• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I care about them plenty, but I'm rather indifferent to which generation gets represented the most in terms of Megas/forms (Megas are evidently disposable, while forms rarely change viability all that much). Cross-generational evolutions are a different story, and I'd agree that Farfetch'd should be the only one for Kanto this time. Corsola, Qwilfish, Dunsparce, Sudowoodo, Sunflora, Girafarig and Stantler await their turn, but they might just be removed with Dexit rearing its ugly head...

People forget that the Alolan forms were given to fairly neglected Generation I species. Don't hold their region against them just because Game Freak were too lazy to add new ones in USUM.
Many people just get tired of seeing the same Mons get special treatment while the ones they like never get any attention. It's a similar reason that a lot of people are upset about no national Dex - they are concerned about their favorites, in this case, even being in the game. It's not too much to ask for some variety when we've been to Kanto 4 times, they make megas for more Gen 1 Pokemon than other regions (and the Pokemon with 2 Megas are both from Gen 1), Alolan forms are for Kanto-only, despite having a lot of potential for Pokemon in other generations (Bellossom anyone?), and then LGPE on top of that, a 5th visit to Kanto with only the original 151. It's just a lot of attention to Gen 1 that could be shared more evenly with other regions so everyone's favorites can receive some love.

Oof the Kanto argument again... the first generation is more iconic than later gens. That's why it gets more attention.

I've been thinking about Dexit and I'm starting to think that HOME could solve the majority of issues IF:
  1. Trading AND battling is available.
  2. It doesn't require a Nintendo Switch Online subscription to use it.
  3. The fee, if there is one (preferably not), is cheaper than Nintendo Switch Online.
  4. It is promised that your Pokémon will NOT be deleted even if you don't pay. Even if they were to give a grace period, that would be loads better than deleting them at random.

All of these things, not some of them- all of them. That would maaaybe fix things enough.

Also none of this "your device is blocked because you changed the timezone" or whatever nonsense. Screw those kind of security measures, they're stupid.

Oof the Kanto argument again... the first generation is more iconic than later gens. That's why it gets more attention.

The problem isn't that it gets more attention, I'm fine with that and can understand that. The problem is that it gets much much more attention. A trend that has started since Gen 6.

Please don't try to insult me, i'm well aware of how communism works.
LOL. What a weird example.
How exactly have I insulted you? You questioned the validity of my example (by condescendingly laughing out loud at it), and in response, I questioned your knowledge about Communism.

That's not an insult. I genuinely just thought that maybe you didn't understand my example because maybe you don't know enough about Communism.

Last edited:
Imo the other 6 gens are not as popular as gen 1 because GF never really tryed to make them well known. I mean in Gen 6 they gave megas to gen 1 and 3 starters and not to the starters that were discovered in the region where megas were discovered. In gen 7 only gen 1 pokemon got alola forms. They made charizard the main pokemon of the champion of the Galar region. How could anyone like Meganiun if the only games It has a role in are gen 2 games and remakes of gen 2? When was the last time you heard about Maractus? I mean, yes, some pokemon sell more than others, but what's the point of creating a single stage cactus when we already have one, and with terribile stats and a mediocre design?
And they gave megas to Charizard and Alola form to Ninetails? Sometimes I think they just create already dead pokemon for the only purpose of reaching a certain number of new mons.
This is why I was kinda shocked to see the third cotton-based pokemon. Do we really need so many pokemon based on cotton when we still don't have a proper dolphin? Who is obsessed with cotton at GF exactly?

Imo the other 6 gens are not as popular as gen 1 because GF never really tryed to make them well known. I mean in Gen 6 they gave megas to gen 1 and 3 starters and not to the starters that were discovered in the region where megas were discovered. In gen 7 only gen 1 pokemon got alola forms. They made charizard the main pokemon of the champion of the Galar region. How could anyone like Meganiun if the only games It has a role in are gen 2 games and remakes of gen 2? When was the last time you heard about Maractus? I mean, yes, some pokemon sell more than others, but what's the point of creating a single stage cactus when we already have one, and with terribile stats and a mediocre design?

Also, 4 of the 9 overworld Pokémon that were seen when Masuda and Ohomori were explaining SwSh are Kanto Pokémon (Goldeen included). That is a very undemocratic margin considering that there are 7 gens (I'm not taking Gen 8 into account because spoiling new Pokémon would've been quite weird), even the fact that Gen I is the most popular one won't justify this.

While we're on the topic of Leon's Charizard, I think it's nearly guaranteed that it's either getting a new form (Gigantimax), like Diantha with Mega Gardevoir, or less likely, it's a placeholder for a dragon or some other new pseudo-legendary they're hiding, which they did for Steven's Mega Metagross. He's also still likely to have a pseudo-legendary or something rare and powerful like Alder with Volcarona if it really is a new Charizard form (like we needed another one though...). Diantha has Goodra as well as Mega Gardevoir. It would make sense.

How exactly have I insulted you? You questioned the validity of my example (laughing out loud at it), and in response, I questioned your knowledge
You're saying that all of a sudden I don't know what communism is just because I made fun of your example. I think it's safe to say that pretty much everybody on this forum knows what communism is, it's not that difficult of a concept.

It's like me saying this:
Me: " The Pokemon Company and Game Freak are like Hitler. They view Gen 1 as superior to all the other Gens. No wonder they're going to show more Gen 1 than anything else"
You:"What? Lol, that doesn't make any sense. That's a weird comparison."
Me: "You wouldn't think it's a weird comparison if you're even remotely knowledgeable about Hitler."

See? It's stupid. Why would you compare an ideology or an evil dictator (both real) to pokemon, which are fictional monsters. And then you get so defensive over you're comment when someone comments on it's silliness.

Last edited:
Oops. Also, judging from my statistical background knowledge, the Japanese poll is way less iffier than the one on Reddit. Give me a source that it's targeted towards kids. And even if it is, that does say something, but not too much.

You know what's really old?

The constant need to bash Gen 1. It's whiny and repetitive. Do you want to know the real reason Pokemon like Charizard appear at the top?

It's because the majority of voters are casual fans. That reddit poll was on r/gaming, it may have hit the front page. There were lots of places people could vote - and hell, that's probably the most votes a Pokemon poll has ever got on the Internet because hardly anyone bothers with polls. The truth is the number of casual fans outnumbers the current fans. Most people don't watch the anime, play TCG or the handheld or mobile games. BUT most of the generation probably knows about them, whether they once played or through someone else. These are the results.

Your need to claim the Japanese poll is more legit is really, really laughable because it is so desperate. The Japanese poll was for a distribution at the end of it, that's why you have legendaries dominating- and legendaries have time eternal dominated Pokemon polls because it seems like all of them are only conducted with a giveaway or merchandising or some kind of distribution at the end of it. I'm not sure, but many of these polls have no way of actually preventing you from voting more than once either. That reddit poll had a gmail identifier.

You may not like it, you may not consider casuals fans- and that is your prerogative, but hell, just logically speaking, Gen 1 will come out on top most of the time because it reached the most people and it has had the longest time to. The results are valid. Stop whinging and making excuses.

You're saying that all of a sudden I don't know what communism is just because I made fun of your example. I think it's safe to say that pretty much everybody on this forum knows what communism is, it's not that difficult of a concept.

It's like me saying this:
Me: " Pokemon is like Hitler. It views Gen 1 as superior to all the other Gens. No wonder it's going to show more Gen 1 than anything else"
You:"What? Lol, that doesn't make any sense. That's a weird comparison."
Me: "You wouldn't think it's a weird comparison if you're even remotely knowledgeable about Hitler."

See? It's stupid. Why would you compare an ideology or an evil dictator (both real) to pokemon, which are fictional monsters. And then you get so defensive over you're comment when someone comments on it's silliness.
Do you think it's ok to make fun of someone's example just because you don't think it's fitting? That's kinda rude, don't you think? Especially since you weren't part of the conversation and just bumped into it.

My example does make sense for anybody who understands the n1 premise of Communism and Marxism: namely, that everybody should earn the same, regardless of their individual merits and capabilities.

Translated to Pokémon, it means that according some people, all Pokémon and all generations, should be equally represented, and I disagree with that way of thinking. I think if there's more demand for Kanto-related stuff, it's ok for Kanto to be overrepresented.

Last edited:

I've been thinking about Dexit and I'm starting to think that HOME could solve the majority of issues IF:
  1. Trading AND battling is available.
  2. It doesn't require a Nintendo Switch Online subscription to use it.
  3. The fee, if there is one (preferably not), is cheaper than Nintendo Switch Online.
  4. It is promised that your Pokémon will NOT be deleted even if you don't pay. Even if they were to give a grace period, that would be loads better than deleting them at random.
All of these things, not some of them- all of them. That would maaaybe fix things enough.

Also none of this "your device is blocked because you changed the timezone" or whatever nonsense. Screw those kind of security measures, they're stupid.
Has it been confirmed you can battle in Home?

Regardless, I'm not against the dex block. GF had do it had some point. My problem is the execution of the whole event is poor and leaves a lot to be desired. Here's my post from Smogon:

1. Poor Timing. Of all the consoles to limit Pokemon, they chose the Switch. The most powerful console for the Pokemon series, which can create a game-changer for open world exploration as seen in the Breath in the Wild, doesn't have much room for all the Pokemon, even though the 3DS could. Not to mention that this game was released after Let's Go, a game controversial for limiting Pokemon. After they promised this would be a traditional RPG, this was a huge punch in the gut. They should have tested this on the handheld era, since its a lot easier to justify isolating Pokemon based on hardware. BW would have been a perfect opportunity due to focusing on only Unova Pokemon. Or maybe SM because the framerate was terible in those games.

2. The Pokemon Fandom is spoiled in general. Being able to transfer Pokemon was a great privilege that many games do not have the luxury of doing. It all goes back to the dream of your child having a Pokemon you once owned to the point that you can transfer Pokemon from Virtual Console. "Everyone is here" was a dream for many games and Pokemon has been doing it for years. I'm guessing the reason Pokemon never bothered trying because they never thought Pokemon would become so popular. Around DP, it was expected to become a fad.

3. Can't buy the reasons: As for providing refining animations as well as balancing, I don't see much evidence. The animations look exactly as in the 3DS games, maybe with a different lighting. Not to mention Pokemon lack textures- I mean look at Incineroar in Smash Ultimate. Hopefully they'll improve upon it during development but we'll see. As for balancing, I'm not sure GF has a very different understanding of VGC than compared to players. If they want to balance it, they need to show some major buffs, such as movepools and ability updates, as well as some massive stat distributions. Buffing and nerfing mechanics such as Hail and Psychic Terrain should be considered too.

Do you think it's ok to make fun of someone's example just because you don't think it's fitting? That's kinda rude.

Especially since my example does make sense for anybody who understands the premises of Communism (everybody should earn the same, regardless of their individual merits and capabilities).
Mate, you used an extremely hyperbolic example. Let it go.

While we're on the topic of Leon's Charizard, I think it's nearly guaranteed that it's either getting a new form (Gigantimax), like Diantha with Mega Gardevoir, or less likely, it's a placeholder for a dragon or some other new pseudo-legendary they're hiding, which they did for Steven's Mega Metagross. He's also still likely to have a pseudo-legendary or something rare and powerful like Alder with Volcarona if it really is a new Charizard form (like we needed another one though...). Diantha has Goodra as well as Mega Gardevoir. It would make sense.
I still hope whatever Gigantamax form Charizard gets turns it into a quadraped Welsh Dragon like in british folklore. Which would be awesome

If you think I'm bashing Gen I, my second favourite region by the way, then I'm afraid you've missed the point from the beginning.

You were trying to justify a Japanese poll with illogical excuses.

It's really not very hard to see when someone has no idea what they are talking about. You missed the premise of the poll and started making all kinds of excuses to justify why it's better than the reddit poll because you liked the results better. How old are you?

If you're sick of pandering, then vote with your wallet. It's funny because all the pandering are done to attract casuals who probably won't buy the games anyway, and yet people like yourself take it so personally but yet continue to support the games that casuals don't.

You know what's really old?

The constant need to bash Gen 1. It's whiny and repetitive. Do you want to know the real reason Pokemon like Charizard appear at the top?

It's because the majority of voters are casual fans. That reddit poll was on r/gaming, it may have hit the front page. There were lots of places people could vote - and hell, that's probably the most votes a Pokemon poll has ever got on the Internet because hardly anyone bothers with polls. The truth is the number of casual fans outnumbers the current fans. Most people don't watch the anime, play TCG or the handheld or mobile games. BUT most of the generation probably knows about them, whether they once played or through someone else. These are the results.

Your need to claim the Japanese poll is more legit is really, really laughable because it is so desperate. The Japanese poll was for a distribution at the end of it, that's why you have legendaries dominating- and legendaries have time eternal dominated Pokemon polls because it seems like all of them are only conducted with a giveaway or merchandising or some kind of distribution at the end of it. I'm not sure, but many of these polls have no way of actually preventing you from voting more than once either. That reddit poll had a gmail identifier.

You may not like it, you may not consider casuals fans- and that is your prerogative, but hell, just logically speaking, Gen 1 will come out on top most of the time because it reached the most people and it has had the longest time to. The results are valid. Stop whinging and making excuses.
No one is saying anything is wrong with Gen 1 Pokemon. They're just asking for some of the attention to be given to other generations because it receives significantly more special treatment than other generations, even for being the most iconic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom