• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But who had the Power Stone, the Time Stone, and the Soul Stone? Grant only has the Mind Stone, Space Stone, and Reality Stone.
I found the power and the soul stones:
1475396.jpg
209027.jpg

I never played YK so I don’t know exactly what the fanbase feels about it and how much people were attached to Yokai,
I should have also mentioned that Yokai Watch doesn't have a feature to transfer Yokai from previous games.

In fact what YKW does is essentially the opposite. The games are direct sequels to each other and features the same protagonist, but in every game he loses his previous Yokai collected. In YKW 2, a pair of evil Yokai erase his memories and his album of Yokai medals. In the third game, Whisper straight up sells the entire medal album to buy a fancier watch. We YKW fans are used to, from a story perspective, losing everything we collected and having to start over. But this is a trend they introduced very early on, so for us it has become the expectation in YKW.

Whereas with Pokemon we have become so used to the feature of cross-compatibility that it has become our primary expectation in Pokemon.

I would absolutely LOVE this! I've always wanted a fire/bug and an ice/bug Pokemon got my bug/fire in gen 5 with volcarona and larvesta so I'm hoping they might add an ice/bug Pokemon soon. I'm excited for the new type combos this gen, I've also wanted a dark/fairy and got that with impidimp (even if it's design is... Questionable).

If anyone can translate japanese, maybe there might be info on the player's names as well as Zacian and Zamazenta's typings?

While I’d like Pokémon to be able to have games in 3D, I’d rather have a 2D game with content in it than if a 3D environment has to sacrifice content for the sake of visuals. Game Freak is trying to do the latter, but they’re still not succeeding on that front if the numerous graphical problems of SwSh are any indication. In an ideal world, Game Freak should be able to handle 3D environments and expressions without sacrificing important content. So far, SwSh seems to prove otherwise.

We definitely need more information about SwSh and player experience to make a final judgment on whether the sacrifices they’ve made (Dexit and previous battle features) have a good payoff in terms of gameplay. It’s not looking like it though.

You better prove us wrong, Game Freak!

I've always maintained that Pokemon designs just plain look better in 2D and early on I wondered if the switch to 3D might kill the franchise because of increased production costs. I'm annoyed that I was right, especially since a lot of the Pokemon designs (especially the ones intended to have fur) just look wrong in 3D.

I should have also mentioned that Yokai Watch doesn't have a feature to transfer Yokai from previous games.

In fact what YKW does is essentially the opposite. The games are direct sequels to each other and features the same protagonist, but in every game he loses his previous Yokai collected. In YKW 2, a pair of evil Yokai erase his memories and his album of Yokai medals. In the third game, Whisper straight up sells the entire medal album to buy a fancier watch. We YKW fans are used to, from a story perspective, losing everything we collected and having to start over. But this is a trend they introduced very early on, so for us it has become the expectation in YKW.

Whereas with Pokemon we have become so used to the feature of cross-compatibility that it has become our primary expectation in Pokemon.
The Yokai also fight as an active party of 3 constantly, so there's a lot less attachment to individual Yokai. Even I, as a monster collection nut don't really care for much of the Yokai individually except Komasan, Babblong, and Noko, tbh.

Also the mechanic in 4 gives nearly every returning Yokai a Mega Form so it's much more reasonable in that game.

I realize I'm late again,

To be completely fair with Level-5 and Yokai Watch 4, they completely revamped the game from scratch. It features an entire different battle mode. Which is a lot more than what can be said for Game Freak. Still that doesn't necessarily excuse the elimination of Yokai. But I'm sure their reasons why are different from GF's. Not to mention, seeing as the majority of Yokai are just recolors and reskins, is it really going to affect most of us?

I'm not bothered by this. I'm still looking forward to YK4.
The yokai aren't eliminated. More are being patched in later.

One source says 810 but people are saying that was a mistranslation. Still, it won't just be 110 after they patch more in

It’s not because of nostalgia; it’s the fact that many feel like Game Freak can’t handle 3D video games like they did with 2D.
Pretty much saying that Game Freak should stay in their niche because they have more experience there. It's kind of a bullshit argument though- was their first 2D gen really all that great? Was the second? They're learning a new medium, so give them time to master it like they had time to master 2D. If they don't want to stay in the 2D niche, I see no reason why they should- it's like telling any artist that they shouldn't try a new medium because they're good at the one they started with. Maybe that medium just isn't fulfilling to them anymore.

Essay Literal Text Wall

Like a lot of people mentioned, 2D isn't necessarily easier than 3D, but I think that the kind of graphical leap Game Freak are trying to make is too big to be done in such a small amount of time. Zelda BotW took four years to make (? I think?). Sure, we aren't expecting BotW-level graphics, but I think Game Freak would need at least two years to make the graphics in this game the best they can be. Looking back, they really should have made SM for the Switch and maybe release the hypothetical Pokemon Z for the 3DS if Nintendo wanted something to keep selling that platform.

For those who say graphics don't matter and people complaining should shut it - this time around, when the Switch is capable of far more than any console Pokemon has been on, it's not that unreasonable for people to expect more. After all, we've seen large improvements in the graphics each gen so far, with Gen V making extensive use of 3D models mixed with sprites, then XY being blocky chibi-3D, and SM jumping to proper, more detailed 3D. The logical progression of that is Pokemon graphics similar to Nintendo's other franchises on Switch, such as Odyssey and BotW. Reiterating now that it's OK if you don't care about graphics, but other people do and for them it might be a big thing.

I was mostly OK with the graphics of SwSh when they were revealed - they're passable, but don't tell me you don't think something with fancier graphics would be nice. Pokemon has so many cool locations that could be done proper justice in luscious, carefully rendered 3D, and if it's moving to open-world having visually detailed areas becomes all the more important. The thing is that it feels like, to me at least, Game Freak is not getting enough time to focus on the core gameplay because of their busy release schedule and constant push to improve graphics. An open world is nice but who wants to explore it if there is nothing to do there?

This is why people wonder if moving back to 2D would improve anything. Remember HGSS, chock-full of sidequests and post-game content. Fighting Red - Safari - Gym Leader rematches - complicated quests to find Legendaries - Pokeathlon - you name it, it was in there. On the DS and the janky Gen 4 engine, no less, it was such an enjoyable, rich game. Go forwards to XY and you get the Looker quest, which was neat, and a few "collect a bunch of items" type things. That's it for the post game. And you don't have to complete puzzles to reach gym leaders, or fight your way through a maze-like cave to get to Mewtwo. Important items like the Mega Bracelet are just handed to you for free, as if Game Freak couldn't be bothered to code in a battle to make you prove your in-game worth. That makes it feel like less thought was put into the game, and you can't help but wonder if the push to move to 3D caused it, knowing that creating 3D graphics from scratch is significantly more difficult than making sprites.

I don't mind that the games are in 3D. I just wish Game Freak wasn't hobbled by such a tight release schedule. I'm happy that they are improving the stories of the game, even if I don't like their decisions to get rid of the puzzle-like parts and hand things to you on a platter. I believe (this is wild conjecturing, now) that if they weren't tied to yearly releases they would probably bring some of the puzzle like bits back because they'd have time to actually design it alongside creating better 3D graphics.

Just my opinion.

Gen 1 and 2 (Link's Awakening - GB)
Gen 4 (A Link to the Past- SNES)
Gen 6 (Windwaker - GC)
Gen 8 (Twilight Princess - GC/Wii)

Game Freak is slow when it comes to evolving a game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom