetal) that I feel it’s a waste.

There are five episodes throughout the entire show which I cannot think of any solid reason for them to exist- but the other 4, I can at least see why certain people might enjoy them. I guess kids might like this...

Edit: Just saw that the Meltan were shown to be duplicating in the Kartana episode- meaning this episode has truly done nothing for the the story...

Last edited:
There are five episodes throughout the entire show which I cannot think of any solid reason for them to exist- but the other 4, I can at least see why certain people might enjoy them. I guess kids might like this...
Out of curiosity what are the other 4?

The narrator doing the voices killed this episode for me. There were like 2 parts where it was actually kinda funny, but overall it was pretty much just distracting.

Could have been a great episode otherwise. Here's hoping they release a version without the dub over.
There is actually at least one Pikachu short where the narrator dubs the Pokémon. Kinda reminded me of that. And not in a good way. As the great anime reviewer Suede once said, narrating obvious events breaks arguably the biggest rule in storytelling: "Show, don't tell." (He actually gave 4Kids props for removing the narrator in Pikachu's Rescue, BTW.) This episode could've just as easily been told without the narrator translating everything. It outright insults the intelligence of the people watching it, both young and old. As if we couldn't tell that Rowlet was worried about Meltan by it imitating it without the narrator. As if we couldn't figure out that Pikachu was hungry by him looking at Meltan eating. And so on and so on.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom