• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Pokemon in your opinion is the most underrated?

Elektross, I don't see it in anyone's favorite Pokemon list and I rarely see anyone using it. The great thing about it is the fact that it's the only Pokemon left with no weaknesses unless you use a Pokemon that has some variation of Mold Breaker or you have a Zygarde with Thousand Arrows. It's great to make your opponents waste PP on moves like Earthquake and Earth Power while also scaring Water and Flying-types.

Unown. I only see people complain about how weak they are, forgetting entirely about the neat aspects of the Ruins of Alph, Movie 3, Address Unown and Sinjoh Ruins. Sure, it would be great if their in-battle performance reflected their lore, but it isn't necessary for them to get some love. Get over yourselves, Pokemon fans.
Cosigned. I still think of Unown as a legendary because of Movie 3 to this day.

I think Maractus is pretty underrated. It's maraca bunny cactus with a cute little kitty smile and unicorn spike. and the Mankey line. It's just an angry little ball of fur. It can't NOT be angry, and that's kind of adorable (and a lil horrifying considering some newer dex entries) Just conceptually there is nothing not to love about these mon combined with them being cuties (unlike Audino or Leavanny which I only like because they re just so cute).

I don't know about super underrated, but I think Archen should get more of the limelight. Literally an adorable BIRB. How can you not fall in love?!

Also, this

Lanturn. It's pretty bulky, not super slow, has a useful type combo, the very handy Volt Absorb ability (which is a godsend for a Water Mon), and it's pretty cute (which, considering the species it's based off of, is a good thing, as that thing won't win any beauty pageants). Plus I like the fact that both the male and female are the same, as, again, the species it's based off of has a very, VERY pronounced gender difference. It makes for a rather handy Water Mon with the added bonus of the Electric-type thrown in, and is quite a good contender as a Surfer in the Johto games.

Froslass. I have never seen her in teams on Battle Spot.

I've used Froslass myself, and I like including her on my team. She's got good special attack and speed, and even though she's frail the Cursed Body ability makes up for it (as well as Destiny Bond). Snow Cloak isn't bad either if you're using a Hail team.

I get that she's a popular pokemon concept-wise (with all the fanart) but battle-wise she's pretty rare and underrated.

Even though it’s a gen 1 Pokémon, I would be remiss not to mention Jynx in a “most underrated Pokémon” thread.

Controversy aside, Jynx has never really gotten a fair shake...either she’s forgotten because the fanbase consists primary of boys or she’s regarded as creepy which is not entirely unjustified but whatever.

As for me, when Pokémon first came out I was a boy who was drawn to feminine things...a “tomgirl” I called myself. I always played as Peach or Chun-Li depending on the game and I’m still not entirely sure why but they just appealed to me more. So seeing Jynx in the Player’s Guide for the first time I was immediately hooked. It helped that the only one available in the American Gen 1 games was a trade nicknamed “Lola”, which immediately appealed to my previous obsession with Space Jam.

It wasn’t until much later when I considered strategy that I realized how useful she was in a play through of Gen 1. She of course has the broken at the time Psychic type and paired with Ice possesses a combo that’s still unique to her evolution line to this day. She’s definitely been overshadowed by newer Pokémon who pull the vibe off better - look at the popularity of Gardevoir and even Gothitelle is more well regarded. But I refuse to pretend the original “giant woman” doesn’t exist, even if she’s the most likely Kanto Pokémon to not make the Galar dex.
Finally, another person that likes Jynx. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have beaten almost everyone in Stadium.

Unown. I only see people complain about how weak they are, forgetting entirely about the neat aspects of the Ruins of Alph, Movie 3, Address Unown and Sinjoh Ruins. Sure, it would be great if their in-battle performance reflected their lore, but it isn't necessary for them to get some love. Get over yourselves, Pokemon fans.
On one hand, I do dislike how it was portrayed in the anime since it's actually extremely weak, on the other hand, I have nice memories of my bootleg Silver that for some reason translated Hidden Power as TEA. I wonder if someone else has a copy of that one bootleg.

I guess that I see your point, but as someone who played the game first (like most, I'd wager), their movie role was such a pleasant surprise.

Why Perish Song? Do tell! (I love Perish Song)
its ability is good when oponent needs to switch out and in. If it could self use perish song or be a ghost and use curse that can be taken off with switching then it would be perfect. Best way in doubles with 6 pokemon but in singles you can try to use a partner who uses perish song or ghost+curse and switch out for it.

What a pitty that Gumshoos ability doesnt rise its power when it self enters battle too or is forced out by oponents move then the ability Stakeout should work like auto Pursuit and always hit the oponent before he switches himself or you out of battle or should activate too if oponent has Runaway ability.

its ability is good when oponent needs to switch out and in. If it could self use perish song or be a ghost and use curse that can be taken off with switching then it would be perfect. Best way in doubles with 6 pokemon but in singles you can try to use a partner who uses perish song or ghost+curse and switch out for it.

What a pitty that Gumshoos ability doesnt rise its power when it self enters battle too or is forced out by oponents move then the ability Stakeout should work like auto Pursuit and always hit the oponent before he switches himself or you out of battle or should activate too if oponent has Runaway ability.

Oh wow I guess you're right! For me, my main focus is always trying to make Perish Song the star of the team. Too bad there aren't many Shadow Tag/Arena Trap/trapping users to make it as versatile as I would like. I have never thought about making Perish Song the enabler of another gimmick though! Stakeout really does punish the opponent in that regards; it baits them into switching out meaning easy double power or pursuit plays. Thank you! This is amazing.

Thats why traping and binding moves are there. Hope that we will get a sound trapping move and a new shielding move that traps too. Arena trap with a grass pokemon, shadow tag with a dark/ghost type Magnet Pull should trap steel and electric types and make users immune to steel type moves. Yes Perish song is great would be cool to get a dragon with it i. future. Thanks for the conversation.

Froslass. I have never seen her in teams on Battle Spot.

I've used Froslass myself, and I like including her on my team. She's got good special attack and speed, and even though she's frail the Cursed Body ability makes up for it (as well as Destiny Bond). Snow Cloak isn't bad either if you're using a Hail team.

I get that she's a popular pokemon concept-wise (with all the fanart) but battle-wise she's pretty rare and underrated.

#GiveFroslassAMegaEvo

I thought it was an excellent second evolution to give to Snorunt. I did use her in one of my Platinum runthroughs too. I thought she was an excellent, especially with that speed. When paired with Snow Warning Abomasnow, I think her Blizzard is absolutely devestating.

In competitive, everything but her speed is pretty lacklustre so I can understand where it is coming from. I think she is an excellent spike setter and a good destiny bond bait though!

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom