• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh.

So I asked what race Nessa was, and people didn't answer.

So I'll ask a different question. Why are people so sure she's black? Granted, perhaps I'm just crazy and no other races have skin as dark as that, but I'm fairly sure that is not the case.

Is there anything about her that makes it obvious she is black?

Mind, I have no problem with her being black.
Well, I find her skin color to be dark enough. Then again, maybe I have that mentality because in Spanish at least there's a term for what TvTropes call "ambiguously brown".

Huh.

So I asked what race Nessa was, and people didn't answer.

So I'll ask a different question. Why are people so sure she's black? Granted, perhaps I'm just crazy and no other races have skin as dark as that, but I'm fairly sure that is not the case.

Is there anything about her that makes it obvious she is black?

Mind, I have no problem with her being black.
I didn't answer, because I find it hard to say what race a fictional character drawn in stylized anime/manga way from just looking at them, without having an official statement...that we are probably never going to get in the first place.

Don't ask me why people are so sure she's black.

Yeah nah.
God how I usually hate this argument but so equality and creative freedom only works one way?

I didn't answer, because I find it hard to say what race a fictional character drawn in stylized anime/manga way from just looking at them, without having an official statement...that we are probably never going to get in the first place.

Don't ask me why people are so sure she's black.

God how I usually hate this argument but so equality and creative freedom only works one way?
Sometimes

Stop being intentionally obtuse. Bleaching a dark skin character inorder to make them lighter has actual real world negative connotations.
It does. But why are we holding fictional characters to the same standard? Also we should also think about the context. If the person responsible for the fan art was intentionally doing this as a jab to Poc then I'd understand. But as it stands now, we don't know that. Why assume the worst in people and give rise to unnecessary outrage? There are more concerning issues when it comes to racism that need more attention.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I don't understand. Maybe we're not talking about the same thing?
The problem was that for some people it was racist to make a black girl with little clothing, which I say is stupid because she's a swimmer, of course she's not going to wear lots of clothing. In fact, I have never heard about the "black people can't swim" stereotype until you mentioned it.

However, I think the whole topic has degenerated and might get the thread locked, so I guess I'll stop before things go worse.

Stop being intentionally obtuse. Bleaching a dark skin character inorder to make them lighter has actual real world negative connotations.
I'm not. You are basically saying that it isnt ok for a black character to be in a picture by themselves under this kind of filter (which btw has neon colors everywhere) unless a white person is beside them too. ridiculous. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a black character under a filter to make colors pop and others fade by themselves. it isnt tailored to just one character. its a filter, an over lay. And last I checked, I don't see anyone using chemicals to look neon or have neon skin.
I'm done here. I probably should have left after my first comment showing article with the pic and defining what is whitewashing in pictures.
have a great day everyone.

This outrage is genuinely pathetic. Nessa being shown slightly lighter isn't some grand white-washing scheme by hundreds of "racist" artists. Every artists has a different personal palette and color design to their art. Some choose to have pastel colors, while others might show things lighter because they have darker darks, that's how they show contrast.

It’s also a FAN artist. It literally will never affect the actual game.

This is why people make fun of “SJWs”. Seeing racism everywhere you see is laughable.

There is plenty of actual racism in the world, a fan art of a video game character isn’t one of them.

This is still confusing me, why is everything but her skin the exact same?
Because when you shift those colors slightly, they don't change much.

I tried to replicate it somewhat in photoshop, first by brightening the overall palette of the official artwork to account for the pastel art style-

And then shifted the color slightly on a second layer overlaying the first with a hard light filter-

I think the colors came close. Filters and pastels do weird things. The only reason that art looks whitewashed is because there isn't a white character next to her for comparison. Which there really shouldn't have to be.

This outrage is genuinely pathetic. Nessa being shown slightly lighter isn't some grand white-washing scheme by hundreds of "racist" artists. Every artists has a different personal palette and color design to their art. Some choose to have pastel colors, while others might show things lighter because they have darker darks, that's how they show contrast.

It’s also a FAN artist. It literally will never affect the actual game.

This is why the people make fun of “SJWs”. Seeing racism everywhere you see is laughable.
Agreed, I have seen someone attacking an artist for drawing Marina under sunlight, which is ridiculous, it's just applying a lighter shading for some realism. It's not whitewashing if you draw a black character under a light source.

Because when you shift those colors slightly, they don't change much.

I tried to replicate it somewhat in photoshop, first by brightening the overall palette of the official artwork to account for the pastel art style-

And then shifted the color slightly on a second layer overlaying the first with a hard light filter-

I think the colors came close. Filters and pastels do weird things. The only reason that art looks whitewashed is because there isn't a white character next to her for comparison.
Kinda really like the hair colour on the second one tbh.

Honestly I'm not taking anything any of you say seriously. Because majority boils down to defending colorism, whitewashing, and generally missing the point. Anyway argue at the wall for now I'll be back in a few.

Honestly I'm not taking anything any of you say seriously. Because majority boils down to defending colorism, whitewashing, and generally missing the point. Anyway argue at the wall for now I'll be back in a few.View attachment 119993
Like y'all are legit arguing with black people and black artist about how THEIR SKIN works under different lighting it's legit not adding up :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom